La Frite (AML-S805X-AC)

Igor_K

On 6/19/2019 at 3:09 PM, gounthar said:

Same here. Too bad we did not get any tracking number...

Yeah, no tracking number here either.  My order just appeared via local courier on Monday.

They said they'd have an OS image up by (last) Wednesday, but nothing yet.

14 hours ago, Stephen Craig said:

Mine arrived yesterday and I'm using an image meant for La Potato which is meant to work.

...which image?  And a reference to where it should work?

On 6/21/2019 at 6:36 AM, MartyPG13 said:

the board does appear to seek the USB at power on and interesting goes to a network boot when the USB seek fails.

IIRC it should present itself as mass storage that you can burn an image to if you plug it into a PC.

Still waiting on mine, so just bouncing ideas around.

La Potato has a different SoC - I did try the Armbian image for that on the Frite when the board first turned up on the off chance that it might have some compatibility,  but it just boot loops.

Libre Comps posted up on the Kickstarter page that the images would be available in 24-48 hours time, two days ago. It's a no show of course. Given how delayed the board was, I expect Armbian to become available before the official images turn up :) I've got a Pi4 to play with till then, but I did quite like the idea of Frite being cheap and more open.

Edit: A headless image is available now apparently: http://share.loverpi.com/board/libre-computer-project/libre-computer-board/image/debian/libre-computer-aml-s805x-ac-debian-stretch-headless-mali-4.19.56%2B-2019-06-26.img.xz (343 MB)

4 hours ago, MartyPG13 said:

La Potato has a different SoC

Sort of.  it is still a Meson-GXL, think of it the same was as an Allwinner H2+ when compared to an Allwinner H3

On 6/26/2019 at 4:11 PM, MartyPG13 said:

I've got a Pi4 to play with till then

I've heard there is no plan for proper bootloader support or EXT4 boot support, apparently Broadcom parts can't do what literally any other SoC is capable of from SPI flash...  So unfortunately I doubt Armbian will ever officially visit that board either...

On 6/28/2019 at 12:52 AM, TonyMac32 said:

Sort of.  it is still a Meson-GXL, think of it the same was as an Allwinner H2+ when compared to an Allwinner H3

I've heard there is no plan for proper bootloader support or EXT4 boot support, apparently Broadcom parts can't do what literally any other SoC is capable of from SPI flash...  So unfortunately I doubt Armbian will ever officially visit that board either...

Maybe it won't take much tweaking, but La Frite didn't like the image for sure. I'll have a look at the Balbes images as jeanrhum has suggested might be compatible when I get a chance.

The lack of a proper bootloader on the Pi4 is a bit of a disappointment, currently it'll only boot from the uSD card too (it doesn't have the USB support of the Pi3 atm) which was a bit of a backwards step. I've found uSD cards suffer from corruption on power loss far too easily. I did a project using a Pi2 and stripped back Raspian build for a touch screen kiosk and it would happen consistantly after a few power yanks. Using the uSD simply as the bootstrapper with the OS on a USB stick stopped it from occuring and made it a reliable solution -(which is the only solution that works on the Pi4 atm) .The prototype kiosk was used for over a year on site without issues.

The lack of a 64 bit OS is also hampering the Pi a bit - on paper the Pi4 should cream the La Frite, but running a simple sysbench on the two, the Frite comes out miles ahead. I understand the want to keep backward compatibility, but the option would be nice at least. 

On 6/29/2019 at 1:20 PM, MartyPG13 said:

The lack of a 64 bit OS is also hampering the Pi a bit - on paper the Pi4 should cream the La Frite, but running a simple sysbench on the two, the Frite comes out miles ahead. I understand the want to keep backward compatibility, but the option would be nice at least. 

If you provide more than one opportunity, people will choose the wrong one.. :ph34r::lol: Especially beginners, so I understand why they only provide one... less support, less trouble and likely 'better performance' (at least up to the 3b+ with limited memory). I assume the zero will get an update next with a a53 or a35 core with a slightly higher price cause hey it's x times more performance right (never mentioned that this 5$ was just a very successful marketing gag)? So that they can slowly fade out support for RPi 1 and the early 2 versions without a53 cores.

16 minutes ago, shaneq718 said:

Mine (apparently) arrived yesterday.  I'm pretty excited about the new hardware but i think the Raspberry Pi has made me lazy...i'm just used to burning an SD and getting on with things

different board diffrent use-cases. I actually forgot to back the campaign but it has 15.5MB more SPI NOR Flash than the new RPi which offers some nice opportunities.. :D

btw. are the DTS files already out for the board? Didn't check progress much.

Hi

La Frite S805X

I have problem with detection emmc module Debian Stretch provided by Libre Computer.

1. Put micro-sd card with flashed Debian 9

2. put power

3. boot from micro-sd

4. login

5. Mount emmc module

6. lc_redetect_emmc - no vendor found???

emmc module is good - working on la potato -im enable to flash armbian

7.What is wrong?

3 hours ago, constantius said:

Hello

I have info from libre that their debian img is broken alpha version.  

Right, but they are to update soon, if not already (haven't checked in the last day).

I have booted the debian XFCE image successfully. Works great but seems to be without GPU acceleration at the moment on that image.

Speedwise runs more smooth than I expected. Firefox and LibreOffice work great. Even faster off the eMMC.

