Wrong numbering/names for the ethernet ports of the EspressoBin V7

FlashBurn

I just got my EspressoBin V7 and installed the current armbian for it. I haven't tested much, but Globalscale has changed the numbering of the ethernet ports, as can been seen in the Wiki of the EspressoBin.

What do I have to do to rename the ports permanently, so that no update can change it back?

Or is this something that needs to be changed in armbian for the V7 boards?

Just now, FlashBurn said:

Does this mean the change will not be in a newer version of armbian or it will take some time till the pull request will be in armbian?

Yes, since it would break older versions.

Would it possible that armbian supplies the needed dtb for the V7 with aonther name and one has just to make sure that the right file is loaded by uboot?

Can I assume that if I put my own dtb file at the right position that it will never be overwritten by a kernel update?

It appears boot.cmd, and the compiled (?) boot.scr are not installed/modified by packages.  Therefore, you can set the current line that points to espressobin to your own dtb file, which is generated with my patch to switch the names.

The existing espressobin DTB has a lot of patches in the armbian-build system.  What I think I want, and maybe FlashBurn does too, is to take the final 3720-espressobin.dtb, build that for legacy users, and then patch it once more to create a 3720-espressobinv7.dtb.  Then, we can modify our boot.cmd for our board variant.

But I don't understand the kernel compilation and patching well enough to accomplish this on my own.  Can I add a dtb that includes the existing one, and simply overwrites the &mdio node?  Is there some existing mechanism in the Makefiles that would accomplish this?

Lastly, assuming I do get a v7.dtb, I don't know where the file lists are for the debian package builds.  So even though I think I've built an (incorrect at the moment) v7.dtb, it isn't being added to the linux-dtb-next-mvebu64 package.