Startup Message/Script stopped working

eddywebs

2 hours ago, Igor said:

The scripts should be in /etc/updated-mot.d ... perhaps already one reboot solve this? Otherwise check motd service status. That one is responsible for this.

You are right, when I did  sudo systemctl status motd  it returned

● motd.service
   Loaded: masked (/dev/null)
   Active: inactive (dead)

Motd fails to start upon sudo systemctl enable motd, with the following message

Synchronizing state for motd.service with sysvinit using update-rc.d...
Executing /usr/sbin/update-rc.d motd defaults
Executing /usr/sbin/update-rc.d motd enable
update-rc.d: warning: enable action will have no effect on runlevel 1
Failed to execute operation: No such file or directory

Any Ideas why it would do so ? . Subsequent restarts have not fixed the problem :(

9 hours ago, eddywebs said:

Any Ideas why it would do so ? . Subsequent restarts have not fixed the problem

I am not familiar with motd service in details - you will have to look on your own - at least we identify the source of the problem. This usually takes much more time than the actual fixing.

We only replace stock welcome message with ours but the motd service is stock Debian / Ubuntu. You have to check motd manual, reinstall package, check around for generic motd troubles. They are unrelated to Armbian as well as OMV, which drastically changes Armbian to suit their needs.

I suffered from the same problem and want to document the solution I found lately.

The problem doesn't seem to be related to the motd.service at all. The output looks exactly the same on a working system.

Instead I took a look at my sshd_config in /etc/ssh/ because we dealt with ssh-logins and I remembered that during a apt upgrade I had to decide if to switch to a new version of sshd_config or to stay with my old.

However, it turns out that the welcome message depends on the UsePAM parameter in sshd_config.

If it is set to 'no' you won't receive the fancy welcome message. Simply turning it to 'yes' did the trick for me and I now receive the welcome message again with every ssh-login.

Summary:

Make sure that this is in your /etc/ssh/sshd_config:

[...]

UsePAM yes

[...]

Hope this helps some other folks.

@eddywebs Did you change you startup-messages-scripts?

A while ago - when I added my package-info lines in the script I did miss a '-sign

and after that I got no output.

After I did correct the syntax the messages did come back.

You could try to start the message scripts manually to see if any single script do produce a output.