running a Raspi with a WD elements with 1 TB and USB 2

malaga

hello dear all , good evening dear Arm-Experts and all Armbian-supporters,

normally i am on Banana-Pi and Orange-Pi, on Udoo and Ordoit - all of those run with Arm-Operating-Systems from this great site.

today one little question - i have with Raspi:

I’ve just purchased a Raspberry Pi 3 and i’ve installed OpenElec onto the raspi so that i can run the Kodi. After this step - after this first step - I’ve succesfully set it all up and i’ve managed to get the USB ports.

It seems to be working with a wireless wifi dongle. And that seems pretty fantastic. I am glad about this. So the next thing i did is to add a keyboard.i took a wireless keyboard. I’ve also set kodi to see the folder on another NAS.

so far so good: The problem i have is that kodi cannot see my external HDD which is plugged into a spare USB port. The HDD is a WD elements with 1 TB and USB 2 . The good thing: it has its own power supply. Its got an NTFS file system and this works on my linux machine, my Windows machine and my Linux-Machine.

Well - i guess that i have to putty into the openelec and try to mount so that i have somewhat like so; /dev/sdb1

is this correct

look forward to hear from you

greetings

1 hour ago, malaga said:

Well - i guess that i have to putty into the openelec and try to mount so that i have somewhat like so; /dev/sdb1

Yes, log into your board, check what "lsusb" is reporting. If USB disk is there, check what "fdisk -l" is reporting.

It is possible that NTFS driver isn't provided, in such case you either need a custom kernel with NTFS enabled, or change partition of the drive in EXT4 and reformat it

NTFS is not a good idea with Raspberry Pi. I have many issues related to file permissions and overload the system. If you can switch to a native Linux file system, like ext4 or btrfs, you can achive better results and performance.

Also, I kindly recommend using  OSMC as Kodi better than OpenElec.

Y si eres de Málaga que haces preguntando tan lejos pudiendo preguntar en un sitio perita como mi blog!!!  https://raspberryparatorpes.net/

15 hours ago, manuti said:

Also, I kindly recommend using  OSMC as Kodi better than OpenElec.

I wouldn't say OSMC is better. It is different.  And it probably fits better for some use cases but not for others. 

In general, OpenELEC is considered a dead project, LibreELEC can be a better option. It has a vibrant community and it is in an active development.