Clearfog PRO change pcie to msata

gustavobsch

Hi, I have not been able to find clear instructions explaning how to compile u-boot so it detects the installed msata disk.

What I think I have to do is rebuild u-boot using the armbian build tools and patch uboot by moving and renaming file below

~/armbian/patch/u-boot/u-boot-mvebu/slot0=sata_1=sata.patch.disabled

to the folder

~/armbian/userpatches/u-boot/u-boot-mvebu/board_clearfogpro/slot0=sata_1=sata.patch

After builds completes I get a linux-u-boot-clearfogpro_5.74_armhf.deb which I installed and nothing happened the msata disk still not detected.

Is that how am I supposted to go about to enable msata support?

ARMBIAN 5.60 stable Debian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch) 4.4.153-mvebu

root@armada:~# dpkg -L linux-u-boot-clearfogpro-default
/.
/usr
/usr/lib
/usr/lib/linux-u-boot-clearfogpro_5.74_armhf
/usr/lib/linux-u-boot-clearfogpro_5.74_armhf/u-boot-uart.flash
/usr/lib/linux-u-boot-clearfogpro_5.74_armhf/u-boot-uart.mmc
/usr/lib/linux-u-boot-clearfogpro_5.74_armhf/u-boot-uart.sata
/usr/lib/linux-u-boot-clearfogpro_5.74_armhf/u-boot.flash
/usr/lib/linux-u-boot-clearfogpro_5.74_armhf/u-boot.mmc
/usr/lib/linux-u-boot-clearfogpro_5.74_armhf/u-boot.sata
/usr/lib/u-boot
/usr/lib/u-boot/LICENSE
/usr/lib/u-boot/platform_install.sh

7 hours ago, gustavobsch said:

I installed and nothing happened the msata disk still not detected.

Did you tried both slots? I forget which is 1st and which 2nd. 

This patch was working ... two years ago, but since they actually made some changes:
https://github.com/SolidRun/u-boot-armada38x/commits/u-boot-2013.01-15t1-clearfog
it is possible that it doesn't work any more.

3 hours ago, Igor said:

Did you tried both slots? I forget which is 1st and which 2nd. 

This patch was working ... two years ago, but since they actually made some changes:
https://github.com/SolidRun/u-boot-armada38x/commits/u-boot-2013.01-15t1-clearfog
it is possible that it doesn't work any more.

Yes I did try both however, I don't think I'm updating u-boot on the SD card after applying the patch and compiling it.

I boot the clearfog from an SD card so, do I have to upgrade u-boot using dd? if so, which of the following files should I use? I tried u-boot.flash 'dd if=u-boot.flash of=/dev/mmcblk0 bs=512 seek=1' but that made the SD card unbootable..

/usr/lib/linux-u-boot-clearfogpro_5.74_armhf/u-boot-uart.flash
/usr/lib/linux-u-boot-clearfogpro_5.74_armhf/u-boot-uart.mmc
/usr/lib/linux-u-boot-clearfogpro_5.74_armhf/u-boot-uart.sata
/usr/lib/linux-u-boot-clearfogpro_5.74_armhf/u-boot.flash
/usr/lib/linux-u-boot-clearfogpro_5.74_armhf/u-boot.mmc
/usr/lib/linux-u-boot-clearfogpro_5.74_armhf/u-boot.sata

Also,  which patch should I use slot0=mpci_1=sata.patch.disabled or slot0=sata_1=sata.patch.disabled? it's not clear to me

14 minutes ago, gustavobsch said:

I boot the clearfog from an SD card so, do I have to upgrade u-boot using dd? if so, which of the following files should I use? I tried u-boot.flash 'dd if=u-boot.flash of=/dev/mmcblk0 bs=512 seek=1' but that made the SD card unbootable..

You need to use u-boot.mmc

If you boot from SD card you only need to install this package with dpkg -i U_BOOT_PACK.DEB That's all.

4 minutes ago, Igor said:

You need to use u-boot.mmc

If you boot from SD card you only need to install this package with dpkg -i U_BOOT_PACK.DEB That's all.

I see, then I assume installing the package autmatically calls /usr/lib/u-boot/platform_install.sh which in turn installs u-boot.mmc by calling the function below 

write_uboot_platform () 

dd if=$1/u-boot.mmc of=$2 bs=512 seek=1 status=noxfer > /dev/null 2>&1
}

What about my other question regarding the right patch to use? the name of the two are confusingly similar, which patch should I use slot0=mpci_1=sata.patch.disabled or slot0=sata_1=sata.patch.disabled?

Thanks! 

5 minutes ago, gustavobsch said:

What about my other question regarding the right patch to use? the name of the two are confusingly similar, which patch should I use slot0=mpci_1=sata.patch.disabled or slot0=sata_1=sata.patch.disabled?

I already answer to that question. I have no time to dig again into this problem.

I tried both patchs since it wasn't clear which one was needed and the sata disk was not detected in either case.

I removed the pcie wifi card and tried moving the msata disk alone to both slots every time I compiled u-boot, no change.

I compiled u-boot using the armbian build tools and the 'current' or 4.4 kernel branch.

Seems like this is no longer working. There's another user reporting issues after upgrade, not sure if related.

6 hours ago, gustavobsch said:

There's another user reporting issues after upgrade, not sure if related.

That is unrelated. I tried to recreate but for me everything is working fine.

6 hours ago, gustavobsch said:

every time I compiled u-boot, no change.

Check output/debug/patching.log to see if a patch is applied properly. If not, change those number according to instructions in the source code and recompile. With our tools or by hand.