Orange Pi 4G-IOT

Jack953

The Orange Pi 4G-IOT page suggest that board uses a 4g module, since in the pic its written "4g module" and an arrow point to a chip.

But it's SoC MT6737 has an integrated cellular modem ! :blink: So does it uses a module or the integrated modem ?

All the chips are covered with a metal shield, so I can't tell.

On 2/20/2019 at 9:28 PM, Jack953 said:

The Orange Pi 4G-IOT page suggest that board uses a 4g module, since in the pic its written "4g module" and an arrow point to a chip.

But it's SoC MT6737 has an integrated cellular modem ! :blink: So does it uses a module or the integrated modem ?

The Pi 4g-IOT - the cellular modem is in the MT6737 directly, along with WiFi/BT/FM/GPS, the device under the 4G-IOT shield is the RF front end...

https://www.mediatek.com/products/smartphones/mt6737

I have one of these boards (won it on one of the Forum Raffles here on Armbian forums) - I haven't had a chance to tinker around with it, as I've been busy with other projects...

Orange Pi does have an Oreo (Android 8.1) image available - and supposedly an Ubuntu 18.04 as well on their download page...

http://www.orangepi.org/downloadresources/

2058074285_pi4G-IOT_en.thumb.jpg.257012a040082d2c6f1cd6865106bc32.jpg

19 hours ago, sfx2000 said:

The Pi 4g-IOT...

Thanks sfx.

Yes there is a ubuntu image, but also a guide to manually install ubuntu.

Someone better than me could understand what kernel it uses :rolleyes: and I wonder if that guide works with debian too...

Another question: They say there are not video drivers, cant these be used ?

developer.arm.com/products/software/mali-drivers/midgard-kernel

Are the drivers soc-specific ?

Update:

Nevermind, i just read:

these components are not a complete driver stack. To build a functional OpenGL ES you need access to the full source code of the Mali GPU DDK, which is provided under the standard Arm commercial licence

23 hours ago, Jack953 said:

Thanks sfx.

Yes there is a ubuntu image, but also a guide to manually install ubuntu.

Someone better than me could understand what kernel it uses :rolleyes: and I wonder if that guide works with debian too...

Like I mentioned - busy with other projects...

The MT chip - MediaTek is more focused on Android for it along with the community, as it's a common low-end mobile chipset, and a fairly complex one at that... odds are that it'll be hard to support given the driver situation for Linux outside of Android, esp. given the number of OEM's that are doing SBC's around that chipset. Even with Android - I've heard of significant issues with HDMI output on that chip, as again, it was more focused towards handset screens, and not STB's where HDMI would be the primary video out.

@Jack953 I merged your three posts into one.  @sfx2000 plainly stated to not knowing, no one else was engaging with you, please refrain from "frustration-bumping" threads.  I am glad you were able to find the info.  Unfortunately, unless someone out there picks up these boards and works to add them to Armbian, I don't expect you'll see it appear in our image listings.

I hope you guys will support the Orange Pi 4G-IOT.
It would be the (incredibly)first device/board with an integrated cellular that support linux. And could lead to linux support for many smartphones and tablets, thing that seems forbidden today...
Mediatek gives no linux support, following the unwritten rule "or cellular modem or linux".
Orange pi guys are working on it but at the moment there is only ubuntu with android kernel (that is no good).
Thanks.

On 2/25/2019 at 8:49 PM, TonyMac32 said:

@Jack953 I merged your three posts into one.  @sfx2000 plainly stated to not knowing, no one else was engaging with you, please refrain from "frustration-bumping" threads.  I am glad you were able to find the info.  Unfortunately, unless someone out there picks up these boards and works to add them to Armbian, I don't expect you'll see it appear in our image listings.

I agree - it's a narrowly focused segment on this board - it's really down to the folks at OrangePI to get something useful as a BSP, and even then, it's going to be very hard to support the integrated WAN/WLAN/BT/GPS/FM capabilities on that device without direct support from MediaTek upstream.

It's an interesting board, but perhaps too interesting only to a few.

That's why it's number 9xxx on my top 10 list of things to get done.

10 minutes ago, sfx2000 said:

It's an interesting board, but perhaps too interesting only to a few.

As I put in another topic, I can use a $20 4G modem all day with Armbian and any board with a recent kernel.  Integrated is nice, but...

2 minutes ago, TonyMac32 said:

As I put in another topic, I can use a $20 4G modem all day with Armbian and any board with a recent kernel.  Integrated is nice, but...

I can see where folks don't want to use COTS USB modems, as they're mostly focused on the Windows WAN access...

There's many levels of suck there, even with IOT focused applications

On 3/3/2019 at 1:10 AM, sfx2000 said:

it's a narrowly focused segment on this board

No it is not. And it could be used in a device, not jus as bsp.

On 3/3/2019 at 1:10 AM, sfx2000 said:

That's why it's number 9xxx on my top 10 list of things to get done

It should be your first thing to get done. And linus torvalds first thing to do.

On 3/3/2019 at 1:23 AM, TonyMac32 said:

As I put in another topic, I can use a $20 4G modem all day with Armbian and any board with a recent kernel

Modules problems:

- size (for a portable device)

- power efficency (for a portable device)

- privacy if they run android internally

- privacy if they are made by a chinese brand

Usb modem problems:

- all of above

- fixed country

- fixed carrier

- no voice call and sms

A modem like intel ones would be cool

5 hours ago, Jack953 said:

It should be your first thing to get done. And linus torvalds first thing to do.

:lol::lol::lol::rolleyes:

5 hours ago, Jack953 said:

- fixed country

- fixed carrier

- no voice call and sms

You are wrong on all three of these points over a large variety of modems.  The comment I quoted first though, well, that disqualified you from wasting any more of my time.

On 3/7/2019 at 11:36 PM, Jack953 said:

I mean that g0°gle (and appI€)(and other companies) monopolio on smartphones and other devices, by, more or less legally, spying the world 24/7, is pretty much dangerours.

So a smartphone that doesnt spy us like animals, should be a priority.

On 3/7/2019 at 2:36 PM, Jack953 said:

Not hardly - I'm focused right now on a non-ARM target (MIPS24kc) bringing it up for an IOT application with a specific WWAN modem. My findings there are likely going to be beneficial for the AllWinnner H3 community there perhaps, as the H3 Neo is similar in scope to little MIPS board...

This board has little interest for me - the vendor has pushed out some updated code for Android and Linux, but I think you're likely on your own, considering the limited audience.

On 3/27/2019 at 12:20 AM, Jack953 said:

That is always going to be a problem - and many times unintentional - but device drivers to have privileged access to the host kernel, so when things like that pop up, there's a fair amount of concern.

Huawei is in the cross-hairs right now because of politics across many lanes - I'd rather stay out of that discussion, as there's a fair amount of opinion being spread about.