MALI T860 , has anyone successfully installed Panfrost on an RK3399 board ?

jerryn

I need one more component working.  3D and OpenCL.  Has anyone successfully installed Panfrost on a RK3399 board ?

Update!  I manged to build the Panfrost X11 driver.  Here's how I did it:

https://panfrost.freedesktop.org/building-panfrost-mesa.html

Before you create the build directory update the meson_options.txt file

change platforms from auto to x11

change dri_driver from auto to swrast

change gallium-drivers to panfrost

cd to the build directory

meson .. . -Ddri-drivers= -Dvulkan-drivers= -Dgallium-drivers=panfrost -Dlibunwind=false --prefix=/{wherever you want}

ninja install

before you start a program

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/{wherever your path is}

glmark2-es2

When I get home from work I will test further.

I will update later.  I wanted to post just in case anyone else wishes to try it.

I got to go to sleep, work tomorrow.

I have been playing with T86x on my NanoPi M4 and i can say 3D and OpenCL are working fine with the mali userspace blobs.

This blob setup below can save you a lot of sweat unless you really want to go with Panfrost.

I can run Kodi 18b5, which renders menu and video on mali.

Blobs used:

https://github.com/avafinger/nanopi-m4-ubuntu-base-minimal/releases/tag/v1.2.1

Hey Jerryn

I tried to build the panfrost following the instructions on the freedesktop.org but given up after a couple hours of trying to get all the build dependencies working.

panfrost requires libs that are a bit newer than what is shipped with armbian, so apt all the devel package won't work.

Would be interesting to find out what kind of distribution the panfrost people are using, surely they have a script to clone dependency trees automatically.

Just an unrelated observation, the panfrost people seems to prefer chromebooks over dev boards

On 12/16/2018 at 9:59 PM, @lex said:

I have been playing with T86x on my NanoPi M4 and i can say 3D and OpenCL are working fine with the mali userspace blobs.

This blob setup below can save you a lot of sweat unless you really want to go with Panfrost.

I can run Kodi 18b5, which renders menu and video on mali.

Blobs used:

https://github.com/avafinger/nanopi-m4-ubuntu-base-minimal/releases/tag/v1.2.1

@lex  

I'm trying to use the mali userspace blobs.   I used the link you sent.  

Here's what I see in the Xorg.0.log:

I followed the instructions, installed the dependencies and default OpenGLES/GL/CL first.

Is this error really due ot the xorg fbdev driver being loaded ?

[  1812.163] (II) LoadModule: "fbdev"
[  1812.163] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/fbdev_drv.so
[  1812.163] (II) Module fbdev: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[  1812.163]     compiled for 1.19.3, module version = 0.4.4
[  1812.163]     Module class: X.Org Video Driver
[  1812.163]     ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 23.0
[  1812.163] (II) modesetting: Driver for Modesetting Kernel Drivers: kms
[  1812.163] (II) FBDEV: driver for framebuffer: fbdev
[  1812.241] (II) modeset(0): using drv /dev/dri/card0
[  1812.241] (WW) Falling back to old probe method for fbdev
[  1812.241] (II) Loading sub module "fbdevhw"
[  1812.241] (II) LoadModule: "fbdevhw"
[  1812.241] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/libfbdevhw.so
[  1812.242] (II) Module fbdevhw: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[  1812.242]     compiled for 1.19.6, module version = 0.0.2
[  1812.242]     ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 23.0
[  1812.242] (WW) VGA arbiter: cannot open kernel arbiter, no multi-card support
[  1812.242] (II) modeset(0): Creating default Display subsection in Screen sect
ion
    "Default Screen Section" for depth/fbbpp 24/32
[  1812.242] (==) modeset(0): Depth 24, (==) framebuffer bpp 32
[  1812.242] (==) modeset(0): RGB weight 888
[  1812.242] (==) modeset(0): Default visual is TrueColor
[  1812.242] (II) Loading sub module "glamoregl"
[  1812.242] (II) LoadModule: "glamoregl"
[  1812.243] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/libglamoregl.so
[  1812.268] (II) Module glamoregl: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[  1812.268]     compiled for 1.19.6, module version = 1.0.0
[  1812.268]     ABI class: X.Org ANSI C Emulation, version 0.4
[  1812.268] (II) glamor: OpenGL accelerated X.org driver based.
[  1812.271] (II) glamor: EGL version 1.4 Midgard-"r14p0-01rel0":
[  1812.272] EGL_MESA_drm_image required.
[  1812.272] (EE) modeset(0): glamor initialization failed

