Orangepi 3 h6 allwiner chip

constantius

18 hours ago, gnjack said:

Still getting the same bad CRC error

It would be weird if you wouldn't get this error. This actually tells you that U-Boot checked if environment variables are stored somewhere. It looked at configured place, noticed that CRC doesn't match and concluded that it will use default environment instead.

In short, this error is normal and it would go away only if you would execute "saveenv" command in U-Boot.

5 hours ago, martinayotte said:

What kind of problem ?

the biggest problem is, i still do not have the hardware, i orderd on 30.01. shipping was 2 or 3 days later, and latest update on tracking is from 12.02. almost 1 month later, this is taking very long this time.

so, i only get netwokring running when i use see below, for the beelink GS1.... and ther are problems with the interupts (irqs) i think, but i do not have uart available to see waht happens with the images boot when using the other compatible option mentioned below,  because i do not know were the uart pins are...., i am only connected via ssh.... its a bit sluggish... and it gets stuck and laggy.

the emac parts from:

sun50i-h6.dtsi

Spoiler

ext_rgmii_pins: rgmii_pins {
                                pins = "PD0", "PD1", "PD2", "PD3", "PD4",
                                       "PD5", "PD7", "PD8", "PD9", "PD10",
                                       "PD11", "PD12", "PD13", "PD19", "PD20";
                                function = "emac";
                                drive-strength = <40>;
                        };

emac: ethernet@5020000 {
                        compatible = "allwinner,sun50i-h6-emac"; with this no ethernet on the beelink, but with this in the first place "allwinner,sun50i-a64-emac"; i got ethernet running on the beelink

syscon = <&syscon>;

reg = <0x05020000 0x10000>;
                        interrupts = <GIC_SPI 12 IRQ_TYPE_LEVEL_HIGH>;
                        interrupt-names = "macirq";
                        resets = <&ccu RST_BUS_EMAC>;
                        reset-names = "stmmaceth";
                        clocks = <&ccu CLK_BUS_EMAC>;
                        clock-names = "stmmaceth";
                        status = "disabled";
                        #address-cells = <1>;
                        #size-cells = <0>;

mdio: mdio {
                                compatible = "snps,dwmac-mdio";
                                #address-cells = <1>;
                                #size-cells = <0>;
                        };
                };

so something is diffrent from sun50i-h6-emac and sun50i-a64-emac, and i do not know  what

the biggest problem is, i still do not have the hardware, i orderd on 30.01. shipping was 2 or 3 days later, and latest update on tracking is from 12.02. almost 1 month later, this is taking very long this time.

so, i only get netwokring running when i use see below, for the beelink GS1.... and ther are problems with the interupts (irqs) i think, but i do not have uart available to see waht happens with the images boot when using the other compatible option mentioned below,  because i do not know were the uart pins are...., i am only connected via ssh.... its a bit sluggish... and it gets stuck and laggy.

the emac parts from:
sun50i-h6.dtsi
Spoiler  ext_rgmii_pins: rgmii_pins {
                                pins = "PD0", "PD1", "PD2", "PD3", "PD4",
                                       "PD5", "PD7", "PD8", "PD9", "PD10",
                                       "PD11", "PD12", "PD13", "PD19", "PD20";
                                function = "emac";
                                drive-strength = ;
                        };
             emac: ethernet@5020000 {
                        compatible = "allwinner,sun50i-h6-emac"; with this no ethernet on the beelink, but with this in the first place "allwinner,sun50i-a64-emac"; i got ethernet running on the beelink
                        syscon = ;
                        reg = ;
                        interrupts = ;
                        interrupt-names = "macirq";
                        resets = ;
                        reset-names = "stmmaceth";
                        clocks = ;
                        clock-names = "stmmaceth";
                        status = "disabled";
                        #address-cells = ;
                        #size-cells = ;
                        mdio: mdio {
                                compatible = "snps,dwmac-mdio";
                                #address-cells = ;
                                #size-cells = ;
                        };
                };

so something is diffrent from sun50i-h6-emac and sun50i-a64-emac, and i do not know  what

I know my dts file was for an older kernel; but would any of the information in that be any help? Since it’s from a fully working OPi 3? Just a thought! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17 hours ago, krachlatte said:

sun50i-h6-emac never seems to work in the past ... I don't know why ...

