chwe

Daily (tech related) news diet

@chwe I've read your post before souper , I didn't read the whole story ...

During souper, watching TV, the same subject comes there in the news ...

In summary from Canadian's news, this chinese scientist is braking ethic rules a lot, the reportage says that if he would do what it did in Canada, he could ended-up with 10 years of prison.

I hope those "newly baken childs" won't become "monsters" since "crisp" isn't safe at all !

probably in most countries around the world. China has the most liberal laws when it comes to genetics.. Might be a reason why a bunch of researchers in this area moved to China.. :rolleyes:

On 11/28/2018 at 2:21 AM, martinayotte said:

I hope those "newly baken childs" won't become "monsters" since "crisp" isn't safe at all !

Depends on definition. :rolleyes: As far as I know (and I'm neither an expert in genetics nor crispr), crispr as a technique should be save.. But I would assume we're far away from a complete understanding of our DNA... So we might 'cut out' peaces which shouldn't be cut out.

[this part may be a bit 'too general' but I think it's better not going too much into details here...]

Our DNA is the 'blueprint' for all the proteins and they organize then 'more or less' everything else. 3 nuclebases (T, A, C, G - called a codon) from our DNA coding for one amino-acid and a bunch of amino-acids 'glued' together together (sometimes) with some modifications form a protein.

dnacode.gif

There's some more stuff involved (e.g. RNA) but let's be simple here. Except Methionine (Met) there's always more than one combination which ends in for the same amino acid - nature is smart here, we've redundancy... But there are still possibilities which are not here in this list (e.g. AAA) this parts were called 'junk DNA' in the past before we figured out that it isn't junk... At least not all of it..

It's still not fully clear what the purpose of those non-coding areas of our DNA is for.. We might need it even when we don't understand (yet) what it is for. Also knock out a protein which might save this kids from HI-Virus might not be 'as cool' as you think.. Maybe the same protein has another job which we still need.. Well, only time can tell us if it was a 'good idea'. I personally think we shouldn't mess too much with stuff we don't understand. Interestingly, in a lot of tech-forums/ tech-sites the comments below such articles were more open to modify ourselfs.. Partly arguing with stuff like: humans don't have evolution pressure anymore that's why we should start to 'optimize' ourselfs cause nature can't help us anymore.. What an arrogant position and IMO complete bull shit! There's still evolutionary pressure, maybe not the same kind of pressure a bacteria has.. But not the same doesn't mean ours is weaker.. It's just a different one.

Personally I think let humans be humans, rice be rice and corn be corn, I'm not a big fan of GMO food (and newly GMO babies) but our American friend here might have a different opinion on this.. :P It solves us some problems, but it might open new ones in the future (a bit like nuclear plants :lol:)..

On 11/28/2018 at 2:21 AM, martinayotte said:

with 10 years of prison.

well but he's still the first..

I think this liberal stand-point on genetics 'motivated' researcher to try something like that. If you think you don't have to fear the consequences for doing something like that, you might do it. Let's see what happens.

I try to eat organic when available and cost effective.  I also grow my own vegetables in the summer.  I also cut all the high-fructose corn syrup and a lot of sugar out of my diet, unless I need something to mix my rum or whisky with.  :lol:

Playing with genetics seems a risky game, but then again scientists love diving into the unknown and the loud ones live lives of pure hubris, thinking their tiny addition to the sum of humanity's knowledge somehow makes them a god.  

I made bacteria lightening green years ago.. :D Am I god now?:ph34r::lol:

iynetvhle9yz.jpg

The gene came from some animals living in the ocean and expressed in a bunch of different cells.. mostly bacteria like E. Coli...

