How does the ARMBIAN versioning work?

odoll

Hello, I own boards of two different manufactures, namely a Cubietruck and an Espressobin.

Before a recent Kernel update these days I was still greeted with the following messages:

Welcome to ARMBIAN 5.73 stable Debian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch) 4.19.17-sunxi
Welcome to ARMBIAN 5.73 stable Debian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch) 4.19.18-mvebu64

But even after the update - IMO apt-get was telling we're going from 5.73 to 5.75 versions of the files the version number in the greeting is still 5.73

Welcome to ARMBIAN 5.73 stable Debian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch) 4.19.20-sunxi
Welcome to ARMBIAN 5.73 stable Debian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch) 4.19.20-mvebu64

I know that this might be a more cosmetic issue/question, but what criteria(s) drive(s) the version numbering?

22 minutes ago, odoll said:

I know that this might be a more cosmetic issue/question, but what criteria(s) drive(s) the version numbering?

As I have seen (after compiling with the armbian-build-system and installing .debs like kernel-image, dtb, u-boot and headers) the version seems for armbian only to change in the welcome-message if there is a new root-deb-package like (on my Neo2)

linux-stretch-root-dev-nanopineo2  5.73 arm64 Armbian tweaks for stretch on nanopineo2 (dev branch)

So check for a root package with

dpkg -l|grep root

A long time ago @Igor did wrote, that not every time the kernel-number changes also the armbian-version does change.

I also dont know, why thos root-package is created in /build/output/debs/stretch while the other ones are only in

/build/output/debs/

When will the root-package created? 

20 minutes ago, guidol said:

When will the root-package created? 

Happens mainly at major release cycles. If there is a bugfix kernel updated, only kernel gets updated ... For the future:

each package will have its own version and will be updated only if needed. Armbian versioning hasn't been determined but it has been well discussed here https://github.com/armbian/build/pull/1129