Odroid C0/C1/C1+ - please update the mainline kernel version

hin246ho

There are updates in the most recent mainline kernel about the Odroid C0/C1/C1+ board:

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/log/?h=v4.20&qt=grep&q=odroid

The armbian image with the mainline kernel have not been updated. Could you please update it? I would like to use it.

You can officially drop the outdated version with the kernel 3.10. The Kernel 3.10 is not supported any more and have ton of security issues that wont get fixed.

Only the mainline kernel is interesting and worth upgrading to latest kernel.

Thanks

Hi all,

new armbian user and old Odroid C1 user here :)

After seeing some mainline development on Odroid C1 I started tinkering with armbian build system.

Actually I tried building latest armbian master (Armbian_5.71_Odroidc1_Debian_stretch_next_4.19.15.img) and Odroid C1 is not booting (well... it is probably booting... more details later :)).

Same SD with latest release from armbian developers (Armbian_5.59_Odroidc1_Debian_stretch_next_4.18.1.img) is indeed working fine.

This is observed behaviour with Armbian_5.71_Odroidc1_Debian_stretch_next_4.19.15.img:

• all lights on SBC blink as expected
  • network plug light blinks as expected
  • attached USB HD lights blink (so it seems it is read) and I clearly hear HDD heads moving around
  • no network is accessible (my router is not giving a new IP :()

So... from what I can see and observe the image built on my system (using provided Vagrant file) is booting but I cannot access it using network.

I do not have a UART cable to inspect console :(

Can anyone give me some hints?

Meson 8b support by mainline is a very welcome news and kernel 4.19 and 4.20 show some big improvements.

FYI I tried even to compile 4.20 and 5.0-rc1 (changing conf files and some patches) but result is always the same: booting (probably) but no network via dhcp.

I can provide build logs but, from my eyes, nothing wrong is happening (kernel patching is ok, build is ok, no warning and no erroors).

Hope you can understand my willing to help and my need for help and hints to fix it :)

Thanks fro your work

Bye

Piero

1 hour ago, martinayotte said:

If you purchase one, they are so cheap, it will help a lot ...

Hi,

I cannot find one for less than 30€ delivered at home (Italy)... with some more money I can buy a NanoPi Neo4 or some other supported board :D

19 minutes ago, Igor said:

For Odroid it won't be this cheap :( but still

I don't have any Odroid, so what is the difference with their debug serial port ?

EDIT : I've just looked at the C1+ schematic, and serial seems to be as simple as usual ...

8 minutes ago, martinayotte said:

EDIT : I've just looked at the C1+ schematic, and serial seems to be as simple as usual ..

Yes, me too, but XU4 needs level shifter apparently.

12 hours ago, ottuzzi said:

I do not have a UART cable to inspect console :(

Alternatively, you could use a usb to ethernet connector, this would give you network (my user build next works just fine and boots - I just did it today).

Hi all,

thanks for all responses :)

You showed me many UART adapter and looking for them in amazon.it I can find them for an affordable price (less than 10€): I'm ordering one of them and I'll come back here with something more useful.

Thanks

Piero

1 hour ago, ottuzzi said:

less than 10€

If you don't have to rush:
https://www.ebay.de/itm/10PCS-6Pin-USB-2-0-to-TTL-UART-Module-Serial-Converter-CP2102-STC-Replace-FT232/401092518807
for 11€ you get 10pcs :) (or 1pcs < 2EUR) from renown/trusted seller on Ebay with free delivery via HK post. It usually takes 10-14 days to get to the EU.

Hi,

finally I got serial access console and attached you can find boot logs.

A small recap:

• Armbian_5.59_Odroidc1_Debian_stretch_next_4.18.1.img boot fine and network is ok
  • Armbian_5.72_Odroidc1_Debian_stretch_next_4.19.16.img (compiled in Vagrant environment) boot fine but there is no network

I see the culprit is probably this one:

[   14.853086] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth0: link is not ready
[   14.853367] meson8b-dwmac c9410000.ethernet eth0: device MAC address b6:e8:26:b6:da:4a
[   14.853378] meson8b-dwmac c9410000.ethernet eth0: Could not attach to PHY
[   14.853386] meson8b-dwmac c9410000.ethernet eth0: stmmac_open: Cannot attach to PHY (error: -19)
[   15.064433] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth0: link is not ready
[   15.084471] meson8b-dwmac c9410000.ethernet eth0: Could not attach to PHY
[   15.084486] meson8b-dwmac c9410000.ethernet eth0: stmmac_open: Cannot attach to PHY (error: -19)
[   15.193033] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth0: link is not ready
[   15.225926] meson8b-dwmac c9410000.ethernet eth0: Could not attach to PHY
[   15.225958] meson8b-dwmac c9410000.ethernet eth0: stmmac_open: Cannot attach to PHY (error: -19)
[   15.239227] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth0: link is not ready
[   15.293190] meson8b-dwmac c9410000.ethernet eth0: Could not attach to PHY
[   15.293213] meson8b-dwmac c9410000.ethernet eth0: stmmac_open: Cannot attach to PHY (error: -19)
[   15.306038] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth0: link is not ready
[   15.352091] meson8b-dwmac c9410000.ethernet eth0: Could not attach to PHY
[   15.352111] meson8b-dwmac c9410000.ethernet eth0: stmmac_open: Cannot attach to PHY (error: -19)
[   15.370056] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth0: link is not ready

Does anybody have an idea?