If you now freak around with this gene-sequence you'll end like this:

800px-FPbeachTsien.jpg

The diversity of genetic mutations is illustrated by this San Diego beach scene drawn with living bacteria expressing 8 different colors of fluorescent proteins (derived from GFP and dsRed)

but it's not just joking around making pictures with bacteria you normally find in your toilet...  Normally you add those GFP gene-sequences to something interesting. E.g to a protein of interest. With a fluorescence-microscope you can now look were this protein is:

120217-occludin-fluorescent-protein.jpg

or when attached to cells in animals it looks like this:

769px-GFP_Mice_01.jpg

and no, that's not photoshop... those mice 'light' up green when exposed to UV light. Normally such experiments are strictly controlled, you're not allowed to manipulate a mouse without clearance from the govt. You write a proposal and govt. and people related to ethics check it if it's ethically acceptable and if it's worth. In china the 'bars' for such an approval are lower that's why a lot of researcher in this field moved to China. I've never worked with animals so I never had to deal with such proposals.

Behold the @chwe!  He brought light to the Goo!

16 hours ago, chwe said:

those mice 'light' up green when exposed to UV light

I see no downside to fluorescent mice and rats, as long as the genes don't make them poisonous to all the benefiting cats.

https://whyevolutionistrue.wordpress.com/2018/12/15/the-face-in-the-feces-nature-paper-hides-trumps-visage-in-a-monkey-turd/

well read it on your own.. I better don't comment on this one..

Only thing I can tell you cause I've access to the full-paper (paywall).. it is there, it's not some sort of a 'hoax'.. chance that this happens 'by mistake' are rather low cause you normally check your stuff really well before send it to nature (they only accept roughly 10% of the stuff which people want to publish in it... ).

German politicians may realize that collecting too much data can bite them back... :rolleyes:

https://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/Gehackte-Daten-Politiker-beklagen-schweren-Angriff-auf-die-Demokratie-4265847.html (German)

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/01/04/germany_mass_hack_merkel/ (English)

"Contact details such as hundreds of mobile phone numbers and addresses of politicians from the Bundestag and partly also from state politics were reported,"

Besides politicians (from most parties except the one which sits on the right side of the Bundestag) also journalists and a few comedians were targeted. Welcome to #Neuland! They might realize that data collection isn't always the best option.. Just a few weeks back Germany's 'Digital State Minister' claimed that privacy in health care data blocks the country from 'being on top in digitization'.. (https://www.onlinepc.ch/business/digitalisierung/datenschutz-blockiert-digitales-gesundheitswesens-1664217.html) well, hopefully all her friends in the party which have a leaked phone numbers tell her that privacy isn't such a bad thing.. :rolleyes: (I've no idea if her number was leaked as well, but it might help her to understand how much privacy is worth)...

Don`t ever give your kids a name, use a whistle sound instead. You`ll spare them a lot of misery.

`Hey pfwwwtwt, go help pfjuttfju do the dishes.`

That`s what you get when `professional politicians` take decisions what should be made by professionals in the given domain. They know almost nothing about it, in times where everything keeps getting more complicated.
And listening to experts isn`t their best aspect. They must always know better...

Germany + collecting data = bad memories

38 minutes ago, NicoD said:

That`s what you get when `professional politicians` take decisions what should be made by professionals in the given domain.

well we have what you would call a militia parliament.. It's not always that they understand stuff better.. :ph34r: But hey.. data is the new oil.. we might need a few exxon valdez'es or deep water horizons to figure out how this new oil is handled safely..

some other bad jokes..

• we don't understand it fully yet but let's build up a cartel (that's some years ago for the real oil)...
  • wherever the pipeline goes.. someone is upset
  • once it's in the environment it needs years until it disappears..

seems that this 'dataset' also contains information of their kids (account-names etc.), maybe this helps them a bit to understand the issue better...

cloud-cloud-cloud-everywhere.jpg

feeling like grandpa simpson

old.jpg

11 hours ago, chwe said:

may realize that collecting too much data can bite them back

I suppose this a call from you against: Vorratsdatenspeicherung

While in this case no Internet-Provider where hacked, they mention AWS, Twitter and such instead.

As nobody from the right side was attacked, it looks to me like a strike to the left. Well, the Munich guy who kicked Linux away in favor of Microsoft  got hopefully hacked too :-)

wow.. nice bacteria rick and morty fun :D 

Hey look I setup gyroscope sensor with arm cpu to move this around anyone care? probably not :''(

someone try to set it up with your armbian handhelds for auto orientation, the sensors called gy-521