BPI M2 Ultra: Restored Image not booting after Kernel compilation

MarkusM2Ultra

Hi all,

i have the problem that a restored image not starts.

Following situation: i copy the armbian 5.69 ubuntu bionic next desktop image on a 8GB sdcard. Linux system starts. I make an update/upgrade of all files (Kernel Version 4.19.13 is installed). After that i compile a new Kernel und install it (same kernel version but including an added module). Linux starts again with the new Kernel Version. Even after a reboot or Power on, Power Off the system is starting again. I make a backup of the sdcard with W32DiskImager, Roadkill´s Disk Image or USBit and save it under Windows. Then i copy the backuped image on a new sdcard. But this copy doesn´t boot on the Banana Pi M2 Ultra. I don´t know why. There is no error during the complete process (creating backup, restoring). Anybody an idea?

I made backups several time in the past and it was no problem. I tested the folling points: different sdcards (even with 16GB size, all tried sdcards works with other images), different Image software (W32DiskImager, Roadkill´s Disk Image or USBit). When i make a backup of the sdcard after the update/upgrade process but without a new compiled kernel and copy the backup to a new sdcard the image starts without any problems. It must depend from the kernel compilation but i don´t know why because the original sdcard with the image with the new compiled kernel starts without any problem.

I would help me very much when somebody would have an idea.

Thank you in advance