Rock PI 4

mboehmer

Hi all,

a new RK3399 board appeared, it is called RockPi4

I have two of these beasts here already, and they works nicely - I like the small details about it (nice eMMC fixture, all heat plates on the bottom side for simple cooling, and an M.2 PICe slot for my second network card :)

Do you see any chance to get Armbian working on that beast, and if so, what can *I* do (with my limited experience in kernel programming)?

Debian is working on it already, in case you need more specific information please let me know.

Any help is appreciated.

So far, Michael

@mboehmer It's a sexy board. Looks like the perfect RPi 4B. But I bet the real RPi 4B want be this powerful and cool.
I also hope Armbian can support this board, I think it will depend on how many are sold, and how many people ask for it. So good thing you've asked for it.

I hope to get a RockPi4 too to review. Good luck with it.

Hi Igor,

yes... I know. I have patches prepared for Uboot 2018/Odroid C2, Tony takes already a look on.

I'm not a kernel programmer, but willing to test - needing a starting point, i.e. someone to include the RockPi4 into the Armbian development tool.

So, instead of pointing me to the general "contribute" page, what would be the best "first step" for me?

Michael

3 hours ago, mboehmer said:

I'm not a kernel programmer,

Project needs various help. Dealing with "boring"  bash scripting perhaps? Writing docs, maintaining some board, ... there is plenty of things. Read that page again. 

Hi Igor,

I'm a VHDL programmer mostly, with C on microcontrollers. Bash is out of my reach - too complicated...

Honestly, if I can contribute by different means, I will do (and will read that page again, as suggested).

Are you sure that there is really no FPGA to be programmed? :)

So far, Michael

So, to get back to facts, build is running, may take a while.

Just compared the RockPI4 with the NanoPC-T4. Seems a good choice for starting, bioth RK808D and RT8211E are the same.

Audio circuit is different, the RockPI uses an ES8316 instead of ALC5651.

Wifi/BT is at least similar, on the RockPI there is an AP6256, compared to the AP6356 on the T4.

IR is missing.

Update: NanoPC T4 image compilation succeeded, but fails booting. It starts the BL31, but hangs after two NOTICE lines.

BL31 version of original image is different to the one used in NanoPC T4 image.

I can post both boot logs, if anyone is interested (good ol' FT232AM works with 1.5MBaud, while Prolific fails :) )

28 minutes ago, mboehmer said:

BL31 version of original image is different to the one used in NanoPC T4 image.

It is maybe the same issue I'm facing for RockPro64 where I'm not able yet to have a working U-Boot ...

In the mean time, as a temporarily workaround, I'm overwriting the u-boot sectors of freshly built image with the ayufan one.

21 hours ago, martinayotte said:

It is maybe the same issue I'm facing for RockPro64 where I'm not able yet to have a working U-Boot ...

likely(http://wiki.radxa.com/Rockpi4/getting_started):

LPDDR4
64bit dual channel LPDDR4@3200Mb/s, 1GB/2GB/4GB optioal

as far as I know, all boards which work with upstream u-boot are DDR not LPDDR based...

At least they implement PD properly.. Hopefully they deliver a proper heat-sink for it.

Did you ever diff'd ayufans u-boot against upstream? :lol:

Interested to purchase this board. They are not on sale yet, right?

Edit 001:

In the wiki, i see a buy link

http://wiki.radxa.com/Buy

Then i proceed to allnet

https://shop.allnet.de/detail/index/sArticle/297717

i can only see option to login and merchant registration.

* Already set language to English.

Normal consumer can't buy from this page?

RockPi4 sales start officially today. I got two preproduction run boards, one was clearly not yet optimized in soldering :)

Accoridng to revision printing on silk screen it's the final version being sold.

One issue only so far: the M.2 adaptor is from a different board, but works electrically.

2 hours ago, mboehmer said:

RockPi4 sales start officially today. I got two preproduction run boards, one was clearly not yet optimized in soldering :)

Accoridng to revision printing on silk screen it's the final version being sold.

One issue only so far: the M.2 adaptor is from a different board, but works electrically.

Could you share the link to purchase?

I'll have to get my house in order (Mess-on 64) and Rocktastrophe), this board does look interesting, although that M.2 seems awkward, and the typical "both sides must be smart" statement for the USB-C PD.  There will be a lot of low-information users having problems with this board.

On 11/10/2018 at 5:57 PM, 062621AM said:

Interested to purchase this board. They are not on sale yet, right?

Edit 001:

In the wiki, i see a buy link

http://wiki.radxa.com/Buy

Then i proceed to allnet

https://shop.allnet.de/detail/index/sArticle/297717

i can only see option to login and merchant registration.

* Already set language to English.

Normal consumer can't buy from this page?

The following link from their forums seems to allow you to buy them. But the board only options are sold out. 

https://shop.allnetchina.cn/

If someone in Europe is interested into buying it here is the link for the 4GB RAM with Dual Band Wifi model available on two webshops:

And yes they both sell also to private users. ;)

48 minutes ago, Cr4z33 said:

Wow. That's expensive. I thought they were cheap, didn't see any pricing yet tho. So thanks for the info.
I've got a 4gb one comming for review, but it's held by customs since last week. I hope it'll get cleared and I don't need to pay taxes.

23 minutes ago, Cr4z33 said:

Oh and btw this is what is written in their FAQ:

That's good news for everyone. I hope their software is ok now. I'll let you all know when it arrives.