I tried to build the xserver based on Rockchip xserver (debian) on Ubuntu, not much success. Broke font displaying on Desktop. 

Maybe you could ask for the patch on the RK32xx section, they have it working (armhf). I will give another try.

[    12.433] (==) modeset(0): Depth 24, (==) framebuffer bpp 32
[    12.433] (==) modeset(0): RGB weight 888
[    12.433] (==) modeset(0): Default visual is TrueColor
[    12.433] (II) Loading sub module "glamoregl"
[    12.433] (II) LoadModule: "glamoregl"
[    12.434] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/libglamoregl.so
[    12.907] (II) Module glamoregl: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[    12.907]     compiled for 1.19.6, module version = 1.0.0
[    12.908]     ABI class: X.Org ANSI C Emulation, version 0.4
[    12.908] (II) glamor: OpenGL accelerated X.org driver based.
[    12.973] (II) glamor: EGL version 1.4 Midgard-"r14p0-01rel0":
[    12.973] EGL_KHR_surfaceless_gles2 required.
[    13.038] (II) modeset(0): Using GLES2.
[    13.038] (WW) modeset(0): Glamor is using GLES2 but GLX needs GL. Indirect GLX may not work correctly.
[    13.038] (II) modeset(0): glamor initialized
[    13.074] (II) modeset(0): Output HDMI-1 has no monitor section
[    13.074] (II) modeset(0): Output DP-1 has no monitor section
[    13.157] (II) modeset(0): EDID for output HDMI-1
[    13.158] (II) modeset(0): Manufacturer: GSM  Model: 1  Serial#: 16843009
[    13.158] (II) modeset(0): Year: 2013  Week: 1

If you are using mainline kernel, maybe my armsoc X11 driver fork may work for you configuration. It has been developed on RK3288, but it seems it works good for RK3399 too.

It does not require any special X server, just compile it against stock one. It should work well with 2D and give 3D for mali blobs.

Some references are here

Cool! I will try building the forked x11 server tonight.

The 1080p video playback through fbdev is fine, no dropped frames. Mesa llvm... 1080p OpenGLis a slow slide show.

GLmark2-es2 full screen 23 frames /. Sec

Whats the benchmark with the Mali Blo s ?

Is the Mali T860 blob driver capable at 1080p ?  

If you get the xserver on Ubuntu (deb packages), please make a patch. Seems everyone else is using the Debian version which is older than Ubuntu. 

jock's solution sounds good to implement, maybe it works only on mainline.

Glmark2-es2 23 FPS scores look more rendered by software than by mali. On Mali, it should be 55 / 56 FPS (1920x1080).

* When i say fbdev i mean everything is rendered directly on /dev/fb0 and not having a Desktop and going CTRL+ALT+F1 to get into console ( framebuffer )

Edited by @lex
framebuffer

On 12/17/2018 at 8:41 AM, codnoscope said:

Hey Jerryn

I tried to build the panfrost following the instructions on the freedesktop.org but given up after a couple hours of trying to get all the build dependencies working.

panfrost requires libs that are a bit newer than what is shipped with armbian, so apt all the devel package won't work.

Would be interesting to find out what kind of distribution the panfrost people are using, surely they have a script to clone dependency trees automatically.

