Odroid XU4 Cloudshell-LCD fbtft_device failed after upgrade to 4.19.14

FanDjango

Odroid XU4 with Cloudshell2

Coming from 4.14.69, upgraded to 4.19.14

The fbtft_device module for the Cloudshell-LCD now reports:

fbtft_device: display not supported: 'hktft9340'

And yes, the source for fbtft_device seems to no longer contain hktft9340.

I will ask in the Hardkernel Forum - this is just for info here.

Question: When I use armbian-config to switch to an earlier package, I get a nice list, I select one and say ok, but after reboot nothing has changed. Is there something I could be missing in order to make this switch work? Never tried it before - I was hoping this would help me temporarily.

Ok, here is what I found out about 4.14.xx vs 4.19.xx on Odroid XU4:

Kernel 4.19 is not officially supported by HardKernel.
It's unlikely that Armbian ported all patches made on the Kernel 4.14 to 4.19 but rather take the stock Kernel, which does not have the modules that were added to Kernel 4.14.

Ok, I've never gone backwards before. I'm back to the original question: After switching back in armbian-config, after a reboot, Nothing happens.

LOL - a solitary update for armbian-config just came in. I installed it in the hopes… but now it doesn't give me a list of possible other kernels like before - it says 'No other kernels available'.

Ok, I'll do it the hard way, I have backups...

Could one of the armbian gurus comment on this statement by hardkernel?

Kernel 4.19 is not officially supported by HardKernel.
It's unlikely that Armbian ported all patches made on the Kernel 4.14 to 4.19 but rather take the stock Kernel, which does not have the modules that were added to Kernel 4.14.

because then I would worry that some other specific XU4 or ordroid features might have silently dissapeared after the upgrade from 4.14 -> 4.19

41 minutes ago, FanDjango said:

Could one of the armbian gurus comment on this statement by hardkernel?

because then I would worry that some other specific XU4 or ordroid features might have silently dissapeared after the upgrade from 4.14 -> 4.19

4.19 for xu4 at the moment is a mess. Stay at 4.14 if you are able. I currently have 4.14.87

https://forum.armbian.com/topic/9319-problem-with-underclocking-odroid-hc1hc2xu4-with-kernel41914armbian570/