Post your Speed Tests

lxde-OSIREN

speed test:

https://www.bing.com/search?FORM=INCOH2&pc=EUPP_IC05&PTAG=ICO-88905a57&q=speed+test

This network is for my business servers so I will be needing this speed, I think I will have 1gbps up/down by this week, post your speed tests even if its funny, my first home upload speed was 0.25mbps on a good day just acouple years ago :P

3.PNG.6b535ab9ffd1aed2e3fe68812a4bc449.PNG

what u pay is what u get /availability.

This however in conjunction, with an average cost, say McDonalds BigMac meal medium in Euro

Otherwise these tests are just random numbers, please edit ur post

// sent from mobile phone //

Testing download speed................................................................................
Download: 207.35 Mbit/s
Testing upload speed......................................................................................................
Upload: 203.69 Mbit/s

from my wifi.. :P my ISP claims it's symmetrical 1000 but even on wired network they mostly can't deliver.. :rolleyes: But seriously I don't care.. :D

7 hours ago, Tido said:

what u pay is what u get /availability.

Sure, but it can spark a conversation (which it has).  I see no foul.

In the US a big problem is distance and population density.  It simply would cost too much to get fiber to everyone.  My test above is a bit strange, since I should be getting 100/20 over a dual-link DSL. ($80/month, should see if there is a better deal, it's been a couple years, now that they deregulated the industry costs are going down)  In a lot of places where you have only a few people per square kilometer it is not always possible to get internet unless you go with cellular or satellite, so then the speeds are horrible and so are the costs.  Take my mother in law, the nearest "real" population center to her home is 100 km away.

Just now - this can be self hosted in the cloud - running this off my digital ocean VPS...

DL is a bit low as I have a 4K stream coming in from Hong Kong to San Diego...

Can get the source here -- https://github.com/adolfintel/speedtest

sfx_speed.thumb.png.c8e28cd3a3b77741877d31295c2d5f67.png

Nice to be former telco and have a $10/month symmetric fiber drop and no data caps... I don't actually use that much data however...

sfx_datausage.thumb.png.9c48c442a116281174303e81078d1e0a.png

Bufferbloat from DSLReports.com....

27578702_ScreenShot2019-01-20at6_36_24PM.png.bec881039d0c5f048c592fb58573d5f6.png

Probably right at the edge of what my router can do at the moment - it's a couple of years old and dual-core Intel Rangeley. chipset

nice tido that's a great speed for a home network, anyways I finally have my gigabit speeds when the technician changed my router/modem he tested it on his ipad and got way better speeds than my wired Ethernet connection. The problem is you also need a computer with a good networking board to take advantage of the gigabit speed, that's probably why your gigabit network is in the 300's hundreds devman we need absolute best network card to get the speed.

1 hour ago, ftp-bin2fex said:

devman we need absolute best network card to get the speed.

My ISP uses a passive-fibre setup that is oversubscribed, so it's a time-of-day issue.  I'm currently seeing 608 down / 724 up.

Given what I pay for it, I'm not going to complain. 

Running iperf3 between two of my internal machines gives me... 

[ ID] Interval           Transfer     Bandwidth       Retr
[  4]   0.00-10.00  sec  1.09 GBytes   940 Mbits/sec    0             sender
[  4]   0.00-10.00  sec  1.09 GBytes   939 Mbits/sec                  receiver

so it's not a network issue.  I can even get up to  ~880Mbps using a little Neo2.

see my card speed says 100mbps im pretty sure this is its limit, and for older androids there built in wifi always says like 52mbps so results at this point are because of my hardware limitations. I need to upgrade some stuff.

Yeah neo2 pi I read you can change the link speed to gigabits, for my  windows machine I just need a new eth card.

12.PNG       

4 hours ago, Tido said:

do they really advertise like this. Here they call that: best effort

Oh heck no, they don't even tell you that the overseas links are capped.  Then again, it's like.. ~$21 USD? and there's a waiting list for available fibre ports in most of the major building estates.

There's also dual, quad and a useless 10 Gbps plan available.  Why anyone would want 10 individual 1 gb links in a residential location beats me.  If I were going to be crazy like that, I'd rather a single 10gbps link that I can plug into an SFP+ port.

23 hours ago, ftp-bin2fex said:

that's probably why your gigabit network is in the 300's hundreds devman we need absolute best network card to get the speed.

not really.. A tinkerboard is able to do the job.. :D

18 hours ago, ftp-bin2fex said:

Yeah neo2 pi I read you can change the link speed to gigabits, for my  windows machine I just need a new eth card.

could be network card.. could be network cable.. for example the BPi R2 drops to 100mb/s with a bad cable (but even with good cables it isn't able to deliver the claimed GbE.. :P )

4 hours ago, nour said:

So you are all braggin about your powerful connections,

I will not do the test, the tool will feel insulted.

