My Armbian does not see my Ssd

areinink

Armbianmonitor:

Hello,

Since a week I try moving the OS on the sdcard to an attached SSD.

Because the BPIM1 has a genuime SATA interface it should work.

I have found dozens of tutorials how to do this. Until now I did not find any tutorial that works.

Of course I started with nand-install expecting this would work out of the box.

But after the install and rebooting I got the notification that it couldn't find the ssd.

I guess I have to change something in the bootloader on the sdcard?

(I am not a Linux expert but an enthustiastic Linux user)

Is there any working tutorial including the final steps?

Kind regards,

André Reinink

From the Armbian docs:

On Allwinner devices after switching to boot from NAND or eMMC clearing the boot loader signature on the SD card is recommended:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mmcblkN bs=1024 seek=8 count=1 (replace /dev/mmcblkN with the correct device node – in case you run this directly after nand-sata-install without a reboot in between then it’s /dev/mmcblk0).

9FEB2019:

I did add this extra step after the nand-install.

After executing this and restarting, the BPIM2 doesn't boot anymore?

What did I do wrong?

10FEB2019:

After 7th attempts I changed the SSD (Intel 180GB) for an OCZ 120GB).
Attempt number 8 with the OCZ was succesfull with nand-sata-install. No problems at all. I am happy:-)

Edited by areinink
I have found the problem

6 minutes ago, Igor said:

ahci-sunxi 1c18000.sata: PHY power up failed.

Armbian can't help. Power your board properly.

It is powered directly from the motherboard socket, any other specific operating system works perfectly no longer this armbian does not work.
What are you advising me?

Just now, arhangel76 said:

It is powered directly from the motherboard socket, any other specific operating system works perfectly no longer this armbian does not work.
What are you advising me?

Another possible scenario is that u-boot is messed up. Checking right now ...

I tested that SO too and I do not see my ssd.

I installed OMV 4 Banana Pi Pro and everything is ok "sees" my ssd,but after the whole system moves to ssd, they can not do anything from the administration interface.

My project is the following:
I want to install OMV on a 500Gb ssd, and on microsd just boot.

1 hour ago, arhangel76 said:

I installed OMV 4 Banana Pi Pro and everything is ok

Which is Armbian + OMV application:

1 hour ago, arhangel76 said:

My project is the following:
I want to install OMV on a 500Gb ssd, and on microsd just boot.

That's not a problem, but the mystery is why you can't see SSD with Armbian but I can. Even a mechanical drive. 

10 hours ago, NicoD said:

What is your problem?

Still the problem described in

http://forum.banana-pi.org/t/armbian-buster-bionic-no-sata-device-detected/10844/2

Just tried again with old bananian image, SATA-device are shown; with Armbian the error “ahci-sunxi 1c18000.sata: PHY power up failed.” is there - even with no device detected.

Measured power for sata device shows 5.1 volt, and if a harddisk connects, the device runs up, but no message in dmesg.

Hi all,

after successful install of Armbian Buster (Armbian_20.02.5_Bananapi_buster_current_5.4.26.img) on my Bananian M1/2?? (has MicroSD) all seems to be good…

All updates are there, but: The hard disk i connected to the board via Sata, with additional 5V power cable is not detected, dmesg|grep -i sata says:

[    2.439534] ahci-sunxi 1c18000.sata: PHY power up failed.
[    2.439605] ahci-sunxi: probe of 1c18000.sata failed with error -5

Curious, because changing the Micro SD card to old raspbian / bananian os shows all devices, including the SATA parts. Power is given by original 2.5A supply.

Same problem on Armbian Bionic… and also archived images. But only armbian...

Just tried again with old bananian image, SATA-device are shown; with Armbian the error “ahci-sunxi 1c18000.sata: PHY power up failed.” is there - even with no device detected.

Measured power for sata device shows 5.1 volt, and if a harddisk connects, the device runs up, but no message in dmesg.

Thanks Bommel

I just updated my Banana pi to latest kernel (5.4.26), SATA is still detected (and it's a good thing as I used `nand-sata-install`).

I understand it's not the same test (not a clean install) but at least kernel/dtb/uboot should be the same.

