no HDMI with kernel 4.19

jeekajoo

Question

Hi,

Since I upgraded my kernel to version 4.19 (`linux-image-next-cubox=5.73` when I tried I think) on my cubox-i4 pro, I lost HDMI :

root@cubox:~# aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: SPDIF [Integrated SPDIF], device 0: S/PDIF PCM snd-soc-dummy-dai-0 []
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

Anyone experiencing this too ? Downgrading to `linux-image-next-cubox=5.60` solved it.

apt install linux-image-next-cubox=5.60
reboot
aplay -l
card 1: DWHDMI [DW-HDMI], device 0: DW HDMI [dw-hdmi-ahb-audio]

Thanks

Edited by jeekajoo

5 answers to this question

Yes, I donloaded the desktop image and that worked fine over hdmi after upgrade and update turned everything of and when turned on again a brief flash of startup and then black. no signal. Xrdp works though and ssh too.

Welcome to ARMBIAN 5.75 stable Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS 4.19.20-cubox

olivier@cubox:~$ aplay -l

olivier@cubox:~$

update:

After flashing my sd card with the stretch image my hdmi is still not working, i see a flash of boot text and then the signal is lost. Luckily i dont need hdmi.

I also lost hdmi... After some searches I decided to try: "sudo insmod /lib/modules/4.19.20-cubox/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/imx/imxdrm.ko" (If I understand correctly, this insert a kernel module that I did see on the previous kernel, but not on this one with lsmod). I instantly got output on my monitor.

I've also tried adding this module (imxdrm) to /etc/modules. This also helps, although you only get a picture on your monitor when the login is reached... so you don't see startup-messages.

Now lets hope that:

1. this also works for you, and

2. someone who is knowledgeable reads this and knows an easy fix (and shares it :) ).

Thanks for the pointers regarding rolling back to 5.60, I was able to get the HDMI output back.

I also attempted to use the steps provided by @InterAct for the newer kernel.  These steps did not work for me.  

I noticed in 5.60 that both imxdrm and dw_hdmi_imx were loaded.  Executing insmod on imxdrm.ko seems to work.  However, if I attempt to execute insmod using the dw_hdmi-imx.ko file it fails with the following error:

insmod: ERROR: could not insert module dw_hdmi-imx.ko: Unknown symbol in module

Looking at the output from dmesg I see:

dw_hdmi_imx: Unknown symbol dw_hdmi_bind (err -2)
    dw_hdmi_imx: Unknown symbol dw_hdmi_unbind (err -2)

I'm guessing this is the cause of the issue.  Anyone else seeing the same or know how to correct the problem?

Just updated to 5.85 with 4.19-41-cubox kernel. I don't see the unknown symbol messages. I do lose the hdmi output though. If I add 'imxdrm' to 'etc/modules', my monitor turns on just like before (after a reboot).

6 hours ago, InterAct said:

Just updated to 5.85 with 4.19-41-cubox kernel. I don't see the unknown symbol messages. I do lose the hdmi output though. If I add 'imxdrm' to 'etc/modules', my monitor turns on just like before (after a reboot).

I went back to the 4.19-41-cubox kernel, instead of attempting insmod I added 'imxdrm' to '/etc/modules' and it works for me.   thanks