Stop-gap overscan Login possible solution.

Seasalt

I am thinking about the Over-scan on first boot issue and the problems people are having trying to log in if the login questions are off the screen bottom.

I under stand it is caused by not having a lot of development into the screen size adjusting software.

It is essential that the lead developers prioritize the main Armbian bugs issues and I do not consider on the fly screen resizing a major issue when a stop gap solution could possibly work.

My temporary solution would simply be that all logins scripts be tripled.

ie..

Login

login

login:

password

password

password:

Enter New Password

Enter New Password

Enter New Password:

So even if some one cannot see all three due to over-scan they can at least understand how to get into a graphical interface by completing the first boot login procedure.

Seasalt.

In other words: You're telling me that displays exist where it's not possible to fix the display's problem (overscan) through buttons or OSM? Hard to believe...

There's a psychological experiement going on over there: Selling IT devices to a rather clueless Kickstarter crowd to figure out how they manage to overcome the various stumbling blocks without any help from the vendor. The good news: They all succeed in the end.

Unfortunately the stuff above doesn't work. And we will not spend any time with this horrible BSP kernel/drivers since mainlining efforts are progressing nicely. So searching through the display's OSM is currently the only way to get Armbian up and running if you're running in this issue.

Maybe it's better to ship with 1080p60 instead of 720p60 by default since this avoids overscan issues on more displays. But again: At least I won't spend a second on this so either this will be a collective research project done by users or it will not happen :)

I think the issue is cheap TV's of which mine is, slightly expanding the video image so that a movie has no visible blank edge. Ideal for watching movies but a disaster for using a TV as a Computer monitor.

I have looked every where in the TV menu's for a adjustment setting.

My Andoid Minix H6 allows me to reduce the image 3% and then the Android graphical interface fits back inside the visible area.

I do not see Armbian screen size as a priority issue for now.

My main concern is first time installers trying Armbian on a TV are not put off when they cannot Log in easily.

Seasalt