EOS PcDuino3Nano Observations and Questions

Rance

Hi folks, I'm new to the Armbian project.   I have an old board (pcduino3nano) that I never managed to get working because I found the built in OS to be lacking and the general linksprite environment poor as compared to that of the RaspberryPi.  So I put the pcduino away for awhile and never really got anywhere with it, but recently decided to give it a go again.

I found two projects that claim to "officially" support this board (either current or past).  Armbian and Fedora for Arm.

Because Armbian has EOSd the pcduino family of boards I started with the Fedora project and found that it worked but only as a server/cli the GUI no matter which desktop environment I chose (XFCE vs OpenBox, etc) it was just too much for the board.

Recently I used the build script via docker to build a "next" image for pcduino3nano just to try.  Well, to say the least I am very impressed.  so far everything just works, and as I write this building a legacy image to see if I can get the NAND bits working.

I'd like to ask about the EOS decision itself.  Why do you unsupport a board it if has the same chipset as another board that is supported.? It seems to be the Fedora model to continue support for boards once they are supported and the reason I went with them first.

When it all reality, the current abandoned state of pcduino support is better with Armbian than with the current Fedora 29 for arm on my nano.  I think Armbian will help me get my project done, but I am concerned about what the EOS status really means.  Quite frankly I didn't expect the board to work as well as it is, and that leads me to wonder why it isn't supported as it seems to work perfectly (so far).

Can you guys/gals with historical knowledge of the Armbian project help me understand why so many boards that were supported, aren't any longer, what that means for purchasing new boards in the future with a commitment to support Armbian?

I tried out the BananaPi-Pro image

Armbian_19.11.3_Bananapipro_buster_current_5.3.9_desktop.img

on the

pcDuino3-nano

and network, update and so on is working fine.

I/Os I havn't tested.