H6 Famous Reboot problem

martinayotte

Dear Martin,

thank you for your reply. I am on

ARMBIAN 5.82.190422 nightly Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS 5.0.7-sunxi64   

But reboot does not work. Am I supposed to do anything else

besides upgrading to the latest nightly?

Thank you in advance!

15 minutes ago, data said:

But reboot does not work. Am I supposed to do anything else

besides upgrading to the latest nightly?

Strange ...

The fix done in ATF was commit more than a week ago.

Did you check with a USB-TTL Serial Debug dongle what is happening during a "reboot" ?

Ok, I connected a TTL cable to the serial port but besides the line

orangepilite2 login: [  172.460867] reboot: Restarting system

I get nothing else.

Do I need a fresh install of the nightly version? Because I just did 'apt upgrade'...

Or is there a way I can keep my existing setup?

It looks like it boots correctly. But there is no HDMI output. But with my prevorious distro there was HDMI output only in U-boot. I go try to find if the rest is working correctly. U downloaded Armbian_5.79.190419_Orangepioneplus_Ubuntu_bionic_dev_5.0.7 for the One Plus.

29 minutes ago, martinayotte said:

Yes !

Reboot works like a charm. IP adress did not change anymore! I am real happy. Only HDMI didn't work with the latest nightly but i use it headless so it's not a problem! Thank you very much for your great work!

3 minutes ago, haajee said:

Only HDMI didn't work with the latest nightly but i use it headless so it's not a problem!

Me too, I'm running headless, but plugging an HDMI monitor is working for me, showing the login prompt in text mode.

So, maybe it is a Monitor compatibility issue ...

1 minute ago, martinayotte said:

Me too, I'm running headless, but plugging an HDMI monitor is working for me, showing the login prompt in text mode.

So, maybe it is a Monitor compatibility issue ...

I will investigate with another monitor and cable. Strangly the 'old' SD shows only u-boot (but more than nothing). You will hear from me ;)

16 minutes ago, martinayotte said:

I've tested with both my computer monitor, a Dell 23 inches, and with an small 10 inches LCD HDMI.

I have tested with a 3.5" HDMI monitor and works correctly! When i connect my STB to the same HDMI port and cable on my TV is works also correctly...? Maybe could i look with the Agama software what i sometime use for work for IPTV stb if i see something different in resolution or HDCP or something. :)

there are still some issues with hdmi but they should be fixed in near future

for now if hdmi is a problem you can try RC kernel version.

i have to warn that 5.1 kernel have bare minimum stuff compiled in to it and if you want something more fancy then you will face some problems.

On 4/24/2019 at 8:02 PM, kexec said:

there are still some issues with hdmi but they should be fixed in near future

for now if hdmi is a problem you can try RC kernel version.

i have to warn that 5.1 kernel have bare minimum stuff compiled in to it and if you want something more fancy then you will face some problems.

Thank you very much for you update! I will wait and what i say i use the orangepi one plus headless so it's not an big problem. I don't has buyed another TV. ;)

Hi, I am using the latest available build (5.83-190426) and I have seen many improvements.
They are still there the spontaneous reboots, and the problem with the wifi firmware, I hope it gets fixed soon.

Now I would like to know how to activate the audio card. I'm adding a vga monitor with the hdmi adapter (HDMI to VGA CABLE from ORANGEPI).
How is the audio activated?

I have played for 2 hours videos from youtube to 720p, then there has been a spontaneous reboot.
The temperature of the CPU was around 82ºc all the time, with an occupation of 82%.

I think I will have to put a fan :) but the temperature is not fault. Sometimes do the reboot with cpu at 45º, for example installing a package with apt-get.

11 minutes ago, maxlinux2000 said:

They are still there the spontaneous reboots

You didn't mentioned which H6 boards you are using ...

12 minutes ago, maxlinux2000 said:

Sometimes do the reboot with cpu at 45º, for example installing a package with apt-get.

If your board is rebooting by itself while at 45º simply by executing an apt-get, your board and/or power supply are defective.

1 hour ago, martinayotte said:

You didn't mentioned which H6 boards you are using ...

If your board is rebooting by itself while at 45º simply by executing an apt-get, your board and/or power supply are defective.

