La Frite (AML-S805X-AC)

Igor_K

A very thank you to TonyMac32 and the great Armbian comunity!

I've compiled the desktop image with no special options (just select the target) and everything is running very nice.

The CPU clock is set to max 1.5 GHz, slightly overclocked but it runs without headsink around 50-60 °C on high loads the temperatur rise up to around 65-68 °C in my case.

OpenGL (glxgears) and Gles2 (es2gears) runs fine, even the WebGL in Chromium is supported.

Video is not HW accelerated in included mpv and Chromium, I think there are any patches needed, but its ok at the moment.

I have only one problem, there is no audio. Only the DummyOutput is present. aplay -l says no soundcards found...

dmesg has no message related to "sound" or "audio". USB soundcard works pretty well but is not that great experiene :)

Can someone give me a hint to get sound working? load missing modules etc.?

For easy testing, the image i compiled can be downloaded here (7zip file): https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Xl-4_R1aolxJMZFqlZdb0voNxOxbJ4PC

regards

Let me know if anyone experiences HDMI issues, my 2 monitors are somehow always problematic, but the u-boot video drivers appear to have some quirks to them just plain angers my hardware.  My Waveshare 7" HDMI works fine other than some technicolor effects on the handoff from U-boot to the kernel.

With my 4K the board appears to be trying to jump 4k60 and the monitor simply rejects it outright, the HDMI-DVI adapter just doesn't like to work randomly, it seems to stem from U-boot.

I don't know S805X, but S905X (khadas VIM1) doesn't work well with some HDMI TVs, eg Samsung TVs.

My 4K Samsung TV, S905X failed to set to 4K mode, TV shows unsupported mode, this issue happens on legacy buildroot kernel, and mainline kernel, but not on Android kernel.

10 hours ago, constantius said:

A 32 bit image would be suitable for la frite

Possibly, but making a 32-bit image for a 64-bit SoC is covered for those willing to do it themselves elsewhere in the forums.  I see no real advantages.

13 hours ago, ning said:

I don't know S805X, but S905X (khadas VIM1) doesn't work well with some HDMI TVs, eg Samsung TVs.

S805X is to the S905X what the H2+ is to the H3.  both are Meson GXL's.  Interesting, my 4K monitor is a Samsung, and it is 4K that appears to be the tripping point.  Perhaps a discussion with @Neil Armstrong may be helpful, although I've bothered him with these sort of issues before.

The WIP image, on a usb key, works well on two 1080p screens (Sony TV and Samsung monitor). There are only strange images and colors between the integrated bootloader and the kernel starting like on your 7" screen.

As a server image, it seems to work well and after install armbian-config, I was able to configure the board as easily as other sbcs supported by armbian. I suppose that simply halting the board is not possible since it reboots when you ask for it.

4 hours ago, TonyMac32 said:

Possibly, but making a 32-bit image for a 64-bit SoC is covered for those willing to do it themselves elsewhere in the forums.  I see no real advantages.

S805X is to the S905X what the H2+ is to the H3.  both are Meson GXL's.  Interesting, my 4K monitor is a Samsung, and it is 4K that appears to be the tripping point.  Perhaps a discussion with @Neil Armstrong may be helpful, although I've bothered him with these sort of issues before.

from amlogic maillist, 4K support is still under develop, right?

https://patchwork.freedesktop.org/series/65469/ 

https://patchwork.freedesktop.org/series/58725/

17 hours ago, ning said:

from amlogic maillist, 4K support is still under develop, right?

I would say yes, but BayLibre is also involved in the u-boot/kernel support of the Libre Computer boards, so I would guess all the current WIP is baked in. 

As far as it goes though, I set the resolution to 1024x768 and pluged it into my 4K screen and had no problem.  Jumped it to 1080p, also no worry.  Tried 4K and it failed.  The bootloader started in 4k successfully a few times, so my assumption is it is attempting to use the recommended resolution it gets back from the monitor, only something is going wrong a lot of the time, whether it is the HDMI support itself *or* it is the clock source/divider.

6 minutes ago, TonyMac32 said:

BayLibre is also involved in the u-boot/kernel support of the Libre Computer boards

may I ask the relationship between BayLibre and Amlogic, I barely see engineers from Amlogic submit patches to Kernel community

8 minutes ago, TonyMac32 said:

Jumped it to 1080p, also no worry.  Tried 4K and it failed. 

same as you. Only 4K failed. If you want to dicuss with @Neil Armstrong , my another 1080P Samsung TV, has issue with 1080P mode, for all kernels (Android, legacy, mainline), image is larger than screen, other modes works fine.

other HDMI screen works fine.