On OrangePiOnePlus, we've already changed it to sun50i-a64-emac to avoid similar crash and get it running.

If we wish to get sun50i-h6-emac, we will have to wait fix from upstream guys (@montjoie or @Icenowy ) !

@martinayotte sun50i-h6-emac is already gone dropped in the newest driver, and upstream DT now uses

```

compatible = "allwinner,sun50i-h6-emac",
                     "allwinner,sun50i-a64-emac";
```

If someone needs me to do hack on OPi3, I can consider to purchase one. Shipment from Shenzhen to Guangzhou (where I live) usually cost <24h.

[mention=587]martinayotte[/mention] sun50i-h6-emac is already gone dropped in the newest driver, and upstream DT now uses
```
            compatible = "allwinner,sun50i-h6-emac",
                     "allwinner,sun50i-a64-emac";
```

If someone needs me to do hack on OPi3, I can consider to purchase one. Shipment from Shenzhen to Guangzhou (where I live) usually cost

Id contribute towards the cost!

I bought mine for the H265 / HDR capabilities so until it’s running latest Kernel it’s pretty much useless to me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spoiler

login as: root
root@192.168.8.116's password:
  ___                               ____  _   _____
 / _ \ _ __ __ _ _ __   __ _  ___  |  _ \(_) |___ /
| | | | '__/ _` | '_ \ / _` |/ _ \ | |_) | |   |_ \
| |_| | | | (_| | | | | (_| |  __/ |  __/| |  ___) |
 \___/|_|  \__,_|_| |_|\__, |\___| |_|   |_| |____/
                       |___/

Welcome to ARMBIAN 5.76 user-built Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS 4.20.12-sunxi64
System load:   2.65 0.83 0.29   Up time:       0 min
Memory usage:  4 % of 2001MB    IP:            192.168.x.xxx
CPU temp:      43°C
Usage of /:    4% of 29G

Last login: Mon Feb 25 12:55:12 2019 from 192.168.x.xx

root@orangepi3:~# lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
zstd                   16384  4
cpufreq_dt             16384  0
sun50i_h6_ths          16384  0
thermal_sys            65536  2 cpufreq_dt,sun50i_h6_ths
zram                   24576  5
dwc3_of_simple         16384  0
realtek                20480  1
root@orangepi3:~#

cat /proc/modules
zstd 16384 4 - Live 0xffff000000adf000
cpufreq_dt 16384 0 - Live 0xffff000000ad7000
sun50i_h6_ths 16384 0 - Live 0xffff000000acf000
thermal_sys 65536 2 cpufreq_dt,sun50i_h6_ths, Live 0xffff000000a9d000
zram 24576 5 - Live 0xffff000000a91000
dwc3_of_simple 16384 0 - Live 0xffff000000a89000
realtek 20480 1 - Live 0xffff000000a80000

dmesg

[   22.931520] RTL8211E Gigabit Ethernet stmmac-0:01: attached PHY driver [RTL8211E Gigabit Ethernet] (mii_bus:phy_addr=stmmac-0:01, irq=POLL)
[   22.933173] dwmac-sun8i 5020000.ethernet eth0: No Safety Features support found
[   22.933185] dwmac-sun8i 5020000.ethernet eth0: No MAC Management Counters available
[   22.933192] dwmac-sun8i 5020000.ethernet eth0: PTP not supported by HW
[   28.033088] dwmac-sun8i 5020000.ethernet eth0: Link is Up - 1Gbps/Full - flow control off

please see my beelink GS1 booting, could you check with modprobe and even try insmod if you are able to load the realtek module  ?

the beelink one runs with             compatible = "allwinner,sun50i-a64-emac";

and i think the board is qute similar to the orangepi3 right ? soemthing prefents the realtek module from loading

best regards

Question; is the original Ubuntu from xunlong or amrbian usable enough, so that at least usb3 and network works ? I'd really only need it as a storage server, so i don't need anything else.

Figured might as well get usb3 to sata bridges for my drives (insteado the pcie sata solution mention above), should work well enough for 2.5" drives.

13 minutes ago, hojnikb said:

Question; is the original Ubuntu from xunlong or amrbian usable enough, so that at least usb3 and network works ? I'd really only need it as a storage server, so i don't need anything else.