Well that's the tools issue not yours. :lol: As long as you get what you need it isn't much an issue. Unfortunately more and more websites start to bloat you with multimegabyte javascript garbage when you open them which is annoying.. I start to like pure static HTML websites.. :P

8 hours ago, chwe said:

to bloat you with multimegabyte javascript garbage

especially if they don't know or don't care about the possibilities to reduce this overhead. A pain for us, a real pain for region with slow internet access

On 1/21/2019 at 6:02 PM, devman said:

My ISP uses a passive-fibre setup that is oversubscribed, so it's a time-of-day issue.  I'm currently seeing 608 down / 724 up.

Given what I pay for it, I'm not going to complain. 

Look at the terms/conditions - many residential accounts are "up to xxxx"

I've seen business accounts where the BW commitment is a minimum level of service, and a 1 gigabit account there is usually many times higher than residential service....

13 hours ago, Tido said:

A pain for us, a real pain for region with slow internet access

And consider - even here in the US - there are vast regions in the fly-over states where the only options are 4G-LTE or Satellite - some time back I had to spend time as a care provider for an aging family member, and that was the only option as his home was 25 miles out of the nearest town...

I installed an LTE signal booster just to get mobile phone service in the house consistently, and his main broadband was over hughes, which like LTE, has a daily cap, and the latency made any kind of VOIP unusable..

Gives a whole new meaning to the term "git pull" :D

22 hours ago, chwe said:

not really.. A tinkerboard is able to do the job.. :D

Maybe not Tinker - it's got the horsepower CPU wise, but not the aggregate bandwidth for routing - the GMAC is good, but one would be limited by USB if one was set up as a router.

Heck, as a client, a NanoPI NEO2 can do a good 1Gb/Sec throughput..

I'm thinking though - for routing - ClearFog Pro or Base - the Armada 38x is a true comms chipset, and it does have horsepower and more than enough bandwidth across it's two GMAC's to be a decent choice as an edge router and gateway.

I can't even host with 4g I once found a tool for the would be router ip of the 4g connection but it asks for a password, im trying to forward ports all the time I cant see G's network future I hear however fios lets you forward 4g ports but I never tried it, and nour just post your test.

4 hours ago, ftp-bin2fex said:

I can't even host with 4g I once found a tool for the would be router ip of the 4g connection but it asks for a password, im trying to forward ports all the time I cant see G's network future I hear however fios lets you forward 4g ports but I never tried it, and nour just post your test.

On a 4G connection (or cellular in general) you're often going to be in a private address space.  It's usually the 10.100.x.x 'carrier grade nat' reserved space, but varies by carrier.  Some carriers will allow you to apply for a public address for your sim card, but there's often a one-time setup fee (last time I ran across it, it was $500 usd setup per account not per sim).

If you really need a publically routable IP for your device/servers and can't relocate your services offsite, I'd suggest you spin up a cloud instance on one of the major providers (AWS, DigitalOcean, Azure, etc) and use it as a private VPN endpoint.

17 hours ago, devman said:

On a 4G connection (or cellular in general) you're often going to be in a private address space.  It's usually the 10.100.x.x 'carrier grade nat' reserved space, but varies by carrier.  Some carriers will allow you to apply for a public address for your sim card, but there's often a one-time setup fee (last time I ran across it, it was $500 usd setup per account not per sim).

Couple of things - I used to work for a Wireless Carrier that did 3G and LTE - 7th largest in the US until it was consumed by AT&T...

10.0.0.0/8 is private addressing - we used this plus the other ranges internally inside the engineering plant, from core to edge.

100.64.0.0/10 - this is carrier grade NAT, we used this extensively on the customer facing network, as it scales nicely

We didn't allow public IP's ever - just didn't happen, we didn't want to be hosting private servers on our network.

13 hours ago, sfx2000 said:

Couple of things - I used to work for a Wireless Carrier that did 3G and LTE - 7th largest in the US until it was consumed by AT&T...

10.0.0.0/8 is private addressing - we used this plus the other ranges internally inside the engineering plant, from core to edge.

100.64.0.0/10 - this is carrier grade NAT, we used this extensively on the customer facing network, as it scales nicely

We didn't allow public IP's ever - just didn't happen, we didn't want to be hosting private servers on our network.

That's what happens when I don't fact-check what I think I know.   You're right, I've somehow merged the 10 & 100 spaces into a fictional space that only exists in my head.

The $500 fee was also for STATIC ip addresses, not necessarily public, eg https://www.verizonwireless.com/businessportals/support/faqs/DataServices/faq_static_ip.html

Sorry for the misinformation.  I'll go back to doing server stuff and leave the troubleshooting to the support guys.