1 1
TonyMac32

Le Potato / C2 / K2 4.19 LTS testing thread

On debian stretch:

Linux lepotato 4.19.8-meson64 #5.67.181210 SMP PREEMPT Tue Dec 11 00:22:25 CET 2018 aarch64 GNU/Linux

and on my PA248Q ASUS 1920x1200 monitor:

HDMI to HDMI ok (even hotplugged)

HDMI to DVI ok but 'lazy' (required several plug/unplug reboot attempts)

hotplug USB mouse ok

hottplug USB keyboard NOT OK

Recap of desktop usability problems I can see:

-slow windows resizing in XFCE (waiting for HW OpenGL acceleration by Lima project)

-chromium windows not integrated in XFCE destop environment (top right buttons missing)

-no video acceleration in Chromium or mpv media player (waiting for that as LibreComputers's plan)

[mention=3841]Tommy21[/mention]You won't have OpenGL acceleration, but yes should be able with the actual images. With a Bionic ubuntu desktop image, you should be able to select wayland gnome at the login prompt.

Yeah, i do know it will be without OpenGL, and it will stay that way until Lima driver starts supporting it?

About Gnome, synaptic has 3.2.x version, i've read that 3.30 versions are Arm supported, and there is no way to add 3.30 gnome repo, maybe only way is to compile it from source?

All of them unfortunately. They (almost*) all work on boot now after the last few patches you recommended)posted, but switching resolution is a problem on all, and hot plugging can result in only part of the screen showing output. Switch from higher to lower res results in a garbled display.

* The 4k display boots in 1080p with a strange interlacing pattern making only some of the desktop accessible. A plug cycle and it is fine, as long as the whole screen displays the desktop (black bar at the bottom possible seemingly at random).

[Edit] I will dump xrandr data from a different board arch (or maybe just older kernel) for these, the resolutions/frequencies look different than I'm used to seeing with the current Meson64.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

with Bionic:

Linux lepotato 4.19.9-meson64 #5.67.181213 SMP PREEMPT Thu Dec 13 23:45:38 CET 2018 aarch64 aarch64 aarch64 GNU/Linux

I also installed desktop env via armbian-config

HDMI to HDMI ok (even hotplugged)

HDMI to DVI ok

-hotplug USB mouse ok

-hottplug USB keyboard OK, better than in debian Stretch

-no CPU temp in htop

-slow windows resizing in XFCE (waiting for HW OpenGL acceleration by Lima project)

-chromium windows IS integrated in XFCE destop environment, better than in debian

-no video acceleration in Chromium or mpv media player (waiting for that as LibreComputers's plan)

-better low res youtube video than in debian

So desktop usability in bionic appears to be better than in debian Stretch.

@TonyMac32

trying to do what you asked for I chose:

1600*1200

but it doesn't work and that resolution put the monitor output in an inconsistent state (mirrored stripes)

Now I need to reset a working resolution via CLI in order to continue the testing. Trying to recover I had no success: I opened a virtual terminal and:

$ xrandr -q
Can't open display

Please, give me guidance.

On:

Linux lepotato 4.19.10-meson64 #5.67.181217 SMP PREEMPT Mon Dec 17 14:21:39 CET 2018 aarch64 aarch64 aarch64 GNU/Linux

ARMBIAN 5.67.181217 nightly Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS 4.19.10-meson64

HDMI to HDMI ok

HDMI to DVI  NOT ok

So I can see a regression here.

@rino so you connect the same screen via HDMI and "HDMI to DVI" and only the "HDMI to DVI" fails ?

What is the resolution selected via HDMI and "HDMI to DVI" ? is that 1920x1200, 1920x1080 or 1600*1200 ?

On 4.19 I added a "generic" support for all monitors, but I waited for feedback to know if it failed on some monitors.

Let me check

@Neil Armstrong   

> so you connect the same screen via HDMI and "HDMI to DVI" and only the "HDMI to DVI" fails ?

That's correct I just tested it again: HDMI to HDMI works but HDMI to DVI does not. I got a blank screen and after several minutes I only obtained an unusable flahing armbian/penguin desktop background with a lot of green tone instead of the usual black one.

That's with the last bionic: ARMBIAN 5.67.181217 nightly Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS 4.19.10-meson64.

Before, with bionic "Linux lepotato 4.19.9-meson64 #5.67.181213 SMP PREEMPT Thu Dec 13 23:45:38 CET 2018 aarch64 aarch64 aarch64 GNU/Linux", HDMI to DVI worked. It's a regression.

> What is the resolution selected via HDMI and "HDMI to DVI" ? is that 1920x1200, 1920x1080 or 1600*1200 ?

1920x1200, that's the default for my Asus PA248Q monitor.

Please explain here how to change resolution via CLI (i.e. UART console).

>  What did you change between the 4.19.9-meson64 and 4.19.10-meson64 kernel

I think nothing. In both case I started from the fresh beta bionic image and added the full desktop via armbian-config (beta bionic image has not the desktop, instead the stretch one has it).

I should suggest to add the desktop part to the bionic beta image because so the desktop user experience is not bad.

For example I can see  music videos in lowres from youtube with a fair user experience.

During the shutdown on the uart console:

[ 4460.137855] meson-i2s-dai meson-i2s-dai.4.auto: Unable set to set i2s description
[ 4460.227077] meson-i2s-dai meson-i2s-dai.4.auto: ASoC: can't set meson-i2s-dai.4.auto hw params: -22

2 hours ago, Neil Armstrong said:

4.19.9-meson64 and 4.19.10-meson64 kernel ?

Nothing, I'm not sure the mention of "regression" was discussing the minor revision number, but more likely the 4.19 kernel itself.  @rino can you confirm?