Slow (~3 MB/s) SMB write speeds

bambam

Hey all! Finally got my Rock64 booted up and running. I set up a Samba server and a Plex share so I can access an attached USB3 RAID array as a media server. Initially I was getting speeds of ~3 MB/s write and attributed it to transferring over wifi with an ancient Airport Express Draft-N router. Upgraded to a Netgear R7000P and the issue still persists so I figured it would be worth it to post here.

I would've attributed it to the USB3 to eSata converter going to the RAID array but doing some disk speed tests on the Rock64 shows it getting about 130 MB/s read/write speed over the connection so I doubt it's that. Samba setup is stock and my share described below.

"

read only = no
        create mask = 0777
        directory mask = 0777
        follow symlinks = yes
        wide links = yes
        browsable = yes

"

My Rock64 boots up saying it's running 5.65 stable Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS 4.4.162-rockchip64

44 minutes ago, TonyMac32 said:

Well, the question then becomes, which Rock64 is it?  I don't know that all of the devs have the newer  (or newest) one.  Can you do an iperf test to see if your network connection is the issue?

It's one of the 2GB models, I bought it last summer so it's about 9 months old.

Looks like it might be - if I'm doing this right (I'm a bit of a linux novice), I set iperf to be the server, and iperf -c to the IP of my Rock64. It's still hanging, whereas my Windows laptop was showing 1.73 Gbps doing the same style test. I'm definitely confused now since I can SSH into it without a problem, and have it connected with a brand-new CAT6 cable. Maybe an issue with the kernel?

Edit: Novice is right, I had it configured wrong. Here's the output from iperf to the Rock64's assigned IP

[  3] local 192.168.1.-- port ----- connected with 192.168.1.-- port ----
[ ID] Interval       Transfer     Bandwidth
[  3]  0.0- 2.0 sec   960 MBytes  4.03 Gbits/sec
[  3]  2.0- 4.0 sec   958 MBytes  4.02 Gbits/sec
[  3]  4.0- 6.0 sec   962 MBytes  4.03 Gbits/sec
[  3]  6.0- 8.0 sec   954 MBytes  4.00 Gbits/sec

3 minutes ago, bambam said:

I set iperf to be the server, and iperf -c to the IP of my Rock64

So the Rock64 is the server?

As for SSH, it takes very little bandwidth.  Do you have any special software installed that might be interfering?

Also please post the armbianmonitor -u link, that might be helpful.

4 minutes ago, TonyMac32 said:

So the Rock64 is the server?

As for SSH, it takes very little bandwidth.  Do you have any special software installed that might be interfering?

Also please post the armbianmonitor -u link, that might be helpful.

Rock64 is the server, and my apologies - I edited that post right as you were replying. Pinging in a loop from the Rock64 back to the Rock64 across different ports got a result - I haven't been able to get it to work from that IP to my desktop on the same network though.

Not sure if it matters but I'm running off of an SD card and not eMMC or anything. No additional software that I would be able to name either than Plex and Samba. From what I remember the speeds were that slow prior to setting up Plex.

Armbianmonitor link is http://ix.io/1zC9

I can't make any definitive statements on this as yet, but my guess is either the delays are different between board revisions,

[    1.706658] rk_gmac-dwmac ff540000.ethernet: TX delay(0x26).
[    1.706673] rk_gmac-dwmac ff540000.ethernet: RX delay(0x11).

or there is an IRQ issue...

[    1.786766] eth%d: PHY ID 001cc916 at 0 IRQ POLL (stmmac-0:00) active
[    1.786778] eth%d: PHY ID 001cc916 at 1 IRQ POLL (stmmac-0:01)

I'm about to go to bed, so I can't do more debugging from my side tonight, hopefully someone else can pick this up who has the board...

@bambam

Are you still connected with wifi? 3Mb/s over wifi is respectable for a basic 802.11n wifi link, considering also that SMB has some amount of traffic overhead.

The iperf log you posted, looks like it is over local loopback, since 4Gbit/s seems way too much to me...

On 2/2/2019 at 10:57 AM, jock said:

@bambam

Are you still connected with wifi? 3Mb/s over wifi is respectable for a basic 802.11n wifi link, considering also that SMB has some amount of traffic overhead.

The iperf log you posted, looks like it is over local loopback, since 4Gbit/s seems way too much to me...

3 MB/s was fine for what I was expecting over my 802.11n network, but now I've upgraded to 802.11ac and it hasn't increased speeds. I've seen a few users on here get 40+ MBps over wifi, so I know that higher performance is indeed possible.

I think you're right with the local loopback though, seeing as it's only a gigabit connection on the Rock64

Well well, bumping is not allowed - you could have brought new information on your investigation - so I will delete above message to save others the time.

However, you should know  WLAN/WiFi is as unreliable as it gets but, if you have an Android mobile you can install this app to find out if you are in a crowded WiFi place or on a farm in Kentucky  https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer&hl=en_US

where your WiFi is the only one around.  Nothing beats cable.

On 5/13/2019 at 3:19 AM, Tido said:

Well well, bumping is not allowed - you could have brought new information on your investigation - so I will delete above message to save others the time.

However, you should know  WLAN/WiFi is as unreliable as it gets but, if you have an Android mobile you can install this app to find out if you are in a crowded WiFi place or on a farm in Kentucky  https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer&hl=en_US

where your WiFi is the only one around.  Nothing beats cable.

Hah, I am in an apartment complex so it's a bit crowded but I try to take the bands where only 2 or 3 people are using them rather than a dozen. Still, WiFi shouldn't be the problem when I can transfer at 20MB/s over a windows share but only do 3MB/s over the Rock64. Something is fishy there but I'm not sure if I need to reflash my board with a different bootloader or really what steps to take right now. Thanks for the info about bumping!

3 hours ago, bambam said:

it's a bit crowded

so you have a potential failure in your System.

If you want to analyze your problem, take a cable and measure again.

Make sure you chose a reliable methode to measure and let us know how you did it, so others can learn from you.

If you don't spend your time to measure, why should others spend time for Your Problem

// sent from mobile phone //

Hi,

i also have low throughputs with wifi. I have a rock64 v2 with 4Gb and i use a 802.11n usb2/wifi adapter (the found on pine64 website).

I made some test using iperf. With the Gigabit interface, i get ~800Mbits/sec with both ayfan bionic 4.4.132 on eMMc and with armbian bionic 4.4.174 on a SD card; the throughput seems a little speeder when booting on the eMMC but this is not significant.

Always using iperf, the wifi throughput is at least 2 times slower when booting on a SD card :wacko:. (~40 Mbits/sec on eMMC, and ~15 Mbits/sec on SD).
Now concerning the internet throughput, it is always lower than 100 MBits/sec (using gigabit and booting on eMMc) although my internet connection allows 500 Mbits/sec (so 5 times lower), and at least 2 times lower when booting on SD. And the internet throughput using wifi is ~40 Mbits/sec on eMMC, and ~15 Mbits/sec on SD.

To resume, the internet throughput is really slow (even with gigabit ethernet), my wifi adaptor is also slow, and booting on a SD reduces by at leasr 2 the throughputs except for gigabit ethernet tranfers.

Any comments?

regards

Pascal