Orangepi 3 h6 allwiner chip

constantius

1 minute ago, icehot said:

Thanks for the info!. For a newbie... is posibble to downgrade to previos version?.

Thnaks again for your time.

Not sure. Go to armbian-config into system and other. Check if there are older kernel versions in the list and select one

Hello.

I'm planning to buy this board and I'm wondering how is board working right now? According to Sunxi wiki mainline feature set is quite complete, but as a new SBC user I don't know much about how they work and I can misjudge development status. I'm interested using OPi 3 as light desktop machine, video playback device and network device. I have no doubts about network performance, but can anyone enlighten me in desktop usage? Youtube playback and light internet browsing i care the most.

53 minutes ago, maigonis said:

I'm interested using OPi 3 as light desktop machine, video playback device and network device. I have no doubts about network performance, but can anyone enlighten me in desktop usage? Youtube playback and light internet browsing i care the most.

For those tasks it isn't the best board. RK3399 would be better for you. So Orange Pi 4, or NanoPi M4V2 or RockPi4.
These have support for accelerated video playback and browsing with legacy kernel. I use RK3399's as daily desktop and I'm very happy of it. It might cost a bit more, but it is way more powerful.
With mainline kernel it's also great for gaming. 
Greetings.

7 hours ago, NicoD said:

For those tasks it isn't the best board. RK3399 would be better for you. So Orange Pi 4, or NanoPi M4V2 or RockPi4.
These have support for accelerated video playback and browsing with legacy kernel. I use RK3399's as daily desktop and I'm very happy of it. It might cost a bit more, but it is way more powerful.
With mainline kernel it's also great for gaming. 
Greetings.

Adding the Pinebook Pro and T-Firefly ROC-RK3399 PC PLUS a.k.a StationGeeker Station P1 to this list :P

Well, in the end I ordered opi3, not rk3399 based board for reasons. Now I'm trying to setup panfrost. True panfrost driver I got only from Hirsute, building like this:

./compile.sh  BOARD=orangepi3 BRANCH=current RELEASE=hirsute BUILD_MINIMAL=no BUILD_DESKTOP=yes KERNEL_ONLY=no KERNEL_CONFIGURE=yes DESKTOP_ENVIRONMENT=xfce DESKTOP_ENVIRONMENT_CONFIG_NAME=config_base DESKTOP_APPGROUPS_SELECTED="3dsupport" COMPRESS_OUTPUTIMAGE=sha,gpg,img

Panfrost is enabled in kernel. Driver seems to be working (performance as expected), but after installing a few apps (looks like minetest is causing this) X is no longer working. Login screen on xfce loads, but glitchy, after signing in I got black screen. Other desktop environments just show black screen or crashes (budgie), I tried almost all of them.

In logs I noticed this:

[    2.216657] kernel: panfrost 1800000.gpu: clock rate = 432000000
[    2.216677] kernel: panfrost 1800000.gpu: bus_clock rate = 100000000
[    2.216752] kernel: panfrost 1800000.gpu: [drm:panfrost_devfreq_init] *ERROR* Couldn't set OPP regulators

I have read on forums that changing gpu governor might help, but i have no idea how to do that. Can anyone help?

dmesg syslog kern.log lastlog

Hi all, 

Is there any success in getting the usb3 hub working?

On the website it says `USB3 sometimes doesn’t detect high-speed devices properly`. 

Would like to know if there are any hacks to make it running.

Thanks.

On 5/16/2021 at 5:13 PM, rw21 said:

Hi all, 

Is there any success in getting the usb3 hub working?

On the website it says `USB3 sometimes doesn’t detect high-speed devices properly`. 

Would like to know if there are any hacks to make it running.

Thanks.

This message is basically there since the initial support for H6 was released :D

tl;dr: Status is unknown due to lack of devices to test and user feedback.

Thanks for the info. 

The USB3 hub is recognized, but not used perhaps?

T:  Bus=02 Lev=01 Prnt=01 Port=00 Cnt=01 Dev#=  2 Spd=5000 MxCh= 4
D:  Ver= 3.10 Cls=09(hub  ) Sub=00 Prot=03 MxPS= 9 #Cfgs=  1
P:  Vendor=05e3 ProdID=0626 Rev=06.54
S:  Manufacturer=GenesysLogic
S:  Product=USB3.1 Hub
C:  #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=e0 MxPwr=0mA
I:  If#=0x0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 1 Cls=09(hub  ) Sub=00 Prot=00 Driver=hub

from   usb-devices | grep Genesys -C 10 

Hi

Im build android pie (kernel 4.9.118) for orangepi 3, fine worked, but haved same problems on resolution.

Push 1080p(1980x1080) setting, but bug resolution play video smart youtube 1270x720.

Spoiler
su
wm size 1920x1080
wm density 240

All the ways here apply to linux and don`t work for me.

How fix this resolution on android?

Possibly in lichee kernel drivers?

46 minutes ago, greg798 said:

Hi

Im build android pie (kernel 4.9.118) for orangepi 3, fine worked, but haved same problems on resolution.

Push 1080p(1980x1080) setting, but bug resolution play video smart youtube 1270x720.

Reveal hidden contents

All the ways here apply to linux and don`t work for me.

How fix this resolution on android?

