Orange Pi PC - A disaster ?

Enrico Postafeno

For days now I have been fighting to get this thing working.  No boot, No hdmi, no sound, no wireless network and so on.
Armbian is anyway the best choice for this device, Supported? well yes if you have lan, true HDMI

Well i got it to boot, after writing a new image to sd card. finally booted, no signal detected ( with a DVI > HDMI ), I had to hook it up to a true HDMI and modify the script.bin file to get a signal.
Got it to boot all the way to the desktop. Hurray ! Plugged in a crappy wifi adapter from Ali express (realtek 8081 i think it is) and I got wifi, jippi. Next time booting no wifi, no matter what I tried.
Made a new image again, with modified script.bin file. Wifi works. Then tried to ssh to it from my windows PC, using putty, worked fine the first time. Next day it did not work ( yes password was correct)
I gave it up.
so is it worth it? Well I let you be the judge. Orange Pi PC = 15 US , Raspberry Pi 2 B is the most equal i hardware price is around 25-30 US, but you get a much better board when it comes to hardware

configuration. 

53 minutes ago, Enrico Postafeno said:

Raspberry Pi 2 B is the most equal i hardware price is around 25-30 US, but you get a much better board when it comes to hardware

well some people (including me) may disagree on this one, but that's a different story and it depends a bit on use-case.

I've an OPi PC + (difference 8gb eMMC and onboard wifi) and it runs now since roughly a year in headless without any issues. So the PC isn't a disaster but your combination might be one. A few things to consider:

• proper powering
  • quality SD-Card
  • don't use crappy USB-Wifi

If you describe your wifi dongle as crappy then it might be crappy. There are cheap wifi dongles with proper Linux support, just check if yours is one of them (I don't have it in mind and I wont check it for you). Make sure your board is properly powered and that you don't use a crappy sd-card just don't it. For 3.4 kernel we've

it might be worth to try it when combined with DVI -> HDMI adapters.. But displays on SBCs is not my world so I can't give much advise here..

and a last one:

we've a nice getting started guide to prepare your image.. I hope you followed it:

https://docs.armbian.com/User-Guide_Getting-Started/

1 hour ago, Enrico Postafeno said:

with a DVI > HDMI

That's a lot of problems with most, if not all sbc's.
I also only used to have a dvi display. I bought many dvi -> hdmi adapters. Some just didn't work, others heated up and stopped working, another had constant flickering, and only worked well in low resolutions. I was a very happy man when I bought a hdmi display. All those troubles are in the past.
As @chwe said. Try a good wifi dongle, if that's the only problem left. Then no reason to be desperate.

My question is, why buy the OPi PC? It may be cheap, but there's tons of better sbc's. I'm also not a big fan of OPi. The hardware is solid, but without Armbian it's only an artwork to look at.
I've got the OPi+2. A nice board for some tasks. But the images from OPi are absolute crap. Ubuntu 15.04, last updated in 2015. Can't update/upgrade. They also false advertise their products. That's something I can't aprove one bit.
So I'll never buy an OPi again because I've learned from my mistake. Now I always do good research before buying something new. Check the forums and see if problems are being handled, and if there's any communication at all.

But they're the best SBC company for Armbian. Because people buying it must use Armbian to have a decent OS.
Good luck, I hope you'll be able to fix it.

2 hours ago, Enrico Postafeno said:

so is it worth it? Well I let you be the judge. Orange Pi PC = 15 US

it depends on your use-case ;)
as a headless server the PC has more Ram than the most SBCs in that price range and does work very well via ethernet.

WiFi Dongle depends on quality of the dongle and how its configured (/etc/network/interfaces or Network-manager = nmtui)

With armbian the OPi PC is stable as the PC2 or the OPi One - also with the newer DEV-version of armbian (via armbian-build-system).
OPi Zero and Zero Plus (H5) do produce more heat - but also run stable here as server.

OPi with H3 CPU can run RetrOrange for Emulators but do get also hot.
This little devices are - from my point of view - not made for "Desktop-useage"

If you want a Multimedia-SBC than you could use a Raspberry Pi with the MPG2-License :)

What do you want to do with your OPi PC?

4 hours ago, Enrico Postafeno said:

so is it worth it?

This is one of the rare H3 SBC with a proper Voltage Regulator. So, yes it is worth you spend some time with it. The support from Mainline Kernel for H3 is better than ever.

Go step-by-step, Rom wasn't built in a day.

11 hours ago, Enrico Postafeno said:

so is it worth it? Well I let you be the judge. Orange Pi PC = 15 US

If you add anything crappy to your system, your system would become crappy because it is contagious. I always baby mine and they provide me with joy.