Logon Banner - when does it get updated ? (if at all)

dispo

I have various boards running Armbian and all have the very useful banner on login

_   _                   ____  _   _   _              ____
| \ | | __ _ _ __   ___ |  _ \(_) | \ | | ___  ___   |___ \
|  \| |/ _` | '_ \ / _ \| |_) | | |  \| |/ _ \/ _ \    __) |
| |\  | (_| | | | | (_) |  __/| | | |\  |  __/ (_) |  / __/
|_| \_|\__,_|_| |_|\___/|_|   |_| |_| \_|\___|\___/  |_____|

Welcome to ARMBIAN 5.73 stable Debian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch) 4.19.20-sunxi64

However

uname -a
Linux npi-neo2 4.19.20-sunxi64 #5.75 SMP Fri Feb 8 10:29:25 CET 2019 aarch64 GNU/Linux

A minor thing but it confused me slightly as I did a firmware upgrade but the banner did not change. I was thinking it was dynamically created but in fact it appears to be a static text file.

Should the Armbian version numbers get updated when the firmware is upgraded or is it expected to be a manual process ?

So these are the files - but should they be automatically updated when the firmware is updated ? (as they are both now out of date).

This is a minor thing, I just spotted the difference after upgrading firmware and thought that it hadn't worked - then realised it was just the banner.

I can manually edit the file (if I can be bothered) but it felt like the version info in the banner was useful info when connecting to a box.

Are these files used for anything meaningful by the system - such as setting system variable / hardware dependencies or are they just details from the initial install ?

Should this file be updated during a reboot ? (such as after a firmware update requiring one).

Looking at the files the only line that would actually change is the version number, everything else is hardware.

$ more /etc/armbian-release
# PLEASE DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE
BOARD=nanopineo2
BOARD_NAME="NanoPi Neo 2"
BOARDFAMILY=sun50iw2
VERSION=5.73
LINUXFAMILY=sunxi64
BRANCH=next
ARCH=arm64
IMAGE_TYPE=stable
BOARD_TYPE=conf
INITRD_ARCH=arm64
KERNEL_IMAGE_TYPE=Image

$ more /etc/armbian-image-release
# PLEASE DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE
BOARD=nanopineo2
BOARD_NAME="NanoPi Neo 2"
BOARDFAMILY=sun50iw2
VERSION=5.69
LINUXFAMILY=sunxi64
BRANCH=next
ARCH=arm64
IMAGE_TYPE=stable
BOARD_TYPE=conf
INITRD_ARCH=arm64
KERNEL_IMAGE_TYPE=Image
IMAGE_UUID=9bae9d2c-efac-44b0-a948-2f8a60118113

17 minutes ago, dispo said:

it felt like the version info in the banner was useful info when connecting to a box

Well, why providing correct information if the main goal is just to print some fancy stuff on the screen? The whole motd (login greeting) stuff is broken since ever, in the past it delayed login by insane amounts of time, now it simply displays wrong information but as usual one person doesn't give a shit: https://github.com/armbian/build/pull/1129 (how to deal with years of ignorance? Better stay away from such a waste of time).

I seem to have kicked a hornets nest with this one - not my intent :|

For anyone interested I have implemented a quick fix which I will run via cron, the core of which is 

RELEASE=$(uname -v | awk '{print substr($1, 2, length($1)-1)}')
sed -i '/VERSION/c\VERSION='$RELEASE'' /etc/armbian-release