Just an unrelated observation, the panfrost people seems to prefer chromebooks over dev boards

On 12/17/2018 at 8:41 AM, codnoscope said:

Do you have a link t

I built Jock's forked X11 armsoc driver,   Installed and configured the Malie BLOB rpm and configured for X11.

Rebooted.

I ran glmark2-es2 :

=======================================================
root@nanopct4:~/Desktop# glmark2-es2 --fullscreen
    glmark2 2014.03+git20150611.fa71af2d
    OpenGL Information
    GL_VENDOR:     ARM
    GL_RENDERER:   Mali-T860
    GL_VERSION:    OpenGL ES 3.2 v1.r14p0-01rel0-git(966ed26).f44c85cb3d2ceb87e8be88e7592755c3
[build] use-vbo=false: FPS: 11 FrameTime: 90.909 ms
[build] use-vbo=true: FPS: 13 FrameTime: 76.923 ms
                                  glmark2 Score: 12 

I checked the Xorg.0.log.. armsock_dri isn't installed.  Isn't that part of the armsoc driver build ?

[   732.501] (EE) AIGLX error: dlopen of /usr/lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/dri/armsoc_d
ri.so failed (/usr/lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/dri/armsoc_dri.so: cannot open shared o
bject file: No such file or directory)

Without armsoc_dri I'm stuck software rendering.

If you have armsoc_dri.so can you attach it to this thread ?

I'm pretty sure I'm getting close to getting hardware acceleration working on my nanopc-t4 

Edited by jerryn
Update

It's beginning to WORK!  What I did was search for the Mesa Libraries,  remove them.  run ldconfig.   Install Jocks's X11 Armsoc Driver, Install @lex's Midgard Mali T86 Blobs.  run mali-config.sh for x11.  At first I though not successfull because glmark2-es2 has poor benchmarks.  I compiled and installed the GL4ES wrapper, and updated my xorg.conf.d configurations.  Here's what's working:

If you look the config over and notice someting that will slow down glmark2-es2 , please let me know.

bzflag is playable at full 1080p, High Quality setting.  Armegetron plays well 1080p, all options turned up. 

Pretty soon I will be able to experiment with GnuRadio and get the more complex configurations that require a GPU running.

I am not sure why Supertuxkart does not work.  Maybe gl4es does not support some of the GL code used ?

I will attach a screenshot to this,  if anyone knows, please update the thread.  

Thanks everyone for your help!

10-armsoc.conf

-----------------------

Section "Module" 
    Disable "glx" 
    Load "dri2" 
    Load "glamoregl" 
EndSection 

Section "Device"
        Identifier "Mali FBDEV"
        Driver "armsoc"
#    Option          "fbdev"                 "/dev/fb0"
        Option          "Fimg2DExa"             "false"
        Option          "DRI2"                  "true"
    Option        "DRI"         "2"
        Option          "DRI2_PAGE_FLIP"        "false"
#        Option          "DRI2_WAIT_VSYNC"       "true"
    Option "AccelMethod" "glamor"
    #       Option          "Fimg2DExaSolid"        "false"
#       Option          "Fimg2DExaCopy"         "false"
#       Option          "Fimg2DExaComposite"    "false"
        Option          "SWcursorLCD"           "false"
    Option           "UMP_LOCK"   "false"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Default Screen"
    SubSection "Display"
        Depth 24
        Modes "1920x1080" "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600"
    EndSubSection

20-modesetting.conf

------------------------------

Section "Device"
     Identifier  "Rockchip Graphics"
     Driver      "modesetting"
     Option      "AccelMethod"    "glamor"
     Option      "Dri2Vsync"      "false"
 EndSection

Screenshot_2018-12-21_19-46-55.png

Update.  With GL4ES we have OpenGL 2.1.   It's not adequate for Dolphin. The version in the Armbian repo does not support EGL.  I'll download the source from GIT and compile/test an EGL version.

Right now I am building apps that will work.   GQRZ works,   now I am building an optimized version of CubicSDR.  Maye tonight I'll try to get the Pothos Suite built.   OpenGL 2.1 should be fine for LiquidDSP.

