no network after boot odroidhc2

berobispo

Hi!

recently bought a HC2 from hardkernel to migrate my nextcloud from a raspberry pi 3b. HDD is a WD red 4 TB. armbian stretch with the 4.19 kernel, downloaded from armbian.com (Armbian_5.69_Odroidxu4_Debian_stretch_next_4.19.14).

My problem: after boot (sudo reboot now or sudo shutdown -r), no possibility to login, i.e. angryip scanner doesn't show the hc2, putty times out when trying to connect. All LEDs are lit or pulsate respectively. I have to physically disconnect the power supply and reboot, then I can easily login. This is probably not very healthy for the hdd (or the sd card..., although with the ro option and zram, not much is being written to the boot section anyway, right?)

I speculated that the hc2 has a problem with the 4tb hdd when booting and added the nofail option to /etc/fstab, but this doesn't do the trick.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I really like the hc2 formfactor and after having used nextcloud on the raspberry pi for 12 months now, I'd like to upgrade to a more powerful board, but this problem seems like a dealbreaker if I can't fix it.

EDIT: I corrected the used image, I actually had the 4.19 installed!

I also experience this sometimes - changing cables helped.  Try that.

On a side, we just downgrade kernel from 4.19.y to 4.14.y due to other problems. Now it's the same as stock. Fix network, update and upgrade.

oh, thanks! That was quick! which cables? the ethernet cable?

So, it is rather unlikely the fstab entry with the 4tb hdd? I thought maybe the hdd is "too big" and checking the filesystem causes problems...

EDIT: And how do I fix the network/downgrade the kernel? The migration is not finished yet, so downloading new image etc. wouldn't be a big problem. Should I do just that?

7 minutes ago, berobispo said:

And how do I fix the network/downgrade the kernel? The migration is not finished yet, so downloading new image etc. wouldn't be a big problem. Should I do just that?

If changing cables didn't help ... add some wireless module and conduct upgrade ... or just download latest image, yes.