Possibly in lichee kernel drivers?

Wrong OS and/or wrong forums. We do not deal with Android.

Seems like my opi3 board have died. I was testing boards operation whit powerbank (https://www.mi.com/global/20000mah-redmi-18w-fast-charge-power-bank/) and after I ran stress test (stress --cpu 4 --io 4 --vm 4 --timeout 60s) to test if there is issues whit power delivery, board just turned off and I cant turn it back on. Board was powered on OTG port.

I contacted Xunlong and board seems to be dead, they have no suggestion what else I can do. Ok, ill have accepted that, but my question is, why did it happened? My theory is that powerbank, for some reason, provided 9v or 12v, so that burned the board. But why? It was opi fault, or powerbanks fault? Maybe armbian issue?

Perhaps too much current went via power delivery chip? I assume you had no cooling provided for any elements on board and summer is hot? SoC powers off if temperature reaches critical levels, for AXP chip I am not so sure about. So it has some protection ... but not all chips have same temperature resistance or act of powering off doesn't work properly when powered via OTG port? Get a schematics and try to reason.

Powerbanks usually don't provide random output also Armbian have no tendency to fry chips :)

1 hour ago, Igor said:

Perhaps too much current went via power delivery chip? I assume you had no cooling provided for any elements on board and summer is hot? SoC powers off if temperature reaches critical levels, for AXP chip I am not so sure about. So it has some protection ... but not all chips have same temperature resistance or act of powering off doesn't work properly when powered via OTG port? Get a schematics and try to reason.

Powerbanks usually don't provide random output also Armbian have no tendency to fry chips :)

I don't have any cooling. I tested at night, when air temp is around 20c. That stresstest went just fine before, when I was powering it whit Samsung charger. Temps was hi, as expected, but no power issues. Board have AXP805 chip, and according to schematics ( https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Uo7ENe3eg2GcDnTeKT3KaKe2iezlJwlx ), also info I found before on sunxi wiki, power from OTG and barrel goes both straight to AXP805. Something went wrong, most likely AXP805 is damaged.

Hello! The OPI3 manufacturer in the manual directly warns not to be supplied through OTG. Too thin conductors! Alternatively, check these electrical chains and restore. If it does not help, then the AXP805 is destroyed. You can, of course, replace it if there are skills. OS is not exactly here.
Sincerely, Viktor Chekasin.
P.S. Sorry, this is a machine forever from Russian into English.:)

1 hour ago, Виктор Васильевич said:

Hello! The OPI3 manufacturer in the manual directly warns not to be supplied through OTG. Too thin conductors! Alternatively, check these electrical chains and restore. If it does not help, then the AXP805 is destroyed. You can, of course, replace it if there are skills. OS is not exactly here.
P.S. Sorry, this is a machine forever from Russian into English.:)

I have read user manual and I opened it again. I didn't find what you mentioned anywhere, only that it can be powered in both ways. But I will believe, that OTG might not be the best option to power it. I am no electrician, so if it wont boot when powered in barrel jack input, then I, most likely, will get rid of it.

15.07.2021 в 00:50, maigonis сказал:

Я прочитал руководство пользователя и снова открыл его. Я нигде не нашел то, что вы упомянули, только то, что он может питаться обоими способами. Но я считаю, что OTG может быть не лучшим вариантом для его питания. Я не электрик, поэтому, если он не загружается при питании от входа бочкообразного джека, то я, скорее всего, избавлюсь от него.

Hello! I must apologize for misleading you. Again looked at the manual, there really is no warning about the limitations of OTG. In my old head something was confused. I read this information somewhere else.

hi anyone can help about Opi3 build , it seems there are some bugs about to build Opi3 image . 

Here's the error message to build Opi3 kernel and Uboot :
        == u-boot make orangepi_3_defconfig ==

*** Can't find default configuration "arch/../configs/orangepi_3_defconfig"!
make[1]: *** [scripts/kconfig/Makefile:110:orangepi_3_defconfig]  error 1
make: *** [Makefile:565:orangepi_3_defconfig]  error 2

4 minutes ago, mikechan said:

hi anyone can help about Opi3 build , it seems there are some bugs about to build Opi3 image . 

Here's the error message to build Opi3 kernel and Uboot :
        == u-boot make orangepi_3_defconfig ==

*** Can't find default configuration "arch/../configs/orangepi_3_defconfig"!
make[1]: *** [scripts/kconfig/Makefile:110:orangepi_3_defconfig]  error 1
make: *** [Makefile:565:orangepi_3_defconfig]  error 2

https://github.com/armbian/build/issues/3066

6 hours ago, danielfrans said:

Just for info from cnx-software.

Orangepi 3 H6 chip is launched!!!!

The board launched years ago. They just switched network chip to a different one due to shortage and rebranded it LTS...

On 1/5/2022 at 5:30 AM, Werner said:

The board launched years ago. They just switched network chip to a different one due to shortage and rebranded it LTS...

Do you think orange pi 3 armbian images will work on the LTS version ? Or do they need to be patched to support the new network chip ?

10 minutes ago, Yoshi_312 said:

Do you think orange pi 3 armbian images will work on the LTS version ? Or do they need to be patched to support the new network chip ?

If patch is needed, it will be added.