Building a portable SDR with the NanoPC-T4 looks promising!  Building a Gaming Media Center.. well I've got the Media Center working, but gaming is going to take some work yet.

Ahhh, mixing modesetting and armsoc is not a wise idea, actually I don't know what is going to be chosen by X11 server. I have my own rule for xorg.conf files: the less configuration you write the best it performs. Nowadays X.org is doing good job at autoconfiguring itself, and the configuration files are there for "little" adjustments. Normally, for example, modelines and resolutions are autodetected by the driver and you should not specify them manually (you can also take a look to the detected modelines in /var/log/Xorg.0.log file if you want).

Normally to enable armsoc you just need:

Section "Device"
        Identifier "Mali FBDEV"
        Driver "armsoc"
EndSection

in 10-armsoc.conf, leave also the "default" armbian configuration file (which should be already in xorg.conf.d directory) and remove everything else. Most of the all the other settings are bogus things you can find in various forum threads. People added them without knowing anything of the driver or mixing configuration options from other drivers, in fact there are no references to such options in the source code.

About the missing armsoc_dri.so file, this is expected but should not be harmful for OpenGL ES applications.

The slow performance of glmark2 can be related to the very old packaged version shipped with ubuntu/debian. Usually it is always suggested to compile the latest stable source code from sources (which I think can be downloaded from github) for reliable and up-to-date performance.

@JMCC is working on a script which install all the drivers and some goodies for RK3399 devices. He already did such script for RK3288 and it is the reference for all the multimedia things for that platform.

5 hours ago, jerryn said:

Screenshot_2018-12-21_19-46-55.png

I remember having similar issues when coding a visualizer with OpenGL, on a Nvidia/Intel laptop.

Turned out that I didn't set up the texture sampler correctly while the documentation clearly stated that not doing so might result in black sampling (aka. (R, G, B, A) = (0, 0, 0, 1) in Khronos terms).

In my case, the mipmaps that were not setup... Mipmaps are triggered mostly when the texture is bigger than the area to draw.

I don't know if you can select output quality on SuperTuxKart, but if you can, try setting as low as possible and see if that still generates issues. Try also expanding the window and see if the black squares expand a little more.

"Maybe" SuperTuxKart does not set up the textures, and still run fine on some platforms that have decent default textures sampler parameters.

Or maybe the drivers are just bugged.

Still, if you can run "apitrace" on it, it might provide some OpenGL trace that you can playback on other machines, or share, to determine if the issue is a driver issue, or some non-conformant OpenGL call procedure.

apitrace works like this :

apitrace trace -a egl -o output-name.trace /path/to/your/opengl/program arguments to the program

Thanks!   Apparently the GL4ES wrapper does not support the opengl version than supertux requires:

OpenGL: OpenGL version is too old!

[info   ] IrrDriver: OpenGL version string: 2.0 gl4es wrapper 1.1.1
[warn   ] Graphics: Can not find version for '2.0 gl4es wrapper 1.1.1' 'GL4ES wrapper' - ignored.
[warn   ] irr_driver: Using the fixed pipeline (old GPU, or shaders disabled in options)

I'm  goig to recompile the wrapper, maybe it wasn't build for OpenGL 2.0 support.

3 hours ago, jerryn said:

Thanks!   Apparently the GL4ES wrapper does not support the opengl version than supertux requires:

OpenGL: OpenGL version is too old!

[info   ] IrrDriver: OpenGL version string: 2.0 gl4es wrapper 1.1.1
[warn   ] Graphics: Can not find version for '2.0 gl4es wrapper 1.1.1' 'GL4ES wrapper' - ignored.
[warn   ] irr_driver: Using the fixed pipeline (old GPU, or shaders disabled in options)

I'm  goig to recompile the wrapper, maybe it wasn't build for OpenGL 2.0 support.

you can export LIBGL_ES=2 environment variable and retry launching the binary.

