Why copying to eMMC takes so long? 30min instead of 7 min

peter12

I made tests with Orange Pi 2+ to install Armbian to eMMC. But I have no idea why it takes 30 minutes to install. I assume write speed of eMMC to be 5MB/s (ok maybe it is even faster) and Armbian on SD card is about 2.1GB, so it should take ~7 minutes to copy files, plus some more minutes to finish final touches, let's say 15 minutes together. 
But why it takes more than 30 minutes? Is there any possibility how to reduce this time?

P.S. When I am burning armbian img to SD card, in 5 minutes I am ready to go and boot the system. 

44 minutes ago, peter12 said:

I assume write speed of eMMC to be 5MB/s

Content is copied over on the filesystem level to ensure universal approach.

44 minutes ago, peter12 said:

Is there any possibility how to reduce this time?

Direct copy (DD) which can run at the maximum r/w (sequential) speed can be used in some cases, but it is not implemented on all boards. You are welcome to join and it might be finished a few months faster. It's also possible to write image directly to eMMC, but is less user friendly. 

Another possibility to reduce this time is to use a quality SD card.

Edit: SD card, which we recommend at the download pages, is written and checked in 44 seconds. (1GB image size)

11 minutes ago, Igor said:

Direct copy (DD) which can run at the maximum r/w (sequential) speed can be used in some cases, but it is not implemented on all boards. You are welcome to join and it might be finished a few months faster. It's also possible to write image directly to eMMC, but is less user friendly. 

I am really interested in this - DD or eMMC - some step by step tutorial would be cool. I am trying to find something on google (for now I found this http://forum.banana-pi.org/t/how-to-use-dd-command-burn-image-to-emmc-and-boot-from-emmc/874).

16 minutes ago, Igor said:

Sure, but implemented solution would help us all.

I agree. 
By the way, I have one idea - I would like to pay some money for making life easier (e.g. like this my scenario, when I have more OPis and need to burn images from one pc at once/or from several SD cards but with higher speed). Probably you could have support service (charged of course) for these scenarios :)

4 hours ago, peter12 said:

Probably you could have support service

:) In last 12 months it was invested more than 20.000 USD of cash for help on the Armbian project. For solving our common problems.  Such as this. Sadly we can't afford to hire professional help.

2 hours ago, Igor said:

:) In last 12 months it was invested more than 20.000 USD of cash for help on the Armbian project. For solving our common problems.  Such as this. Sadly we can't afford to hire professional help.

I thought you could provide this pro help for customers who are willing to pay for it :)

1 minute ago, peter12 said:

I thought you could provide this pro help for customers

Sure, but for that I would need to kill the project ... since takes a lot of my time. 

24 minutes ago, peter12 said:

who are willing to pay for it

You are already having a depth for using a product and my time: https://www.armbian.com/donate/ Here is a good way to become a business partner to who I do provide some limited attention. Day have only 24h and paying customers already wait weeks->months to get reply. I certainly don't need more load.