Thanks in advance

Bye

Piero

Armbian_5.59_Odroidc1_Debian_stretch_next_4.18.1.txt

Armbian_5.72_Odroidc1_Debian_stretch_next_4.19.16.txt

Hi all again,

after a whole day compiling and running new images I found something strange:

• Armbian_5.59_Odroidc1_Debian_stretch_next_4.18.1.img boot fine and network is ok
  • Armbian_5.72_Odroidc1_Debian_stretch_next_4.18.1.img boot fine but eth0 is not working

So please note that I simply created a new image with current armbian master but with the working 4.18.1 kernel: from my point of view it looks like it is not a kernel problem as I thought until few minutes ago :o

How can we spot the breaking change in armbian master?

Does anyone have an idea?

Attached you can find boot log of Armbian_5.72_Odroidc1_Debian_stretch_next_4.18.1.img

Thanks in advance

Bye

Piero

Armbian_5.72_Odroidc1_Debian_stretch_next_4.18.1.txt

10 hours ago, ottuzzi said:

So please note that I simply created a new image with current armbian master but with the working 4.18.1 kernel: from my point of view it looks like it is not a kernel problem as I thought until few minutes ago

Well, it still could be.  Power sequencing isn't always bulletproof, so sometimes things initialize or don't.

To see where development is:  http://linux-meson.com/doku.php

https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/linux-amlogic/list/

I haven't done any work on 32-bit Amlogic

Hi all,

I bisected the issue and I finally found the commit breaking odroidc1: 73341048187f4e9698c8f42b7c3ee022e19ef0b0

Do not ask me why (should not have such an impact) but this is the issue.

If someone can revert the change for odroidc1-next I would be glad to test it :)

During my test I found odroidc1 working fine with latest 4.19.17 kernel with only the 250hz change reverted.

**Bye

Piero

On 1/23/2019 at 4:59 PM, Igor said:

That someone can be you :) https://www.armbian.com/get-involved Changes to the code will be accepted, but the bulk of the work is on you.

Hi,

thanks for the offer but I'm not of of those that can take a task for too long before getting bored and get distracted by something else.

For sure, now that my odroid C1 is running armbian, you'll probably see me around here for the time being ;)

Many thanks for your work!!!

Bye

Piero

I just built the -next ubuntu successfully today with the merged changes (haven't tried it yet because I'm currently in my exam time). Then I saw that the -dev config for the odroid c1 uses the kernel "master" branch. Because there were many amlogic upstream kernel fixes I would like to build an image with the master branch linux kernel, but in the armbian repo there is no config/kernel/linux-odroidc1-dev.config. How would I adapt / use the -next.config as -dev.config? Thanks in advance!

7 minutes ago, kaiomatico said:

How would I adapt / use the -next.config as -dev.config?

Make a copy with appropriate name ... you will get many new options in the kernel compilation time and your new "dev" kernel will be saved in output/config ... once it's done and if it makes any results, you can sent it upstream, placed over old one in config/kernel/ which currently does not exists.

well, just do some study here https://docs.armbian.com/Developer-Guide_Build-Preparation/

2 hours ago, kaiomatico said:

I just built the -next ubuntu successfully today with the merged changes (haven't tried it yet because I'm currently in my exam time). Then I saw that the -dev config for the odroid c1 uses the kernel "master" branch. Because there were many amlogic upstream kernel fixes I would like to build an image with the master branch linux kernel, but in the armbian repo there is no config/kernel/linux-odroidc1-dev.config. How would I adapt / use the -next.config as -dev.config? Thanks in advance! 

Hi,

for your reference, here you can find the kernel config and source config for Odroid C1 pointing to latest amlogic mainline kernel.

I'm testing this kernel as it contains many fixes for the problems listed on Odroid C1 download page:

• serial console only (don't really know... I'll check tonight this one)

• no DVFS, fixed CPU frequency (latest fixes should handle this one...going to test it tonight at home)

• no USB hotplugging, power the board with USB device is needed (latest fixes should handle this one...going to test it tonight at home)

• eMMC not supported (do not have an eMMC to test)

• reboot doesn’t bring up the board, you need to power cycle. (with this it can reboot properly)

Good luck and let us know :)

**Bye

Piero

linux-odroidc1-dev.config

odroidc1.conf

24 minutes ago, ottuzzi said:

For sure cpu frequency is fixed in the newer kernel.

This is pretty normal for something that it is making. Since there is no DVFS support, speed is usually set to around 50-60%.