Mavell 88W8897 as Hotspot

PlayingMuted

33 minutes ago, PlayingMuted said:

I've been trying to get the card to work as a hotspot via armbian-config without success.

That method works if drivers for this chip are capable of running AP. Standard way.  No idea if this chip works at all.

1 minute ago, Igor said:

That method works if drivers for this chip are capable of running AP. Standard way.  No idea if this chip works at all.

The Marvell 88W8897 works fine with OpenWrt as an access point. I'd use OpenWrt, but OpenWrt doesn't have support yet for the rtl8814au usb wifi cards.

I'm trying to set up a wireless repeater:

rtl8814au (edimax) as supplicant => 88W8897 (hostapd)

I'll try the other way around. I have had success switching the interfaces, but the rtl8814au seems to have some rate limiting as an access point.

4 minutes ago, PlayingMuted said:

I'll try the other way around. I have had success switching the interfaces, but the rtl8814au seems to have some rate limiting as an access point.

Since you have 8814AU. Is that adaptor working within armbian-config? Can you set AP with it?

Hello PlayingMuted,

I had the same problem and found this thread.
Just wanted to let you know that i found a solution for that.

In my case i am using the app "create_ap" from:
https://github.com/oblique/create_ap
which is basically just a script setting up your hostapd,dnsmasq and interfaces.

With this command from the doc it was not working:
sudo create_ap wlp3s0 enp2s0 MyAccessPoint
I could open and start the AP but i couldn't really connect to it because no device ever got any IP from my AP.

The solution was to start in N mode instead of G mode, which is default in hostapd.
Following command worked for me:
sudo create_ap --ieee80211n wlp3s0 enp2s0 MyAccessPoint

But i think you can basically just change your hostapd.conf file and use this arguments:

hw_mode=g

ieee80211n=1

ht_capab=[SHORT-GI-40][HT40+][HT40-][DSSS_CCK-40]

[Copied from: https://unix.stackexchange.com/a/245402 ]

Regards,
Alex