Pine H64 Model B

Humberg

31 minutes ago, Humberg said:

Hello community,

I got some brand new Pine H64 Model B this week.

Anyone interested in a free test device?

Markus

Yes please.
I'm waiting for anything to change on their website.
I made a video about it on FOSDEM, but I wasn't able to stay to get their demo board. I wouldn't get back home then. I want it as quickly as possible cause I make youtube videos reviewing SBC's.
I always take 2 weeks to test everything, so I'm always the last to make my video.
I'm from Belgium, I hope you can ship here. I hoped TL would have send one.
Greetings, NicoD

2 minutes ago, NicoD said:

Yes please.
I'm waiting for anything to change on their website.
I made a video about it on FOSDEM, but I wasn't able to stay to get their demo board. I wouldn't get back home then. I want it as quickly as possible cause I make youtube videos reviewing SBC's.
I always take 2 weeks to test everything, so I'm always the last to make my video.
I'm from Belgium, I hope you can ship here. I hoped TL would have send one.
Greetings, NicoD

It's new year holidays in china ....

The H64 mod. B is awaresome, you will love the SBC

Feel free to contact me - Belgium is no problem.

post@humberg.de

1 minute ago, Humberg said:

It's new year holidays in china ....

The H64 mod. B is awaresome, you will love the SBC

Feel free to contact me - Belgium is no problem.

post@humberg.de

I'm busy writing my mail :)

In outline the

Pine H64 Model B

is the same as an

orange pi one plus?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bootlin/allwinner-vpu-support-in-the-official-linux-kernel

Would bootlin be able to reverse engineer the vpu?

The gpu?

Free software is software you may use, share, modify and redistribute.

Does it support hardware accelerated encryption run on free software?

What devices on the computer require non free software?

46 minutes ago, renky said:

Pine H64 Model B

is the same as an

orange pi one plus?

AFAIK the same as Pine H6 just without PCI slot.

Would bootlin

They developed support for processing certain video codecs. Not sure if H6 chip got to the list since they raised just 30K EUR. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bootlin/allwinner-vpu-support-in-the-official-linux-kernel so this part will probably covered by someone else. Hard to say.

The gpu?

If you are asking about 3D support that uses MALI engine? That is something completely different case, covered by other people. Some basic OS support exists for some Allwinner chips, but it is still long way to go.

Does it support hardware accelerated encryption run on free software?

That is again covered by someone else.

4 hours ago, renky said:

Pine H64 Model B

is the same as an

orange pi one plus?

There are a few differences between both boards. It's like saying that an Audi car is the same as a BMW because they have the same engine(I know nothing about cars).

I've got the PineH64 model B here, but I don't have a complete overview of the specs yet.
What I can say is OPi has LPDDR3 ram up to 2GB, while the PINE H64 has got LPDDR4 up to 3GB.
The OPi has got room for a smd eMMC module, while the Pine has got a eMMC socket so you can remove it.
The OPi has got 4xUSB3.0 ports while the Pine64 only has one USB3 + 2 USB2 ports. I don't know if there is only on USB3 root hub or multiple. So could be that the 4xUSB3 on the OPi are just over the same hub what makes both OPi/Pine as fast.
The Opi also has got USB2.0. The Pine H64 is a lot more compact.

It is way too early to say if these boards will have good support for everything you want. You'd be better buy something that's know to have all that instead of one of these. It will take months, and it is to see how many people want to develop for it.
For now all I have is a very badly working Android image, and a Armbian Bionic that only works when I dissable all networking. But that's not very useful at all. It is a very nice board tho. 9/10 for looks :)
The OPi is also on the way, should have been here a while ago. But they didn't send before Chinese Newyear, so only this week it's departed. Great I've got the PineH64 now. (thank you @Humberg )

3 hours ago, balbes150 said:

Where can I see the detailed specifications and photos, this Board ?

Still no real specs.
TL told me that it in the beginning of Februari would be sold(2nd week). But still nothing has changed on the website.
Here a announcement with picture of the H64.
https://liliputing.com/2019/02/pine64s-single-board-computers-are-getting-2019-upgrades-prices-still-start-at-25.html
I also made a video about it and the other new products they'll bring out.

You can buy it here on Amazon.de.
https://www.amazon.de/Pine-H64-3GB-Board-Modell/dp/B07BYXB173/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

The board does look good, I like the model b a lot more than model a. I hope there's quickly going to be good software for it so I can test it well.

On 2/18/2019 at 11:40 AM, NicoD said:

The board does look good, I like the model b a lot more than model a. I hope there's quickly going to be good software for it so I can test it well.

I have one in the mail, was told the Armbian H64 image works except for Ethernet, I'm guessing there's a small hardware difference that needs reflected in DTS.  Or I'm completely wrong, until I can see, I cannot know.

I've received mine today ... Thanks to Humberg !

I've built an Armbian 4.20.y image this afternoon, it boot fine, but no eth0 or WiFi, but I got networking using USB-WiFi dongle.

For RTL8723, I've tried adding it in DT, but it still not appearing ... It is difficult to figure out without schematic, and schematic doesn't seems to be public yet ...

I've posted on forum.pine64.org asking for that schematic, but no answer yet ...

EDIT : Forgot to mention, "reboot" is working fine on this H6 board, I don't experience freezing found with other H6s ...

4 hours ago, martinayotte said:

I've built an Armbian 4.20.y image this afternoon, it boot fine

Hehe,  good to know, mine failed to patch the ATF and won't boot, I'm doing some spring cleaning on my build folders...  Mine came today as well, eager to try it out.

looking at the 4.18 image it is showing a failure to reset the PHY.

If any help is needed in testing, or getting the OS on this board up and running i would be glad to help.

been interested in learning more about the internals of Armbian and its build structure and just received one of these boards to tinker with, happy to lend a hand.

