DNSMasq stops resolving external websites sometimes.

bayindirh

Armbianmonitor:

Hello all,

I'm using Armbian 5.73 stable (Ubuntu 16.04.5 LTS) for a year or so on an OrangePi Zero. That little box is working as a backup box and network-wise DNS server via DNSMasq (ver.  2.75-1ubuntu0.16.04.5). The OS and general system is working very stable, but I'm having issues with DNSMasq. It's solving both local systems' names via /etc/hosts and internet hostnames for the whole network.

Sometimes, DNSMasq stops solving external addresses. There'll be no error and warning messages anywhere, and when pinged with kill -USR1 signal, it happily prints the current stats. I'm running with a cache size of 6148, and I see no cache overflows in the stats.

I've experienced no write/read errors on the SD card and the USB stick which I push backups to since I first installed the system, however I recently updated the PSU to an 2.5A one. It helped with speed, but the DNSMasq issue didn't go away.

Has anyone experienced any problems with DNSMasq? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

34 minutes ago, Igor said:

My suggestion would be to move to Ubuntu Bionic and if that doesn't help, do some Googling for dnsmasq issues. 

Thanks for your answer :)

I've looked to DNSMasq bugzilla in Ubuntu, Debian and did a general Google search before. Didn't find a similar issue, and posted here at last.

Is directly release-upgrading in Armbian safe? I've customized the distro the way I want a lot, and can't afford to migrate to a clean install of Bionic time-wise.

1 minute ago, bayindirh said:

Is directly release-upgrading in Armbian safe?

It should be. People had success but it depends on your customisations ... but at the same time, nobody can give you warranty.

You probably have some spare SD card and perhaps a spare board to try if this helps at all?

I actually have enough spares. Can clone and try it, why not? It's a nice idea :)

The customization I did should not be breaking. I've installed some packages, written some small tools, added some cron jobs, maybe changed some services' default parameters, etc. I actually use Debian for ~13 years now, and Linux in general for a bit longer. So I'm used to do small changes in my systems as I use them and find places which can be tuned better for my requirements. Since they're too small & short to document, they generally got lost in the process. This is why I'm hesitant to take the risk :)

Thanks again for the quick reply. I'll keep the progress updated in this thread.

I just wanted to post a quick update:

Doing in-place upgrade to xenial -> bionic went without any problems. I only needed to update my armbian repository source file by hand (do-release-upgrade disables it, and updates it wrong, so there's that).

The good news is, dnsmasq is not abruptly stopping anymore. It's working as it should. No weekly updates or paranoid nslookup checks to see whether it's alive.