RK3328 Kernel

Peba

Update:   kernel 5.6.0  boots  on my V2.  I just installed latest ayufan ubu focal unstable image and its been ok for a day now. Time will tell if this becomes my main image vs arch/manjaro/armbian.      I'll try armbian again when a stable release is out with this kernel.

Hey suber.   I just installed LXDE 10 on mine and it's a blast....no big issues really surprised at how it runs cool and smooth.  Uses about half of my 1 GB ram and some swap space with Ffox hexchat lxterm open.    I'll try KDE Plasma soon.  Thing about rock64 boards is there's 3 versions and I had to try a few distros until I came back to ayufan after he finally caught up on his images.  He must know this board well I assume.    Board sat for a month here. I was too frustrated with it.  So try arch manjaro armbian too.

IMO the various devs focus on different uboot / kernel / userspace versions and that introduces issues.  It's an arm thing due to building for chip families vs individual boards/versions.  Try not to give up too fast on it. It's not a great or popular board for obvious reasons  (cheap) but once it works it's  a relief.  I would use an sdcard first then if thats ok, an emmc. 

A big "thank you" to the Armbian team for the rockchip kernel update to Linux 5.4. I upgraded from the legacy kernel to the current one last night without a single issue. Ethernet now works like a charm and boot time is reduced, though I haven't properly measured it.

Just a question: the standby LED (red one) now blinks twice every second. What does it mean?

38 minutes ago, Gengan said:

A big "thank you" to the Armbian team for the rockchip kernel update to Linux 5.4. I upgraded from the legacy kernel to the current one last night without a single issue. Ethernet now works like a charm and boot time is reduced, though I haven't properly measured it.

Just a question: the standby LED (red one) now blinks twice every second. What does it mean?

Probably a "heartbeat". Do something like "du -a /sys |grep led|grep red|grep trigger" to find the trigger file. You can feed it with "on", "off" if you like to have it constant.

As for myself I like having it on heartbeat on my SBCs since it indicates if they are under load (beat will become faster) or if the kernel freezes (heartbeat stops).

4 hours ago, Werner said:

As for myself I like having it on heartbeat on my SBCs since it indicates if they are under load (beat will become faster) or if the kernel freezes (heartbeat stops).

I also like to reference the heartbeat but sometimes I've thought to have it code out a load level in morse ;]

1 hour ago, Technicavolous said:

Does this update vary the heartbeat speed with load?

Um I don't quite understand what you are asking for?

The higher the load the faster the heartbeat will become.

• Igor unpinned this topic