Lichee Pi zero

TonyMac32

Didn't know this thing was ever going to see the light of day:  https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Lichee-Pi-Zero-1GHz-Cortex-A7-512Mbit-DDR-Development-Board-Module-Mini-PC/32931418720.html

I see the original board outline is still there, but it grew a bit of a waistline  :lol:

A valid question is why, and I'm not sure, nor will I buy it, just thought it interesting that it popped up.  With complete kernel support for VDEC/VENC/ camera this is actually somewhat interesting, so maybe some people would like to play with it.  I'm sure @Icenowy knows more than is humanly possible about the capabilities and whether it's worth talking about.  ;)

On 12/16/2018 at 5:57 PM, martinayotte said:

I won't buy it either since the only shipping offered is DHL at US$29, making a total at US$45, too expensive ...

at least here we've china post air mail as option which is for free. So you get it for 16$. IMO without interfaces for 11$ is more useful to make a wifi webcam.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/NEW-Zero-1-2GHz-Cortex-A7-512Mbit-DDR-Core-Board-Development-Board-Module-Mini-PC/32945243814.html?gps-id=pcDetailBottomMoreOtherSeller&scm=1007.13338.112281.000000000000000&scm_id=1007.13338.112281.000000000000000&scm-url=1007.13338.112281.000000000000000&pvid=507845c1-3086-4a08-a50d-04e35f6fb2bf

I think it's not that easy to manage everything with 64mb ram. If I've @tkaiser comment right in mind at least 32mb are needed for the video stuff..

1 hour ago, chwe said:

at least here we've china post air mail as option which is for free.

You're lucky ...

Usually I can get china post too, for example from Xulung it is $4.95 if I remember, but not with this merchant ...

EDIT : Oh ! with the new link you've provided, I can get it to Canada for $2.35 standard mail ...

2 minutes ago, martinayotte said:

Usually I can get china post too, for example from Xulung it is $4.95 if I remember,

I've had $5 ChinaPost EMS ePacket from another vendor as well - sometimes slow and sometimes fast (last order was 5 days from Shenzen to San Diego, previous order was 3 weeks)

1 hour ago, chwe said:

I think it's not that easy to manage everything with 64mb ram.

Yep, it's a bit tight for a full flavored linux - but hey, OpenWRT/LEDE has squeezed into tighter footprints than 64MB...

I'm just a bit puzzled as to why Allwinner chose to not put some NAND in the package along with the DDR2 on the V3s - going TSOP was a good move, IMHO...

3 hours ago, TonyMac32 said:

Sorry, didn't read your posts, was curious as to the high shipping and noticed the smaller one.

:lol:

your link locks shorter.. I've no idea why all my aliexpress links are always that long.. :D

unfortunately MIPI (for rpi cameras) is still not mainlined for the V3s. The SoC should be able for mipi 2 lanes but it was never mainlined cause to my knowledge no one ever wired mipi properly out of their boards.

It would IMO be a perfect SoC for a real opensource web-cam security cam whatever cam but seems that boardmakers don't believe in it or that allwinner doesn't sell them to them.

On 12/16/2018 at 7:42 PM, TonyMac32 said:

.I have some V3s's lying around,

I've also one.. but actually never finished my first 'draft' of a V3s board with kicad.. I've also a free eagle license (students get such stuff here 'for free' to make them addicted).. let's see.. maybe we should team up. :D  In case you plan with it.. there is somewhere a free template for the SoC..

On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 9:29 AM, TonyMac32 said:

Didn't know this thing was ever going to see the light of day:  https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Lichee-Pi-Zero-1GHz-Cortex-A7-512Mbit-DDR-Development-Board-Module-Mini-PC/32931418720.html

I see the original board outline is still there, but it grew a bit of a waistline  :lol:

A valid question is why, and I'm not sure, nor will I buy it, just thought it interesting that it popped up.  With complete kernel support for VDEC/VENC/ camera this is actually somewhat interesting, so maybe some people would like to play with it.  I'm sure @Icenowy knows more than is humanly possible about the capabilities and whether it's worth talking about.  ;)

hi, do you have link for lichee pi zero hdmi adapter, lichee pi zero doesn't even show up itself in aliexpress search results.

3 minutes ago, ftp-bin2fex said:

hi, do you have link for lichee pi zero hdmi adapter, lichee pi zero doesn't even show up itself in aliexpress search results.