Normally GL4ES supports a variety of OpenGL 2 functions, but some are missing. The documentation on official github page covers them in detail

I rebuilt Supertuxkart with  OpenGLES 3  support.   It works but I need to get a fan.  My board is runing at 85C right now.

I'm working on rebuilding CubucSDR.  Rebuilding Wxwidgets .. hopefully will work with gl4es.

I'm also working on fixing plexmediaplayer.. after I installed gl4es, plexmediaplayer segfaults.   ran gdb and did an apitrace.   

On 12/22/2018 at 8:30 PM, jerryn said:

I'm also working on fixing plexmediaplayer.. after I installed gl4es, plexmediaplayer segfaults.   ran gdb and did an apitrace.   

Have you tried the newest FriendlyCore image? I just red it should support 4k video decoding.

17.1 2018-12-19 FriendlyCore is updated as follows:

1) Added OV13850 and wide dynamic OV4689 camera support
2) Added ffmpeg support, provides static libraries and header files, supports 4K hardware decoding (does not support hardware encoding)
3) Added mpv player, supports 4K hardware decoding

I'll try it later in the week.

I want SuperTuxKart too, if you're ready, please share. Thanks.

I managed to get everything working in Armbian.   I left the board running Armagetron AI matches overnight to burn it in with all graphics options turned up.   My board failed.. It no longer boots.  When looking at the status led it does not flash.  I tried maskedrom boot off the sdcard, nothing.

The last time I checked the CPU temp while the burn-in was running was 64C.  Not enough to destroy the board at all.  

Amazon is sending me a replacement.  I should have another board to experiment with sometime next week.

Hi.

Why is the 2d drawing in X11 so slow? If you use mali blobs, the scrolling in the Windows is delayed, moving the Windows is done with jerks. Even when display compositing is enabled, you can see how the under level Windows are redrawn in parts. If you do not use mali blobs, the scrolling in the Windows is excellent. But the Windows move slowly. When the compositing is disabled, the window can reach several (5-7) seconds. One would think that the graphics accelerator and processor are slow. But I have experience using weaker devices (e.g. tegra k1 or exynos with mali t6xx). There such delays are not observed even in the mode without hardware acceleration.

Check to see if you are actually utilizing the blobs.   You can check your Xorg logs to see if the driver is fully loading, because if it doesn't , depending on your X config, it could fall back to X11/fbdev

I had full Mali support running.     For burn-in I left Armagatrond running and video for my Plex server transcoding in the background.  My nanopct4 failed and would no longer boot. I shipped it back to Amazon and they sent me a replacement. I've since scrapped using the nanopct4 as a media device / Dolphin EMU game platform.     Now I am only using the nanopct4 as a media storage device and backup server.   

Now my media device / Steam game playform is an Intel NUC. At least the Intel GPU is well supported, no need to deal with blobs.   And It did not burn up during "burn-in".  

I might use the nanopct4 as an Arduinio controller. But I still would want to see a fully Linux supported GPU. (waveform display)   Also.. EGL belongs with Android, I want OpenGL 3+ on ARM.

I don't think the T860 is slow.  I think the T860 support is sub par.

20 hours ago, jerryn said:

EGL belongs with Android, I want OpenGL 3+ on ARM.

it does not belong to anything specific - it's just a glue to window system (like GLX,WGL,AGL,etx).

and it's up to vendor to support it or no, as well as Desktop OpenGL.

If you want OpenGL 3(or higher) on ARM - only NVidia Tegra and their Jetson boards have full support of both OpenGL for Desktop and for Embeded Systems(aka ES) on Linux/arm, as well as GLX and EGL window glue. And it's hard to believe, that ARM proprietary drivers or Biforst/Mesa will have similar to Nvidia level of OpenGL support under Linux/Android (and yes, you can use Desktop OpenGL on Nvidia android tablet/tv box too ;) ).

Edited by Tido
updated info about NV/Android