Unable to enable analog audio on Renegade ROC-3328-CC

zaphod79

Hello,

I am trying out the latest Armbian image on the Renegade board and after several hours i still do not the analog audio to work. Only the HDMI output is found and used.  

With the Ubuntu images provided by Firefly, the analog audio works fine, so we can exclude that it may be a problem with the hardware.

I have seen in this forums such descriptions for other boards with the 3328 CPU, but from my understanding do that solutions not fit for the Renegade.

May somebody provide me a hint, how to activate the analog output?

Here you can find the Armbianmonitor output:

http://ix.io/1vHd

Here you can find information about the board.

https://www.armbian.com/renegade/

Thank you in advance!

Best Regards,

Jens

Thanks for your quick answer.

In armbian-config -> system i can´t see a submenue "hardware". I checked all available menues and could not find anything related to the analog audio.

No, aplay does not show the analog soundcard.

firefly@renegade:~$ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: rockchiphdmi [rockchip,hdmi], device 0: ff000000.i2s-i2s-hifi i2s-hifi-0 []
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

> Did you configure /etc/asound.conf for the analog soundcard?

This file is not available on my system, at least not in this folder.

>Did you raise the volume in alsamixer?

The output is nowhere to be seen, as such also no volume for it. The general volume is fine, but using HDMI output instead.

@zaphod79

Hey. I just checked my own RK3328-CC and I can't speak for other people, because I'm not sure what they are using this board for, but alsamixer doesn't show much. I did attach a generic USB Stereo Sound Adapter (SD-UAUDV1-C119) and it did appear to at least recognize it.

I know it's a bit of a "dick punch" but it might be a route worth taking? If sound at the end of the day is what ur going for.

nuffin.png

GUSBAUDIO.png

gusb.jpg

@Cornelius: You are right, alsamixer does not show much information and it seems to have no right to change settings. An external device USB would be a workaround, but i would than need also an USB hub, so i will end up in periphery taking more room than the board and housing itself ;-). If there is no other way i will do this, but as the sound works with the image from firefly i am still hoping that it can be turned on somehow.

@TonyMac32: Great, thank you!

19 hours ago, zaphod79 said:

In armbian-config -> system i can´t see a submenue "hardware". I checked all available menues and could not find anything related to the analog audio.

> Did you configure /etc/asound.conf for the analog soundcard?

This file is not available on my system, at least not in this folder.

if there is no hardware entry in armbian-config there is a small chance by adding the analog-codec overlay to

/boot/armbianEnv.txt

as

overlays=analog-codec

(when there is no other overlay already loaded with overlays=   else add analog-codec after a space)

The /etc/asound.conf isnt created automatically - you have to create this file by yourself :)

But firstly you must have the analog device available in aplay before you can use asound.conf and alsamixer.

2 hours ago, guidol said:

if there is no hardware entry in armbian-config there is a small chance by adding the analog-codec overlay to

/boot/armbianEnv.txt

as 

overlays=analog-codec

(when there is no other overlay already loaded with overlays=   else add analog-codec after a space)

The /etc/asound.conf isnt created automatically - you have to create this file by yourself :)

Thank you! I configured the overlay, but after a reboot both aplay as also armbian-config look like before.

Thanks also for the hint with asound.conf, if i get the analog device available in aplay, i will google how that file works.

So it appears to be a problem in the default kernel config.

# CODEC drivers

# CONFIG_SND_SOC_RK3328 is not set

After enabling that "CONFIG_SND_SOC_RK3328=y" and compiling a new kernel using the Armbian build script, the on board analog audio port now works, but I'm still unable to control it using alsamixer. So my question is: What else am I missing here?

I don't have a DE installed on the board, so I have no idea how it looks on that end. I was able to plug in some headphones and with moc adjust the volume level and play an MP3. So yeah that works.

am-rk3328.png