I know exactly as much about this board's availability as you do.  I accidentally happened across it the other day.

Someone needs to make a V3s board targeting rpi zero formfactor and price (5$). That might just make sense.
Assuming anyone wanted to make a profit I don't think that's feasible. Now, if the boards' literally a microSD card, USB port, and 40 pin header, it might be close, but my guess is even soldering down the camera connectors would make it tight.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

pi's ive had in order from best to worst

banana pi zero m2: browser starts in 1 second :o fastest portable pi ive had. 43 sec boot :/ I have to figure out faster boot

orange pi zero h2: I can get the fastest boots to desktop 18 sec, runs games I script ,cant get good resolution for this though, need to study it more.

orange pi one, has hdmi, awesome armbian desktop image good quality, fast, 25 sec boot my best.

raspberry pi zero, this thing is so slow can barely run my swf's I had satisfaction from snapping 2 of these boards with my hands that was the fun from it.

raspberry pi 2, this thing is no good I don't even boot it.

my next pi which I found out about here on this thread will be a lichee pi that's a really funny name XD and I like debian desktop but before I buy it I want to know how can I get some video, link me to a good display for this pi, im looking for maybe a 2.4" or around that to work with lichee pi.

I think SPI is your only real option, but I honestly haven't looked that close. So ili9341 or equivalent.

The RPi 2 is the only one in the series I would consider using. The 3 was a waste of time, the 1/zero too slow to use, generally.

For the car, use quality line and connectors, and double down on the Teflon tape, paying attention to wrap in the direction of the thread.

Another option is to use a GM LS series V8 with a turbo. (Heresy, I know, but sadly no one has done better so far, in terms of efficiency, package size, power, and simplicity, and cost). For inlines I agree wholeheartedly that Japanese motors reign supreme, but for V's, the best engines globally are the LS, the Chrysler Hemi, the Ford Modular, then the Japanese engines, with everyone else either being so exotic, expensive, or pathetic to not matter.

Or if you want to spend all of your money, take a second mortgage on your home, sell your children on the black market, and still get beaten, you could use a German engine.

On 12/23/2018 at 10:34 PM, TonyMac32 said:

Assuming anyone wanted to make a profit I don't think that's feasible. Now, if the boards' literally a microSD card, USB port, and 40 pin header, it might be close, but my guess is even soldering down the camera connectors would make it tight.

It would be interesting to see someone try. I'm sure it can be done, if raspberry is doing it with 512MB of ram (probably the bulk of the BOM).

7 hours ago, hojnikb said:

It would be interesting to see someone try. I'm sure it can be done, if raspberry is doing it with 512MB of ram (probably the bulk of the BOM).

I recall reading somewhere that the BCM2835 with the 512MB POP is $4USD - which if that were the case, the original Pi Zero was being sold at a loss... which is likely why neither Element 14 or Newark decided to build the boards, so RPF had to do it themselves for the limited runs rather than license the design over. Pi Zero W is similar, where RPF directly contracts with Sony UK for manufacturing...

(basically, the whole RPi design/build/distribute chain is weird compared to most...)

Allwinner A64 was quoted as $5USD in volume over on Olimex's blog... and A64 is pretty similar to H5

On 12/23/2018 at 4:17 PM, TonyMac32 said:

The RPi 2 is the only one in the series I would consider using. The 3 was a waste of time, the 1/zero too slow to use, generally.

Some RPi's are ok, some are ones to consider skipping...

My thoughts are that the Pi2 is the one to skip - as it's the same price point at the Pi3 - so the one RPi to get would be the Pi3 B+, which does have the good dual band wifi - and the Pi3 B+ has better network booting than the Pi3B, which for some can be important. Pi Zero W - well, it's pretty obvious that the Zero W is the choice for any BCM2835 based board, fair amount of utility for a 10 dollar board - as a demo, we did four Pi Zero W's connected to a Pi3 B+ for a Docker Swarm demo, which was kinda fun...

That being said - I'm rather happy with the FriendlyElec boards - decent pricing, and decently built. That, and I have this love/hate relationship with my Tinkerboard ;)

On 12/23/2018 at 6:24 PM, ftp-bin2fex said:

I already have ili9341. but what is the first out of the box thing to use the lichee pi as moniter,I think lichee pi has a ribbon cable connector for my 7" display idk if this is the 7" if that's the 7" can make a good car double din

Nice work - must have been a bit of effort to squeeze a liter of code into 250 ml bucket...