Orange Pi One Plus Desktop Enviroment

Liffy

Is it possible to install a desktop Enviroment on the Orange Pi One Plus without any problems? Whenever I use the Armbian config minimal desktop option, the Orange Pi stays on a red LED. It says it cannot install simpleFB, and it just sits at the starting kernel screen.

2 hours ago, Liffy said:

to install a desktop Enviroment

You need to develop/port a kernel video driver first. See here: https://linux-sunxi.org/Linux_mainlining_effort#Status_Matrix Our support is a bit further, but not there yet. Perhaps another 3-6 months. If you want to speed this up a little: https://www.armbian.com/get-involved

Just now, jernej said:

@Igor H6 HDMI driver will be in 5.0. Did I miss anything?

I keep forgetting we already move DEV branch to 4.20.y, but haven't tried H6 support yet. Porting to 4.19.y ... not sure if there is a point in that and if I want to get my hands dirty :) 

I have H6 DRM patches prepared for 4.20, so you can just copy them over. However, I think you would need some more of them for 4.19. Currently, we're investigating some troubles with HDMI, so it's not stable yet anyway.

56 minutes ago, dolphs said:

What about a heat sink for cpu/gpu?

Will it happily run without one when all cores will be clocked to 1,8Ghz and running a desktop environment (gpu)?

Probably not. It may run though, however throttles itself down at about 75°C. CPU only, as I use it as server without GUI.

Information for this person who builds nightly dev images. These images for orange one plus only work for the first reboot. After him, eth0 is not available. And you have to go through gymnastics when you restore them. It makes no sense to put them on the server at this initial stage. Desktop on 1GB RAM is pointless. For a version with 1GB of ram, can not you build a 32 bit image? best regards

9 minutes ago, constantius said:

eth0 is not available.

This issue has been discovered 2 days ago, and it is not an Armbian issue ...

10 minutes ago, constantius said:

It makes no sense to put them on the server at this initial stage

Nigthlies are always images "no support ! use at you own risk !"

11 minutes ago, constantius said:

Desktop on 1GB RAM is pointless.

There is no Desktop in Nightly folder ...

12 minutes ago, constantius said:

can not you build a 32 bit image?

Unfortunately no ! A 64bits SoC will always be 64bits kernel, even if you install 32bits libraries.

If you wish 32bits, simply purchase the OPiOne which use H3 instead of H6.