Le Potato / C2 / K2 4.19 LTS testing thread

TonyMac32

One Potato, two Potato:  I picked up the smaller 1gb board as a backup to my 2gb Potato running:

Linux lepotato 4.19.20-meson64 #5.75 SMP PREEMPT Fri Feb 8 10:08:40 CET 2019 aarch64 GNU/Linux

So thanks for fixing that issue for the 1gb boards!  I also pulled up a browser to push it a little, and am impressed with the swap tuning/optimization even when using just the sd card.  An emmc is in my future, but for now on a casual use basis, I can't tell much of a difference in responsiveness between either the 1 or 2gb version for medium duty use.  Nice work.  It's why I like Armbian for tweaking the internals as compared to just a standard install.  I think attention to hard core swap tuning paid off so I don't have to mess with it!

No problem with a wireless dongle (model EDUP-AC-1619 [Realtek RTL8811AU]), even when hotplugged.  Mind blown.  Sometimes on the 5.8g side, I'll have to connect to a "hidden" network that actually isn't hidden, and has good signal strength once connected.  Or even if the 5.8ghz signal is not detected, it *eventually* finds and connects.  Who knows if it's the network manager, driver, or whatever.  Not a showstopper, no big deal.  Small beans. :)

Monitor:  22-inch HP22CWA.  Armbian looks great with default monitor settings.

Note: I still power-off in the terminal (tricking the blob) using

sudo shutdown -H now

and everything shuts down nicely leaving only the red led on the Potato illuminated, and the display falls asleep.  I don't use the XFCE4 shutdown, logout, or restart functions but rely on the terminal instead.  

You guys are rockin' my Potatoes!

Edited by PDP11
card identification AND monitor notes

On 11/19/2018 at 7:46 AM, TonyMac32 said:

Kernel 4.19:   This will eventually become the "Default" kernel, once it has been debugged and proven out, as Amlogic Mainline kernels can now be easily patched with full video decoder support (already done), and Mali support is available (I need to finish integrating that, later date)

I have C2, K2 and LePotate on my desk and doing nasty things to them. Is there any point to keep 4.14.y in? Shell we make the default 4.19.y, and set next to 5.0.y or leave as is, at 4.19.y and later move 5.1.y there?

59 minutes ago, Igor said:

later move 5.1.y there?

Since 5.1.y came out today, I will start switching the DEV to it, especially that I've done most of the job already for AllWinners, but never commit it ...

5 minutes ago, martinayotte said:

Since 5.1.y came out today, I will start switching the DEV to it, especially that I've done most of the job already for AllWinners, but never commit it ...

Great! I also did a quick check on meson64 within 5.1 - at least one patch needs a close inspection.

11 minutes ago, TonyMac32 said:

if you have time do upgrade testing to make sure nothing weird breaks

I am working on it.

19 hours ago, TonyMac32 said:

My machine is making images again, so I will also start working through these.

Tested upgrade/downgrade in all directions. Works, kernels updated ... 

On 5/9/2019 at 10:45 PM, JMCC said:

BTW, seems like the Lima driver has been accepted for 5.2. Looking forward to seeing it released :thumbup:

I hope it will perform better on this platform. On Allwinner we have it implemented since 4.19.y ... performance is low and not really usable. But its a progress and I hope development will move on.