[Nanopi NEO2] Kernel patch or downgrade?

gurabli

I just got a Nanopi NEO2 512MB, installed Armbian Ubuntu Bionic. It works fine, except for the DVB-T/C stick. It is affected by Kernel 4.10+ problems.

I wonder if I can downgrade to an older kernel, like 4.4.0 for example, where everything works perfectly? If yes, how?

There is a patch that perhaps would resolve the problem, how could I apply this patch to an of the available releases of Armbian? This patch

Please, help me with this.  Many thanks!

5 minutes ago, gurabli said:

except for the DVB-T/C stick

We don't support 3rd party hardware.

how could I apply this patch to an of the available releases of Armbian? This patch

https://www.armbian.com/get-involved

I wonder if I can downgrade to an older kernel, like 4.4.0 for example, where everything works perfectly? If yes, how?

You can't. Support for H5 chip starts with 4.14.y

Thanks for your reply!

This DVB dongle is well-supported in kernel since 3.x, but there was a commit that broke everything (two popular tuners used by most of the LE community). The patch has been committed upstream and will be in 4.20+ kernel soon, and finally fix these cards which were working perfectly fine. The struggle goes from 4.10+ versions. For example, LibreELEC new beta will already include this patch in their media build, actually they got this fixed. 

Just to understand, if the patch will be included in one of the upcoming 4.20 kernels, then it will be for Armbian too, correct?

I still don't get it how can I build, for example kernel 4.20 and add the patch, for Ubuntu Armbian? Is this actually possible?

then it will be for Armbian too, correct?

Yes ! (maybe you can provide link of that patch, we will follow it ...)

6 minutes ago, gurabli said:

I still don't get it how can I build, for example kernel 4.20 and add the patch, for Ubuntu Armbian? Is this actually possible?

Of course, and Armbian for Allwinner SoC is already on 4.20.2 for DEV builds ...

@martinayotte Many thanks, that sounds really good!

The link for the patch can be found here: Link1 Link2 Link3 

All three links are for the same patch, just different forums. It is a very long awaited patch. Not sure when it is going to be finally in mainline kernel. The community is extremely mad because more than a year ago a bad commit broke a long time working set of devices (which was of course quickly added to the kernel) and rendered the best and most stable devices useless (after working rock stable for many years). 

Now that finally there is a patch that fixes this, many users applied this patch to for example kernel 4.20.1 (but it can be any kernel, like 4.20.2 too) and up and running. My problem is that I just don't know how to build a lets say 4.20.2 Ubuntu Bionic kernel with the patch applied for my NEO2. If you could do it I can test it, or if you give me some hint I will do it.

Perhaps you can also add this patch to your build environment, than on the next DEV build it will be already working for everybody interested. 

EDIT: it is safe to add, even LibreELEC added it to their media build. And in my view it is not support for 3rd party hardware but something that is already supported in mainline kernel for a long time, but got broken, now fixed.