Quick review of Banana Pi M2+

31 minutes ago, tkaiser said:

and our fex file once it's confirmed the board really comes up with 1.3V.

I was searching for my pictures in the forum where I did measure it, but I didn't find it quickly so I gave up. I was looking for those because I also had 1,3V in mind.

1,4V yours must be a really hot piece :wacko:

On 7/12/2018 at 3:13 PM, chwe said:

Better have a board which is a bit to warm than the support nightmare when those boards start to crash due to 'undervoltage' of the cpu.

It's the other way around, if the board would come up with 1.1V it would crash. And our modified settings would ruin performance and keep the board 'cold'.

https://irclog.whitequark.org/linux-sunxi/2018-07-13#22574021; so I revert the change. After editing this mini post 8 times BPi folks even mention that software could use PL0 to distinguish between old and new variant. But honestly I don't care...

18 minutes ago, tkaiser said:

After editing this mini post 8 times BPi folks even mention that software could use PL0 to distinguish between old and new variant. But honestly I don't care...

So, with a proper patch it should be possible to distinguish between both board revisions and write a DT for each. I guess it 'should' be possible to do this with a DTBO (knowing that there are some parts not solved yet). But when our defaults are working for both revisions (probably with no usage of the GPIO CPU voltage regulation), I think we're on the 'good side'. Then it's up to the owners and/or boardmaker to deliver a sane patch which benefits from the new voltage regulation. When nobody of them cares, well I don't see much of a problem. I did this once for the BPI-M2-Zero cause I own the board. I don't write such patches when I don't have both revisions to test or know someone who has the other one (I need at least one, cause my DT-Fu is limited... :P).

4 hours ago, chwe said:

with a proper patch it should be possible to distinguish between both board revisions

I don't think we need to distinguish any more. With settings for the v1.2 revision PL01 will be toggled on v1.1 boards but nothing will happen (given PL01 is not connected to anything important there -- maybe someone wants to look up schematics to have a look -- I'm just kidding of course :P)

@Tido  : can you try the following with a legacy image on your board (I gave away almost all Allwinner boards in the meantime due to lack of interest):

wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/armbian/build/cd9eb6b6da2c95a2ab750a9acd07a55a84d56623/config/fex/bananapim2plus.fex
mv /boot/script.bin /boot/script.bin.bak
fex2bin bananapim2plus.fex /boot/script.bin
reboot

Then output from armbianmonitor -u after the reboot would be needed. In case no ARISC errors show up everything is fine and after adoption of paths (wrong as usual) this patch could be added to Armbian's build system by whoever feels interested.

2 hours ago, tkaiser said:

can you try the following

Make sure you really chose a person on the @ I fixed it I have not received a notification.

I still have my bloody old, camera connector soldered M2+. So you want me to burn a Armbian_5.38_Bananapim2plus_Ubuntu_xenial_default_3.4.113_desktop.7z on SDcard and replace the two files you mentioned. I cannot do it tonight, but tomorrow should be feasable

Edit: so the regulator on OPi PC - was just a lucky strike

Edited by Tido
OPi

@guidol, today arrived my Transcend RDF5 (unfortunately not available in white here). Veryfing the image is lovely 50MB/sec. I think my old USB2.0 is way slower, I have to check that.

I did an initial boot without changes to see if the image it works...

Warning: a reboot is needed to finish resizing the filesystem. Please reboot the system as soon as possible

root@bananapim2plus:~# h3disp -m 1280x1024 -d
Now trying to patch script.bin with your settings. Successfully finished. Please reboot for changes to take effect

reboot ...  brilliant, it booted to the desktop with 1280x1024 @60Hz. Resizing completed.

16 hours ago, tkaiser said:

can you try the following with a legacy image

I did all that. Unfortunately, the Display stays now black, I can only access it via SSH.

armbianmonitor -u   http://ix.io/1h7i

h3disp -m 1280x1024 -d ... reboot... et voila desktop is up and running. Well done Sir :thumbup:

43 minutes ago, Tido said:

@guidol, today arrived my Transcend RDF5 (unfortunately not available in white here). Veryfing the image is lovely 50MB/sec.

Great to hear ;) I did buy my 2 white RDF5 years ago when they were new at the market.

Did you already update the firmware for the RDF5?

50 minutes ago, Tido said:

I did all that

Thanks for the report (you need to call h3disp prior to reboot if you replace script.bin). So we can use a single fex file and I hope the DT gets fixed upstream (just reported it in linux-sunxi IRC). Now have fun with off-topic babbling about card readers here in a device review thread (really unbelievable)...

On 7/14/2018 at 12:09 PM, guidol said:

Did you already update the firmware for the RDF5?

Hallo Guido,  I just burned for the tinker board K4.14 and now K4.4, it works like a charm :wub:  it wrote that it writes with up to 34MB/second on the Samsung EVO Plus 32, can you ask for more?

As my device is 'young' compared to yours I already have the latest firmware on it.  Vielen Dank für den Tipp, Tido