Armbian support for hardware assisted image signal processing

Wowbagger

Working on an embedded SBC home automation application with a very small form factor. Size and reliability is at a premium. Just want to have a smart device at the door that will help notify and find me when someone presses the doorbell button, or detects motion at the entrance or curbside mailbox. Two way audio and outbound alerts are progressing nicely but complexity increases significantly when integrating video into the solution.

For example, two widely used video trans-coding applications, ffmpeg and gstreamer, may or may not have hardware assisted image signal processing on the SBC. Is any form of image signal processing within scope when a board is supported by Armbian? How is hardware assisted image signal processing qualified within Armbian? I'm trying to set my expectations.

BTW. I had the opportunity to follow the Armbian cross-compile recipe and build environment last weekend. I was blown away with how seamless and truly useful the Armbian suite made the entire effort. Thank you to the entire team.

Managed to find the following statements from a blog called "Stupid Projects". LOL. I am mostly interested in Allwinner SoCs so I guess this tells me what I need to know.

February 5, 2019 at 6:52 pm

The next updates from Armbian kernel will be the one that supports the Cedrus drivers where at least the video encoding will be working.

TL;DR Hardware assisted image signal processing involves Codec support, SoC Support, and finally Application Support. Hobby projects that involve transcoding are likely to sink a lot of time.

Reports on the advancement of the development of Sunxi-Cedrus.

Allwinner VPU support in mainline Linux November status update.

More OpenGL binaries for the Mali support on Allwinner platforms with mainline Linux.

Adding armbian supported boards to meta-sunxi Yocto (updated).