3 minutes ago, Stephen_m64 said:

been interested in learning more about the internals of Armbian and its build structure and just received one of these boards to tinker with

Welcome!  If you want to boot it up to play, the easiest thing at the moment is to start a Pine H64 image on it.  Mind you, Ethernet doesn't work, but it will start up.  Browse around the Github, it's not incredibly complex (which is why I'm here now, I figured I'd give it a shot with the Tinker Board a while back)

Just now, TonyMac32 said:

Welcome!  If you want to boot it up to play, the easiest thing at the moment is to start a Pine H64 image on it.  Mind you, Ethernet doesn't work, but it will start up.  Browse around the Github, it's not incredibly complex (which is why I'm here now, I figured I'd give it a shot with the Tinker Board a while back)

Yeah, Actually i tested the latest Stretch H64 image and it works sans Ethernet as expected but is hit and miss on boot with it crashing on boot about ~ 50-70% of the time. 

Started reading the docs and working through building a new image using vagrant, time permitting.

They developed support for processing certain ...

It it good to know who is trying to provide free software for this hardware.

But my question about bootlin was more the lines of, can you tell if enough

money was paid to bootlin, then bootlin has the skills to deliver

free software for every device on the soc computer?

Companies like orange pi

develope hardware. Put it on sale and then gamble on that people will

provide the software?

It appears new hardware turns up every year. Do computers like those from orange pi

reach a level of full software support?

Would it not be more efficient if one computer got identified as the best on price

and performance and then software development would get focused on

that computer? Such that one computer would become the computer to buy. Isn't

that what raspberry pi did?

To me it appears that all these armbian computers results in divided efforts. And

no armbian computer reaches great software support?

Of course even if it got agreed upon which computer to focus on regarding providing

software, after some time another computer should be agreed on.

I notice a couple of inefficient circumstances about soc computers looking like

the raspberry pi. Unlike atx their ports are not located at the same spots.

Unlike x86 one image is not working on all of them.

https://libre.computer/

Isn't libre computer introducing standard arm images

like standard isos for x86?

56 minutes ago, renky said:

Put it on sale and then gamble on that people will

provide the software?

Indeed. That's how Orange Pi does it. Not all of them are so bad. FriendlyElec delivers good software, Odroid does, Radxa with the RockPi4B also. Banana Pi, Orange Pi and Pine64 are lacking here. Orange pi is sold a lot, they should care more.

59 minutes ago, renky said:

It appears new hardware turns up every year. Do computers like those from orange pi

reach a level of full software support?

Yes, some do. But it takes a while.

1 hour ago, renky said:

Would it not be more efficient if one computer got identified as the best on price

and performance and then software development would get focused on

that computer? Such that one computer would become the computer to buy. Isn't

that what raspberry pi did?

Are you going to tell all the makers to stop making boards so just one can be sold? It's a free market.
And there is no best board. For every task there's another board that fits the job more. I use a lot of sbc's for a lot of different tasks. If it needs to be power efficient I use the Raspberry Pi 2B, portable en not overheating thats the Odroid C2. Fast for multicore processing tasks I choose the NanoPi T3+. For desktop use and gaming I use the NanoPi M4/Rock Pi 4B.

So we do need different designs for different tasks. And without competition they would do a lawsy job. Raspberry Pi hasn't got competition, and they have the worst boards on the market.... I'm very glad there are others.

1 hour ago, renky said:

To me it appears that all these armbian computers results in divided efforts. And

no armbian computer reaches great software support?

Yes it is a lot of work for a lot of people. But most of the boards run very well with Armbian. The Orange Pi 3 and PineH64 are new boards. And it will take time before they reach maturaty. I just wait patiently and follow how progress is going. And there's fun in that too.

So in my opinion Armbian gives purpose to many boards that without Armbian would be as good as useless. The SoC market is growing, a lot more devices will come out with ARM SoC's. SBC's have been a way for development to happen so it can further evolve into more meanstream products.
But the work will never be finished.

Are you going to tell all the makers to stop making boards so just one can be sold?

I was talking about how to organize the software development more efficient such that

instead of having a number of partly supported computers, we have one or a few which

are fully supported. I would want it to be able to run on free software which is software you

can use, share, modify and redistribute. Thereby giving people a viable free software

alternative to a raspberry pi.

And there is no best board.

It should be possible to agree on a computer. It should be powerful enough to act as a notebook. I do not think free software people are able to organize such an enterprise. But that is free software people failing.

most of the boards run very well with Armbian .

I got an orange pi one. I tested armbian stretch on it. Playing hd videos stutters. Browsing internet is close

to not working. On this forum I was told it is due to lack of software support.

Would the orange pi one not have stood stronger against the raspberry pi had the

software about the orange pi one been organized such that

it got full free software support, including if necessary a crowd funding of reverse

engineering some pieces of software?

Hi,

I got a board too (3G) and I tested available images:

- armbian 5.59 - kernel 4.18 rc7: I was able to boot after several tries, but it froze quickly after login (hdmi works) are any action

- armbian next - kernel 4.19.y: blocked after uboot with message launching kernel

- armbian dev - kernel 4.20.y: see uboot messages but after launching kernel no hdmi signal and no ethernet activity, so maybe the board boots well but without hdmi.

I don't know where the uart pins are, so can't go further this evening. Does somebody know that?

Thanks again to Humberg for the board.

15 minutes ago, jeanrhum said:

I don't know where the uart pins are, so can't go further this evening. Does somebody know that?

There is a 2x3 pind header nearby the HDMI, the 3 pins near the border are GND/TX/RX as shown in the schematic provided above by Humberg.

BTW, since I'm working on switching Armbian Sunxi-DEV to 5.0.y, I can let you know that HDMI is working there ...