Figured might as well get usb3 to sata bridges for my drives (insteado the pcie sata solution mention above), should work well enough for 2.5" drives.

If you would read this thread you'd know that these people are working on getting a good OS working for it.
So no, there is no useable and stable os for it, no you can't use PCIe on it. This will take time.
There are other sbc's that can do what you want. I'd go for the NanoPi M4. It now has got a hat with 4xSATA.
https://www.friendlyarm.com/index.php?route=product/product&amp;product_id=254

A lot more work has been done for the RK3399's. It's also still a work in progress. But for what you want it's more than ready.

I wish everybody working on it good luck, I'm following this thread for a while, and have been testing a lot of @krachlatte images. I hope you're going to find the problem and may receive your unit quickly. I also had to wait a very long time for it(+1 month).
I can say that Orange Pi uses different images for the eMMC version vs without eMMC. I've tried a non-eMMC image and this didn't work on my eMMC version. So this could also be a factor to keep in mind.
Cheers.

I've used the OPi3 Debian server and desktop image it works, but based on 3.10.65 kernel so a bit out of date, but it works for most things and Ethernet works, and USB3.0. So something to build upon, never had problems booting it. I've only managed to get one version from this post to work and that was @krachlatte version 06, none of the others.

So good luck on the next revision guys.

1 hour ago, dreddit said:

I've used the OPi3 Debian server and desktop image it works, but based on 3.10.65 kernel so a bit out of date, but it works for most things and Ethernet works, and USB3.0. So something to build upon, never had problems booting it. I've only managed to get one version from this post to work and that was @krachlatte version 06, none of the others.

So good luck on the next revision guys.

Awsome!
Thats really what im after. Replace my current ITX amd setup for opi3. SInce this is only a storage server, i don't really care for other than networking and usb3. 

Idea is to build as cheap storage server as possible using existing itx case (having a small opi  sized board gives me room for more drives) capable of gigabit network transfers (so usb2 is out of the question).

OPI3 and Rock64 currently seem like the cheapest option. Rock64 being better supported and 5$ cheaper, but slower CPU and less usb3 ports

3 hours ago, dreddit said:

I've used the OPi3 Debian server and desktop image it works, but based on 3.10.65 kernel so a bit out of date

That image runs like poo. It's Debian Jessie and hasn't been updated in ages. The cpu handless very badly. When in use it underclocks to 1.5Ghz cause it's above 60°C. Even with a heatsink + fan I can't keep it under 60°C.
It performs a lot worse than the Rock64 or Odroid C2 @ 1.5Ghz.
This is not what I call an acceptable image. Ubuntu the same. It's like they try to make a game out of it to keep using the same old images for all new models.

3 hours ago, dreddit said:

I've only managed to get one version from this post to work and that was @krachlatte version 06, none of the others.

I'm not sure I've tried that one. I'll try it again. I do not need ethernet if I can get some wifi to work.

3 hours ago, NicoD said:

That image runs like poo. It's Debian Jessie and hasn't been updated in ages. The cpu handless very badly. When in use it underclocks to 1.5Ghz cause it's above 60°C. Even with a heatsink + fan I can't keep it under 60°C.
This is not what I call an acceptable image. Ubuntu the same. It's like they try to make a game out of it to keep using the same old images for all new models.

I'm not sure I've tried that one. I'll try it again. I do not need ethernet if I can get some wifi to work.

I know what you mean about the image but there's not much else till the H6 gets more kernels to choose from and new projects. 

I used a USB 3.0 ethernet adapter with 06, but the throughput seemed limited. Might try again when I have a moment.

i think the problerm is in this files these are coiming wiht the overlay, cbecuase forme the schematic its not PA oit is PD6 for the gmac

since you say v0.06 was working i changed back the usb settings i will upload a ne image

&usb2phy {

usb0_vbus-supply = <&reg_usb_vbus>;

+ usb1_vbus-supply = <&reg_usb_vbus>;

- usb3_vbus-supply = <&reg_usb_vbus>;

status = "okay";

};

sun50i-h6-spi-add-cs1.dts

Spoiler

/dts-v1/;
/plugin/;

