youtube tricks

Dave Kimble

My Prime is reasonably stable now, except for running youtube videos in fullscreen 1920x1080, which drives the heat up (I've seen 87 !), and after a few minutes freezes the video with the sound continuing.  I can't find any mention of YouTube in the documentation, and only video URLs in the forum. Is there some trick I have missed?

What board/SoC are you using? Which browser?

Vivaldi browser is a better browser for watching video on sbc`s.

Some arm64`s do great with firefox.

You can also use kodi to watch youtube.

Greetings

Orange Pi Prime (H5) and Firefox.

On amd64 the deb needs fonts-liberation and when I run it I get "Trace/breakpoint trap (core dumped)".

On armhf:

sudo dpkg -i /home/.../vivaldi-stable_2.1.1337.36-1_armhf.deb

dpkg: cannot access archive "/home/.../vivaldt-stable_2.1.1337.36-1_armhf.deb" : no such file or directory

Note the miss-spelling of vivaldi it has introduced itself and then complained about. I tried it a few times.

I don`t have an H5 board, don`t know about hw acc for that.
Try to download this with wget or firefox, if it`s a 64-bit os.
https://downloads.vivaldi.com/snapshot/vivaldi-snapshot_1.15.1147.32-1_arm64.deb

Use gdebi package installer to install it.

If you don`t have gdebi.

sudo apt install gdebi

If you need fonts-liberation.

Then do

sudo apt install fonts-liberation

Should work fine. I`ve trie it on many different sbc`s. armhf doesn`t work on 64-bit, no sound. arm64 doesn`t work on 32-bit. Cheers

I was trying to update my report with the vivaldi attempt, but got timed out.

Eventually I renamed and relocated the file, and gdebi picked it up. There were numerous unmet dependencies cured with --fix-broken and 83 MB of stuff. When run it says:

$ vivaldi-stable

No suitable library for HTML5 MP4 (H.264/AAC) was found,
therefore only open codecs will play.

But it works OK. Thanks.

What does Firefox not do that Vivaldi does?  Why isn't everybody jumping up and down about it?  Why isn't anybody at Mozilla fixing it?

2 hours ago, Dave Kimble said:

What does Firefox not do that Vivaldi does?  Why isn't everybody jumping up and down about it?  Why isn't anybody at Mozilla fixing it?

People of firefox don't care about Linux on ARM devices. It's been broken for a long time on armhf. Even on arm64 it crashes constantly.
This is a fork of Chromium. But better optimised for ARM. I don't know how, but on most arm devices the video playback is a lot better than Chromium. This without using hardware acceleration.

For example, on my NanoPi M4 I get 2/3 lost frames 1080p. While on Vivaldi it's only 1/3 lost frames.
I use it to surf on most devices since it's fast and stable.
Greetings.