How to patch U-boot ?

I run Armbian tool ( checked out from  https://github.com/150balbes/Build-Armbian  )with command  ./compile.sh   CREATE_PATCHES="yes"  , but only see the request for patch the kernel :

[ warn ] Make your changes in this directory: [ /home/hanguofu/Build-Armbian/cache/sources/LINUX_DEFAULT/20180925 ]
[ warn ] Press <Enter> after you are done [ waiting ]  

I would like to patch the U-boot ( u-boot-aml-s9xxx  ) instead of kernel . Should I manually add the patch to the userpatches/u-boot   directory  for my aml-s9xxx board ?

1 hour ago, hanguofu said:

[ warn ] Make your changes in this directory: [ /home/hanguofu/Build-Armbian/cache/sources/LINUX_DEFAULT/20180925 ]
[ warn ] Press <Enter> after you are done [ waiting ]  

When you are using CREATE_PATCHES="yes" you do as the text tells: "Make your changes". You edit sources and when you press enter here a patch is made. This patch is used next time if you use CREATE_PATCHES="yes" and stuff is collecting there. When you move back to normal mode, this patch is not active and you have to place it to the correct subdirectory. Since this is not an official fork I can't tell exactly where, but somewhere under userpatches/kernel/xxxxx since you are editing kernel and not u-boot sources at this moment ...

Thanks for the tip. The point is : I would like to make change to the U-boot ( /home/hanguofu/Build-Armbian/cache/sources/u-boot-aml-s9xxx)  instead of kernel ( /home/hanguofu/Build-Armbian/cache/sources/LINUX_DEFAULT/20180925 ).

How to tell the tool to patch U-boot instead of the kernel please  ? I didnot find out such an option or compile switch.

Patching and patches creating order is always:
ATF (if exits)
u-boot

kernel

But as I said build script is a fork and could use a binary for u-boot or not building it at all. In that case, you can't do that.