Nanopi Neo 2 LEDs (green at least) - just curious

dispo

Armbianmonitor:

Hi,

I have just received some shiny new NanoPi Neo 2 boards, hardware v 1.1, model 1711 with 1Gb RAM.

I have installed Armbian Stretch mainline kernel 4.19.y with no issues at all however I have noticed that the green LED is pretty well ignoring anything I ask of it.

ls -la /sys/class/leds/
total 0
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root 0 Jan 25 16:14 .
drwxr-xr-x 52 root root 0 Jan  1  1970 ..
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 0 Jan  1  1970 nanopi:green:status -> ../../devices/platform/leds/leds/nanopi:green:status
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 0 Jan  1  1970 nanopi:red:pwr -> ../../devices/platform/leds/leds/nanopi:red:pwr

cat /sys/class/leds/nanopi:green:status/trigger
none kbd-scrolllock kbd-numlock kbd-capslock kbd-kanalock kbd-shiftlock kbd-altgrlock kbd-ctrllock kbd-altlock kbd-shiftllock kbd-shiftrlock kbd-ctrlllock kbd-ctrlrlock usbport usb-gadget usb-host disk-activity disk-read disk-write ide-disk mtd nand-disk [heartbeat] cpu cpu0 cpu1 cpu2 cpu3 default-on panic mmc0 0.2:07:link 0.2:07:1Gbps 0.2:07:100Mbps 0.2:07:10Mbps rfkill-any rfkill-none

Of the above only 'none' heartbeat' and 'default-on' seem to work, all others are just off / no activity. I didn't try the kbd / usb related ones etc. as I don't have one attached.

There was a comment in Nanopi NEO 2 dated May 2017 that this was seen and may get looked at so was just wondering if this is still as expected ? From the date and the colours mentioned I am also assuming that the original thread and comments covered the v1.0 hardware.

All that aside, gotta say - Love your work.

6 hours ago, dispo said:

Of the above only 'none' heartbeat' and 'default-on' seem to work, all others are just off / no activity. I didn't try the kbd / usb related ones etc. as I don't have one attached.

Hi @dispo, what happens if you try something like this:

sudo su -
echo mmc0 >/sys/class/leds/nanopi\:green\:status/trigger
# watch the green LED when running the next command
hdparm -t /dev/mmcblk0

The LED should blink very quickly while the read test is performed.  You could also try an "apt update" etc. that does disk activity, and the LED should flash quickly.  While I haven't tried many of the other settings, I have used the "mmc0" one fairly often, and it has always worked for me.

thanks for that - mmc0 did work, I must have missed it or used a poor test.

none of the cpu variants seem to though which is a shame as I usually use those to confirm the box is alive and active.

currently these are running pihole which doesnt generate much disk traffic with most of the activity in ram / ramdisk so the led activity is low at best.

even creating a .tgz and setting the led to any cpu generates no light. :|