/ {
        compatible = "allwinner,sun50i-h6";

fragment@0 {
                target = <&pio>;
                __overlay__ {
                        spi0_cs1: spi0_cs1 {
                                pins = "PA10";
                                function = "gpio_out";
                                output-high;
                        };

spi1_cs1: spi1_cs1 {
                                pins = "PA21";
                                function = "gpio_out";
                                output-high;
                        };
                };
        };

fragment@1 {
                target = <&spi0>;
                __overlay__ {
                        pinctrl-names = "default", "default";
                        pinctrl-1 = <&spi0_cs1>;
                        cs-gpios = <0>, <&pio 0 10 0>; /* PA10 */
                };
        };

fragment@2 {
                target = <&spi1>;
                __overlay__ {
                        pinctrl-1 = <&spi1_cs1>;
                        cs-gpios = <0>, <&pio 0 21 0>; /* PA21 */
                };
        };
};

and

sun50i-a64-spi-add-cs1.dts

Spoiler

/dts-v1/;
/plugin/;

/ {
        compatible = "allwinner,sun50i-a64";

fragment@0 {
                target = <&pio>;
                __overlay__ {
                        spi0_cs1: spi0_cs1 {
                                pins = "PB6";
                                function = "gpio_out";
                                output-high;
                        };

spi1_cs1: spi1_cs1 {
                                pins = "PD6";
                                function = "gpio_out";
                                output-high;
                        };
                };
        };

fragment@1 {
                target = <&spi0>;
                __overlay__ {
                        pinctrl-1 = <&spi0_cs1>;
                        cs-gpios = <0>, <&pio 1 6 0>; /* PB6 */
                };
        };

fragment@2 {
                target = <&spi1>;
                __overlay__ {
                        pinctrl-1 = <&spi1_cs1>;
                        cs-gpios = <0>, <&pio 3 6 0>; /* PD6 */
                };
        };
};

v0.11 released and available for download

29 minutes ago, dreddit said:

Hello all. I'm new to this SBC stuff and I know its early days in development but is there a reason the Orange Pi3 does not reboot, as the power led stays on (red) and doesn't turn to green(whatever that even indicates).  

Reboot is broken on all H6 boards AFAIK. There is no solution for this problem yet. 

3 hours ago, martinayotte said:

I thought it was an unknown issue, even for upstream guys ...

I've tried adding H6 watchdog in DT, but it wasn't enough ...

Any other clues ?

I really don't know what's the catch. I didn't do anything. There were for sure issues at the beginning (reboot didn't work every time), but now it seems to work ok. Maybe it's ATF? I'm using upstream ATF from ARM repository.

On 2/28/2019 at 4:57 PM, NicoD said:

I installed Ubuntu and was able to upgrade to 18.04.2 LTS keeping the 3.10.65 kernel
Basically you have to replace the mirrors provided in /etc/apt/sources.list and resize the /boot partition (added another 50MB: originally it's only 50MB and the script "do-release-upgrade" fails), did the resizing on my main computer.
I can mount a USB3 pen drive but the I/O performance are appalling. Gigabit ethernet works fine.
I agree about overheating, I'll have to mount a heat sink...

2 hours ago, FrancescoT said:

I installed Ubuntu and was able to upgrade to 18.04.2 LTS keeping the 3.10.65 kernel
Basically you have to replace the mirrors provided in /etc/apt/sources.list and resize the /boot partition (added another 50MB: originally it's only 50MB and the script "do-release-upgrade" fails), did the resizing on my main computer.
I can mount a USB3 pen drive but the I/O performance are appalling. Gigabit ethernet works fine.

Even with a heat sink and a fan I encountered thermal throttling under load as well, using the Debian image. Worse transcoding performance than a Raspi Pi 3B+ but that's probably unrelated 

Edited by qcasey1

Been meaning to say this. The OPi3 seems to deafen nearby wireless devices when running the legacy kernel. It disrupts other WiFi devices, BT and my Logitech keyboard and mouse. Re Logitech dongle, if I put it on a long USB extension cable it works. 

My guess is that WiFi is outputting at maximum all the time, but it is just a guess. 

13 hours ago, FrancescoT said:

Check top for load. With 3.10.65 image it stabilizes at 3 which means three of four cores are permanently under full load which also explains the temperature issues. Did not test on OPi3 though as I do not have one but on OPi1+ which comes with H6 as well. 4.17 with initial support for H6 fixed this for me.