New Odroid H2 with Intel

NicoD

Odroid has announced it`s new board. The Odroid H2. Not what I expected it to be.
But it does seem nice, but pricy.
https://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=32536

Specs
- 2.3Ghz Quad-core processor J4105 (14nm) with 4MiB Cache
- Dual-channel Memory DDR4-PC19200 (2400MT/s)
- Total 32GiB RAM Space with two SO-DIMM slots
- 4 x PCIe 2.0 for one NVMe storage
- 2 x Gbit Ethernet ports
- 2 x SATA 3.0
- SSE4.2 accelerator (SMM, FPU, NX, MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4.1, SSE4.2, AES)
- Graphics UHD Graphics (Gen9.5) 600 (GT1) 700Mhz
- HDMI 2.0 and DP 1.2 multiple video outputs
afbeelding.thumb.png.13a4a518778b0fd8e605f4f457db8f96.png

1 hour ago, NicoD said:

but pricy

Plus you would need (NVMe SSD or SATA disks) and SO-DIMM DDR4, since it does not have on-board eMMC and DRAM. These costs a lot, even for the cheapest setup.

2 hours ago, hjc said:

Plus you would need (NVMe SSD or SATA disks) and SO-DIMM DDR4, since it does not have on-board eMMC and DRAM. These costs a lot, even for the cheapest setup.

Indeed, good the eMMC seems the same as the XU4 and C2.

I've made a video about it. Here it is.

interesting that they want to dive into the Intel world.. Well I assume it's less work to maintain (e.g. just fire up a recent ubuntu and you're done no hacky arm digging in u-boot or kernel :lol:). CPU reminds me to the old AMDs 10/15 years ago where you always had to be afraid to kill it by mounting the cooler (kill one of those small caps on it and silver thermal paste was the standard so shorting was also an option :lol:). A nice homeserver/NAS thingie for those who don't want to deal with arm. They planed funny cases.. e.g 'iteration iv':

odroid-h2_type-4_3.jpg

Spoiler

two of them and it looks like this one: :lol:

113142132-h-720.jpg

"every (patriotic) Swiss" would need two cause those trains are really famous here... :lol:

but consumption looks IMO impressive (I've to admit, I've no clue how much recent intel low-level CPUs normally need - my last intel was a 7'' atom tablet with 16GB ram and a crappy display for 40$ on discount :lol: the tablet collects dust and the USB charger is used to power an OPi Zero - they sent it with a good powering cable :lol: :rolleyes:

We measured the power consumption with an eMMC storage after booting Ubuntu 18.10.

Idle: 4Watt
CPU Stress: 14Watt
CPU+GPU Stress: 22Watt

7 hours ago, Igor_K said:

I think it can be a good option for a home server still.  I'm probably wrong but seems like other motherboards in $130-180 price range only support up to 16Gb RAM. 

And the intel specs say this.

Memory Specifications

Max Memory Size (dependent on memory type) 8 GB

Memory Types DDR4/LPDDR4 upto 2400 MT/s

Max # of Memory Channels 2

https://ark.intel.com/products/128989/Intel-Celeron-J4105-Processor-4M-Cache-up-to-2-50-GHz-

So total max ram size is 8GB, 16GB or 32GB.
I don't know if they tried it with 32GB. I would not want to be the first to buy 2x 16GB SODIMM and then notice it doesn't work. Would be an expensive case of bad luck.

On 10/19/2018 at 3:31 AM, NicoD said:

Odroid has announced it`s new board. The Odroid H2. Not what I expected it to be.
But it does seem nice, but pricy.

Yeah, I would agree - one you get into this level of capability - one is firmly in the Intel NUC space - whether Intel or others that use the same form factor...

Nice board however... the dual NIC's would make it interesting for networking purposes...