Nodm is breaking things (Igor)

DeterminedOpier

Hi guys.  Igor if you are reading this, I'm Paul H. on the facebook Opi board.   

Just wanted to give you guys a heads up that I think something is breaking with the recent builds.  I did a standard download install on an opi plus (eos) and got nodm errors when I went to install the desktop. Then on second run it sent me into a menu to select lightdm or nodm, and I've never seen that menu before.  That installed some stuff when I selected nodm, but then failed.  Subsequent apt-get installs gave me nodm errors.   The desktop is not booting at all. 

So then I decided to move to a cubietruck and did the same thing, except it boots into the desktop and asks for password. 

Then I went to install gnome-terminal, which is mandatory because your terminal doesn't scroll, and I got the same nodm errors. Turns out gnome-terminal did install and I can use it though. 

I've installed Armbian like 100 times and I have a 1234 tattoo on the insides of my eyelids, so I don't think this is any of the standard sd card psu problems.  But I don't have time today to dig into other boards to see if something similar is happening.  This is the line of errors I got from apt get install.  You can see the white terminal screen working behind it. 

20181025_095828.jpg

So that worked, but I didn't end up with the regular old penguin desktop. I got the debian swirl desktop. And when it was installing the screen went black and gave me this weird white "can't find anything" message.  

I have a feeling that it has something to do with the new approach to the installation workflow. It used to reboot after you entered the new user, then it would come back on with the desktop (if you installed the desktop). Now if you want to install the desktop as a user, you have to reboot or su to that user.  But if you sudo, you create things as root anyway.  So I have no idea. I'm going to reburn the card and try it again I think. 

Yea I'm pretty sure that's it Igor.  I just re-burned the card and made sure to reboot after setting up my user, then ran the apt update/upgrade that is in armbian-config as the user, then rebooted and installed the desktop as the user.  Got a perfect penguin.  I'm thinking maybe put a message in after you create a user, or just force a reboot. 

7 hours ago, DeterminedOpier said:

I'm thinking maybe put a message in after you create a user, or just force a reboot. 

If you upgrade system packages (kernel) and if you login, it will tell you: "please reboot ..."

7 hours ago, DeterminedOpier said:

This was on opi plus btw. I haven't tried the cubie again. 

This bug is present everywhere, except on images 5.60+ 

Bug is fixed with the upgrade and to avoid this problem to happen, images must be rebuild. At this point, it's less complicated than developing new way of UX.