NanoPi M4 /w TFT

Exie

Hi Folks,

I have a NanoPiM4 and loaded Ambian 5.75 onto an SD card, it boots great (Thanks Armbian!).

How I've added the FriendlyElec 2.8 TFT module (240x320) and want to configure it.

So I used the handy `armbian-config` to pick up the kernel headers and sources, and went to go an add fbtft and select the ST7789V driver.

Only when I went to run `make menuconfig` I got:

root@nanopim4:/usr/src/linux-source-4.4.174-rk3399# make menuconfig
scripts/kconfig/mconf  Kconfig
net/Kconfig:83: can't open file "net/wireguard/Kconfig"
scripts/kconfig/Makefile:28: recipe for target 'menuconfig' failed

I've updated the armbian monitor stuff here:

http://ix.io/1B9n

Can anyone give me some tips to resolve this ?

At worst I'll manually edit the config file and try building.

Thanks Igor,

I dont think that patch is going to work, it looks like that branch is a fair way ahead of the 4.4.174 image I started with.

Building from scratch is a bit daunting, but I have Virtualbox already, so have kicked it off, I used the Ubuntu 18.04 mini image, pulled the repo and its running the compile now.

It's not clear how I will bake a full image and write it back to an SD card yet, I presume I'll need `dd` or something, but I'll see how I go.

I just want to add a big thankyou for @Igor

Building the kerneral in a Virtualbox machine was WAY easier than I imagined.

It took nearly an hour to build on my laptop, but that compile.sh script did everything! It's really nice how it ties everything together and gave me the choice of making a full image or just a kernel or whatever and the ability to customise the image with whatever kernel modules I wanted.

It was really easy and I've got my NanoPi booting with everything I asked for now, its working like a gem!

Obviously a heap of work went into all the scripting for that, so thanks to everyone who contributed to make it easy for noobs like me. :)

Hi @Exie trying to get the same friendly arm tft to work. What driver did you select? Did you have to install any additional software? Burnt about 2 weeks on this so far.. I have tried all sorts of kernel/os/driver combinations. 

Any tips?

I did try to build a custom kernel but couldn't find any reference to a tft/spi/ST7789V driver.

hmmm  this feels like a long time ago. If you mean the screen in the picture here, I chickened out and set it up on a Raspberry Pi 4 :(

I guess at least I know its working. I still have a NanoPiM4 here somewhere. Happy to try again and see if I can it running in Armbian. At least I have a known-good working distro I can refer to even if it is Rasperian.

IMG_0272.JPG

Yeah, that's the one.

Hmm it has been a worthy adversary I see. I made a seperate thread with some more details but no replies yet. 

Any assistance would be appreciated! It's  interesting we seem to be the only two people on the internet trying to get this working and we are both from the Melbourne area! I'll buy you a coffee next time I'm in town.