USB connected monitor with NanoPi M4

Jeffer

4 hours ago, Nao said:

Have anyone tried to use USB connected monitor with NanoPi M4?

I do not think this is possible with the M4. With the T4 this should be possible over the USB-C.
The M4 it's USB-C is over USB2. It's there mostly to power the board.

12 hours ago, NicoD said:

I do not think this is possible with the M4. With the T4 this should be possible over the USB-C.
The M4 it's USB-C is over USB2. It's there mostly to power the board.

yes, the USB-C port on NanoPi M4 is for the power supply

But the M4 has 4 other USB3.0 ports which are used for data transfer and I guess USB-C type connection can be made with a USB-C to USB-A adapter.

How do you think about this?

7 hours ago, Nao said:

yes, the USB-C port on NanoPi M4 is for the power supply

But the M4 has 4 other USB3.0 ports which are used for data transfer and I guess USB-C type connection can be made with a USB-C to USB-A adapter.

How do you think about this?

If screen is fine with 5V as Power source - you will be fine in terms of power. But you will need to look does Ubuntu have drivers to send video signal over USB (short answer - most likely no, since GPU is not connected to USB as far as i remember and you will get heavy lags on screen that will go thought USB since it will render itself via CPU, which is not great for this job at all)

Video output NanoPC T4 :
HDMI: HDMI 2.0a, supports 4K@60Hz,HDCP 1.4/2.2

DP on Type-C: DisplayPort 1.2 Alt Mode on USB Type-C

LCD Interface: one eDP 1.3(4-Lane,10.8Gbps), one or two 4-Lane MIPI-DSI

Video output NanoPi M4 :

HDMI: HDMI 2.0a, supports 4K@60Hz,HDCP 1.4/2.2

one 4-Lane MIPI-DSI

No DP... You can do dual screen with MIPI.

18 minutes ago, Igor said:

I plugged this one https://amzn.to/2GtHo9g but nothing happened. I didn't proceed investigating further yet.

They've enabled it in Android a while ago. I think I red somewhere it was also enabled with FriendlyDesktop, but can't find it anymore.

"18.2 2018-11-12

Android 8.1 update is as follows:

1) Add support for USB-C display"

On 2/16/2019 at 11:37 PM, Dante4 said:

If screen is fine with 5V as Power source - you will be fine in terms of power. But you will need to look does Ubuntu have drivers to send video signal over USB (short answer - most likely no, since GPU is not connected to USB as far as i remember and you will get heavy lags on screen that will go thought USB since it will render itself via CPU, which is not great for this job at all)

Though I've not checked if it can work with my Ubuntu machine, I've found a device driver for usb monitor and some articles where people actually use it under Ubuntu environment.

I don't care about the lags because of the lack of the GPU, this is so important for me since I have to remove a HDMI port for some reasons haha

29 minutes ago, Nao said:

since I have to remove a HDMI port

May I know what reason? Seems a bit drastic to do. Are you sure you need to do this>

31 minutes ago, Nao said:

and thus have to find other way to use a monitor  

You do realize you can use MIPI-DSI for a monitor? 

On 2/18/2019 at 3:40 AM, NicoD said:

May I know what reason? Seems a bit drastic to do. Are you sure you need to do this>

Yes, I need to do this. I'm going to install NanoPi M4 on the drone and thus the available space is so limited

On 2/18/2019 at 3:40 AM, NicoD said:

You do realize you can use MIPI-DSI for a monitor?

I didn't consider this MIPI-DSI.

I googled MIPI-DSI monitor but only found MIPI-DSI monitor for raspberry pi.

Does this work with Nano Pi? ( I think this is fine)

11 minutes ago, Nao said:

sorry, what do you mean by being ready to fly?

Are you talking about radiation-resistant?

No, in general: "RK3399 board support is WIP, "for testing only" and problems are expected! If you want to use those boards for some real cases, don't."

On 2/18/2019 at 8:43 PM, Igor said:

No, in general: "RK3399 board support is WIP, "for testing only" and problems are expected! If you want to use those boards for some real cases, don't."

I understand, I think it is fine since the operation duration is expected to be less than a few mins

And so far no problems have been found so, yeah hopefully it's okay

1 hour ago, Nao said:

I didn't consider this MIPI-DSI.

I googled MIPI-DSI monitor but only found MIPI-DSI monitor for raspberry pi.

Does this work with Nano Pi? ( I think this is fine)

You can't use standard rpi displays. FriendlyElec sells displays for their boards. Read the wiki to know which is right for you.

1 hour ago, Nao said:

Yes, I need to do this. I'm going to install NanoPi M4 on the flying vehicle and thus the available space is so limited that some connectors have to be removed.

Why the nanopi m4? There are a lot more compact boards with mini hdmi that are 1/10th the size and weight of the NanoPi M4. FriendlyElec has got the NEO's are Fire's. All compact and very powerful.
There's for example the Banana Pi M2 Zero. The same size as a raspberry pi zero, but with 4-cores. Maybe you are not choosing the right tool for the job. Is is for entertainment? Or do you want it to control things or so?
The RK3399 needs a big heatsink to be able to have a good performance, so that add's a lot of weight. Otherwise you can run it underclocked a lot so it doesn't throttle.

Just now, Nao said:

And so far no problems have been found so, yeah hopefully it's okay

I am just informing you that there are problems hidden deep inside. We have encounter some and some are ready to be found in a process when kernel gets matured. If I would sit in the plane where captain would say: "Welcome on board. This plane is running RK3399 ... I would immediately leave that plane" :) In a few months from now, situation will be changed ... if there will be enough interest to have this kernel pitch perfect.

On 2/18/2019 at 8:53 PM, Igor said:

I am just informing you that there are problems hidden deep inside. We have encounter some and some are ready to be found in a process when kernel gets matured. If I would sit in the plane where captain would say: "Welcome on board. This plane is running RK3399 ... I would immediately leave that plane" :) In a few months from now, situation will be changed ... if there will be enough interest to have this kernel pitch perfect.

Thank you for informing me that fact.

you know, the money for me is limited as well so we chose this chip.

Of course we understand it can fail during the flight.

It is going to be like "Welcome on board. You can enjoy playing some games running on RK3399 during our flight" haha 

1 hour ago, NicoD said:

Why the nanopi m4? There are a lot more compact boards with mini hdmi that are 1/10th the size and weight of the NanoPi M4. FriendlyElec has got the NEO's are Fire's. All compact and very powerful.
There's for example the Banana Pi M2 Zero. The same size as a raspberry pi zero, but with 4-cores. Maybe you are not choosing the right tool for the job. Is is for entertainment? Or do you want it to control things or so?
The RK3399 needs a big heatsink to be able to have a good performance, so that add's a lot of weight. Otherwise you can run it underclocked a lot so it doesn't throttle.

I need USB3.0 connections to control a USB camera.

This need decreases the number of choices and I've tried with some boards to check with which one the camera can work the most effectively.

On 2/16/2019 at 11:39 PM, Igor said:

I plugged this one https://amzn.to/2GtHo9g but nothing happened. I didn't proceed investigating further yet.

This stuff is implemented only in legacy kernel. Oleksii tried to implement DP support at least for NanoPC-T4, but didn't succeed so far (I tested this code on NanoPC-T4 with Dell DA300, Belkin F4U093, Dell WD15 docks, with several different cables).