S805X doesn’t support 4K, even if it works some time, it’s not stable enough to consider functional, I sent fixes to Da for that, but he’s still testing them.

any (binary) edid dump would help !

and for 4K development, the hdmi2 yuv420 4k60 mode is only used on Cheap 4K TVs, workout this patchset you’ll have 4k30 just fine

7 hours ago, Neil Armstrong said:

S805X doesn’t support 4K,

how about S905X? For Android OS shipped with Khadas VIM1 it supports 4K60, but its framebuffer size is 1080P in this mode.

On 8/23/2019 at 9:33 AM, ning said:

how about S905X? For Android OS shipped with Khadas VIM1 it supports 4K60, but its framebuffer size is 1080P in this mode.

I will double check this, but my "Le Potato" board seems to have no trouble with 4K screens (I don't often test this feature, it's my main monitor, I don't have a second test monitor so the test is a little disruptive of my work flow)

[edit[ It took it a long time to bring up the desktop on this 5.3 RC kernel, but Le Potato:

Screenshot_2019-08-25_02-29-40.thumb.png.b9e4f73d528279ae3f3972ba87853dcc.png

installing armbian-config and the full desktop on top of the minimal image runs like a champ on this La Frite! Thanks so much guys for this awesome work (in progress :D)

and temperatures around 15C (on idle, ~60C on LibreComputer current desktop images) less than with the desktop images direct from LibreComputer, WOW! Even overclocked to 1.5GHz! You guys rock for a nightly image!

Set up my La Frite earlier this week as a unifi controller - it was impressively easy. Maybe 15-20 minutes total including updating the bootloader etc. I donated a few Euro, since I really appreciate this project making it so easy to get Debian/Ubuntu onto ARM hardware like this.

Everything has been working quite well. Only issue I noticed is the readme describes writing the image to an SD card, which this device doesn't have (maybe its just generic instructions?). Either way, booting in USB disk mode from uboot and dd'ing the image to eMMC works just fine.

Edited by acwell
clarification

On 9/4/2019 at 2:51 PM, djismgaming said:

installing armbian-config and the full desktop on top of the minimal image runs like a champ on this La Frite! Thanks so much guys for this awesome work (in progress :D)

and temperatures around 15C (on idle, ~60C on LibreComputer current desktop images) less than with the desktop images direct from LibreComputer, WOW! Even overclocked to 1.5GHz! You guys rock for a nightly image!

Hi @djismgaming how you did you manage to move armbian to the eMMC?

Thanks

On 11/13/2019 at 10:28 AM, manuti said:

Hi @djismgaming how you did you manage to move armbian to the eMMC?

Thanks

Technically I flashed the image directly to the La Frite eMMC with etcher on a Debian 10 laptop via USB2. Using the bundled USB male to male cable.

Upon bootup, I press (a bunch of times) Esc on the keyboard connected to La Frite, then after ~3 seconds (start pressing from turning ON the La Frite) I press down 5 times, then Enter and it appears on linux as "Linux UMS" a 8GB drive you can flash to.

4 hours ago, djismgaming said:

Technically I flashed the image directly to the La Frite eMMC with etcher on a Debian 10 laptop via USB... 

Thanks. One more question. 

In which USB port you attach the keyboard and in which the male to male USB cable? 

Kind regards. 

25 minutes ago, manuti said:

Thanks. One more question. 

In which USB port you attach the keyboard and in which the male to male USB cable? 

Kind regards. 

No problem :D here to help any way I can. 

I used keyboard in right USB port and USB cable on left USB port. Looking at the board with CPU in the UP position and USBs towards me. 

The La Frite reboot every time I try to boot in eMMC mode USB. Any way to 'dd' the image on the eMMC? 

I can see the eMMC module from Armbian using lsblk command. 

I can't see eMMC install in armbian-config or use nand-sata-install because the system must run from SD card. 

Any idea to move armbian to the eMMC? 

Thanks 

On 11/17/2019 at 12:37 AM, manuti said:

The La Frite reboot every time I try to boot in eMMC mode USB. Any way to 'dd' the image on the eMMC? 

Solved: finally found a way. With keyboard attached (black cable in the below picture) to the further USB port from GPIO and USB male to male (light blue in the below picture) in the closest USB to GPIO and with additional power feeding from the micro USB. 

Screenshot_20191117_232753.jpg

IMG_20191117_182926.jpg

I've been trying for 2 days now to install Armbian on Le Frite... Can you help me guys please.

I attached keyboard to the further USB port from GPIO and USB male to male in the closest USB to GPIO and HDMI to TV.

But I cant get boot menu . I am pressing Esc but nothing but nothing happens.

I only get this shown in the picture https://prnt.sc/rdg3ck

What a problem this can be?

12 hours ago, Nevals_zgb said:

What a problem this can be?

What is your install media (emmc or usb)?

I tested armbian with one of the latest image (1 ou 2 weeks ago) and it worked using an usb key.

Have you updated the spi-nor firmware? Have you tried several usb keys?