Mysql database on sd card

maxbl4

Hi everyone, I'm building a micro server based on orange pi prime and armbian, after reading a lot about sd card wear out, I started thinking how could I improve that in my project.

For my project it is ok, if data would be physically written to card,  every 1 minute instead of on every commit.

Now, what I can't find: is there a way to generally configure such memory buffering for a filesystem, so that I don't have to configure this for a database engine?

Hi. That setting can be configured through the parameter "commit", in /etc/fstab. As a matter of fact, Armbian has set it by default to write each 10 minutes. But applications can force the write on disk at any time by making a "fsync()" call.

So don't worry about the OS settings, they are already fine with Armbian defaults. Just make sure your MySQL config does not force writing to disk too often.  You can start checking the points referring to MySQL config (not OS config) in this list: https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.5/en/optimizing-innodb-diskio.html