Hello
Did you run debian with emmc? On the forum loverpi again describe problems with flashing emmc. This is supposed to depend on which of the usb ports you put sd-card on. It seems that this is just another approximation to the goal. It has grown terribly and I do not want to read it all. It seems that if the armbian team does not take it for it will be hard. Please do not treat this as a reminder. It's sarcasm. That's why I decided on a small monthly donation. Maybe in China they can produce SBC but their software is always susceptible to it being. I am angry because I damaged the emmc module myself from this fastening and unpinning.

6 hours ago, constantius said:

Hello
Did you run debian with emmc? On the forum loverpi again describe problems with flashing emmc. This is supposed to depend on which of the usb ports you put sd-card on. It seems that this is just another approximation to the goal. It has grown terribly and I do not want to read it all. It seems that if the armbian team does not take it for it will be hard. Please do not treat this as a reminder. It's sarcasm. That's why I decided on a small monthly donation. Maybe in China they can produce SBC but their software is always susceptible to it being. I am angry because I damaged the emmc module myself from this fastening and unpinning.

Yes, I flashed from the USB into the eMMC using an included utility with this command:

$ sudo lc_distro_transfer libre-computer/aml-s805x-ac /dev/mmcblk0

OK GPU is working actually, had to input this command to get it to work. Part of it is in the readme.php in the repository where the images have been uploaded by the guys @ LoveRPi.com

sudo update-alternatives --install /usr/local/lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/mali mali /opt/libre-computer/model/aml-s805x-ac/mali/lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/gl4es 100

then using sudo update-alternatives --config mali chose the gl4es entry just added

after that glxinfo and glxgears worked! FPS counter and everything.

Video: 

Debian images README: http://share.loverpi.com/board/libre-computer-project/libre-computer-board/image/debian/README.php

Total Linux noob by the way but I like to tinker. README.php has no indication of this gl4es entry, although it is included in the image.

Added a wip target to the build system, it is dev kernel only, and builds just fine, however booting is another issue I've not spent a lot of time with yet:

Found U-Boot script /boot/boot.scr
3048 bytes read in 11 ms (270.5 KiB/s)
## Executing script at 08000000
154 bytes read in 5 ms (29.3 KiB/s)
## Error: Can't overwrite "ethaddr"
himport_r: can't insert "ethaddr=00:50:43:84:fb:2f" into hash table
8101414 bytes read in 217 ms (35.6 MiB/s)
16093192 bytes read in 416 ms (36.9 MiB/s)
libfdt fdt_check_header(): FDT_ERR_BADMAGIC
No FDT memory address configured. Please configure
the FDT address via "fdt addr <address>" command.
Aborting!
232 bytes read in 26 ms (7.8 KiB/s)
Applying kernel provided DT fixup script (meson-fixup.scr)
## Executing script at 34000000
## Loading init Ramdisk from Legacy Image at 13000000 ...
   Image Name:   uInitrd
   Created:      2019-08-12   5:04:59 UTC
   Image Type:   AArch64 Linux RAMDisk Image (gzip compressed)
   Data Size:    8101350 Bytes = 7.7 MiB
   Load Address: 00000000
   Entry Point:  00000000
   Verifying Checksum ... OK
ERROR: Did not find a cmdline Flattened Device Tree
Could not find a valid device tree

The device tree is there in the /boot/fdt/amlogic folder, and the script is the same for Le Potato/ Khadas Vim/Nanopi K2 and works.

[some minutes elapse]

I think I found it, the printenv (had to figure out the UART, not an easy task) shows me

fdtfile=libre-computer/aml-s805x-ac/platform.dtb

...which is completely wrong in a normal context, where it should match the linux device tree:  meson-gxl-s805x-libretech-ac.dtb

I'll try to figure that out later.

_            _____     _ _
| |    __ _  |  ___| __(_) |_ ___
| |   / _` | | |_ | '__| | __/ _ \
| |__| (_| | |  _|| |  | | ||  __/
|_____\__,_| |_|  |_|  |_|\__\___|

Welcome to Ubuntu Bionic with Armbian Linux 5.2.8-meson64
System load:   1.23 0.45 0.17   Up time:       5 min
Memory usage:  11 % of 967MB    IP:
CPU temp:      55°C
Usage of /:    4% of 56G

Well then.  Give me a few to get it committed.

_            _____     _ _| |    __ _  |  ___| __(_) |_ ___| |   / _` | | |_ | '__| | __/ _ \| |__| (_| | |  _|| |  | | ||  __/|_____\__,_| |_|  |_|  |_|\__\___|Welcome to Ubuntu Bionic with Armbian Linux 5.2.8-meson64System load:   1.23 0.45 0.17   Up time:       5 minMemory usage:  11 % of 967MB    IP:CPU temp:      55°CUsage of /:    4% of 56G

Well then.  Give me a few to get it committed.

Omg it's happening!!!!!!

OK, so, if you are the sort to build it yourself, you can.  It's under WIP/CSC, and is currently kernel 5.2.y.  You can do a couple things, one is to flash the image (using etcher) to a USB keyfob, the other is to update your firmware, then use a USB A to A cable from the closest USB port to the IR sensor.  Power up, hitting escape to interrupt the boot process, then type in

ums 0 mmc 0

to get the device to show up on the host computer.  The use etcher to flash the image right to the eMMC on the La Frite.