Hope this helps.

1 hour ago, vlad59 said:

I understand it's not the same test (not a clean install) but at least kernel/dtb/uboot should be the same.

If you dare ;), go to armbian-config -> system and update boot loader. This is since some time not updated automatically anymore. But be prepared ...

I just did a armbian-config -> System ->  Firmware : run apt update & apt upgrade. It went fine.

I'm not sure it worked though (u-boot stayed with 20.02.5 and not 20.02.7 with label 2019.10)  :

root@minus:~# dpkg -l | grep linux-
ii  binutils-arm-linux-gnueabihf       2.30-21ubuntu1~18.04.2              armhf        GNU binary utilities, for arm-linux-gnueabihf target
ii  linux-base                         4.5ubuntu1.1                        all          Linux image base package
ii  linux-bionic-root-current-bananapi 20.02.5                             armhf        Armbian tweaks for bionic on bananapi (current branch)
ii  linux-dtb-current-sunxi            20.02.7                             armhf        Linux DTB, version 5.4.28-sunxi
ii  linux-image-current-sunxi          20.02.7                             armhf        Linux kernel, version 5.4.28-sunxi
ii  linux-libc-dev:armhf               4.15.0-91.92                        armhf        Linux Kernel Headers for development
ii  linux-u-boot-bananapi-current      20.02.5                             armhf        Uboot loader 2019.10

is there a quick way to check the uboot installed in the SD (I'll hook a HDMI monitor and see if the version is show there) ?

I have the same issue. LeMaker Banana Pi, has been running fine with older Raspbian image. Needed to update it for a few reasons, but SATA not recognized:

# dmesg|egrep -i '(banana|ahci|sata)'
[    0.000000] OF: fdt: Machine model: LeMaker Banana Pi
[    3.588009] ahci-sunxi 1c18000.sata: 1c18000.sata supply ahci not found, using dummy regulator
[    3.588108] ahci-sunxi 1c18000.sata: 1c18000.sata supply phy not found, using dummy regulator
[    3.588174] ahci-sunxi 1c18000.sata: 1c18000.sata supply target not found, using dummy regulator
[    3.620545] ahci-sunxi 1c18000.sata: PHY power up failed.
[    3.620775] ahci-sunxi: probe of 1c18000.sata failed with error -5

# dpkg -l | grep linux-
ii  binutils-arm-linux-gnueabihf       2.30-21ubuntu1~18.04.2              armhf        GNU binary utilities, for arm-linux-gnueabihf target
iF  linux-base                         4.5ubuntu1.1                        all          Linux image base package
ii  linux-bionic-root-current-bananapi 20.02.5                             armhf        Armbian tweaks for bionic on bananapi (current branch)
ii  linux-dtb-current-sunxi            20.02.7                             armhf        Linux DTB, version 5.4.28-sunxi
ii  linux-image-current-sunxi          20.02.7                             armhf        Linux kernel, version 5.4.28-sunxi
ii  linux-libc-dev:armhf               4.15.0-91.92                        armhf        Linux Kernel Headers for development
ii  linux-u-boot-bananapi-current      20.02.5                             armhf        Uboot loader 2019.10

also changed to linux-u-boot-bananapi-legacy but made no difference.

I can insert older SD card in, and SATA works fine.

PSU is fine.

Happy to help troubleshoot.

20 hours ago, vlad59 said:

u-boot stayed with 20.02.5 and not 20.02.7 with label 2019.10

That's OK. Kernel is updated more often. 

6 hours ago, president_ltd said:

I have the same issue. LeMaker Banana Pi, has been running fine with older Raspbian image. Needed to update it for a few reasons, but SATA not recognized:

Now this means we have a problem which needs attention.

Same issue here as presdident_ltd with a LeMaker Banana Pi pro. Sata in old bananian distro is working fine, latest armbian shows the same

dmesg output ...

ahci-sunxi 1c18000.sata: PHY power up failed.

Anything I can do to

help with debugging / resolving the issue?

1 minute ago, vobo70 said:

I can do it if you tell me how to check u-boot version

Power the board with monitor (or serial console) attached to it and it will tell you version in the first line(s).