Sorry, I forgot to mention it!
OrangePi3 + emmc + 2GBRam

At this moment I am testing with 2 chromium windows, playing 2 video from youtube at 720p ... perfect! :D
Now I'm missing the audio card

The power supply? I'm usig the original one from orangePi....

It is possible but this behavior is erratic.
I suppose that with the CPU at 80º + the power consumption is higher than when it is at 45º.
Now is one hour that does not reboot..

1 hour ago, maxlinux2000 said:

Another question... is fundamental an heat sink for the H6?

When your board is +80°C it is throttling to 1.3Ghz. So it's slower than a 1.5Ghz sbc then. So yes a heatsink is adviceable. And if you don't use a big f* heatsink like @greg798, then a fan is welcome too. But even at 3.3V it's sufficient not to throttle.

Sound doesn't work yet. I don't think HDMI sound will work soon. Maybe 3.5mm jack can work. HDMI audio doesn't work on all Hx boards. (you can use an USB audio adapter)
The reboot problem isn't normal. If you can, try measuring the voltage at the usb ports. I've had problems with the OPi3 too with unstable voltages. It was better when using microUSB for power. (I know, it's a joke when microUSB is better than barrel jack).

1 minute ago, NicoD said:

When your board is +80°C it is throttling to 1.3Ghz. So it's slower than a 1.5Ghz sbc then. So yes a heatsink is adviceable. And if you don't use a big f* heatsink like @greg798, then a fan is welcome too. But even at 3.3V it's sufficient not to throttle.

Sound doesn't work yet. I don't think HDMI sound will work soon. Maybe 3.5mm jack can work. HDMI audio doesn't work on all Hx boards.
The reboot problem isn't normal. If you can, try measuring the voltage at the usb ports. I've had problems with the OPi3 too with unstable voltages. It was better when using microUSB for power. (I know, it's a joke when microUSB is better than barrel jack).

In this moment, the board is a 1800MHz and 72ºc ... I can't measuring the usb port voltage in this moment... I need to buy a tester, next week I 'll try it.

backing again to audio...  In the system preferences (Volume Control), appear a "Defaul Sink" card...  and the vmeter is playing, but in the Output Devices appear "Dummy Output".

1 hour ago, NicoD said:

Sound doesn't work yet. I don't think HDMI sound will work soon. Maybe 3.5mm jack can work. HDMI audio doesn't work on all Hx boards. (you can use an USB audio adapter)

Actually, it's the other way around. You can copy H6 HDMI audio patches from LibreELEC git. Analog audio needs much more work...

58 minutes ago, jernej said:

Actually, it's the other way around. You can copy H6 HDMI audio patches from LibreELEC git. Analog audio needs much more work... 

Right, I remember somebody already told me. Maybe you, I've got a forgetful mind.
I based my info on this. It states there nobody is working on it. I tried the Orange Pi +2(H3) last week to see if it works there, and it didn't.
https://linux-sunxi.org/Mainlining_Effort

It shouldn't be that hard to get to work. I'd guess HDMI sound is pretty standard. But I'm no developer...

Hi all,

I'm writing from the last nightly build 5.83-190427 on my orangeP3 2GB Ram.... and seem that the spontaneous reboots problem is solved.

Today I installed the complete desktop without problem... only a warning in the characters interface of armbian-config.

I think that it's for debug purpose.

This board is fast enough for simple tasks, like web navigation . I will to try with libreoffice...

regards

MaX

Hello, 

First of all, I give thanks to every body that do this fantastic job with armbian.

Im newbie on armbian and this world of SOCs. I have an OPI One Plus (and a OPI LITE 2 too..) and I have installed last nightly release Armbian_5.84.190423_Orangepioneplus_Ubuntu_bionic_dev_5.0.7.7z.

Seems to works very good. Reboot works fine. But, when I do an upgrade with apt update, apt upgrade, I get 5.84.190505 version. And then, if I do a reboot, board shutdown but when restart (or try do it), there is no hdmi signal nor ethernet connection. The red led is on.

If I unplug power supply and plug again, red led shine but I continue with no HDMI output nor ethernet. I this way continously... 
If I perform a shutdown, it is same situation. Board power off but none when I power on again.

Whats wrong? Has anybody this same issue? What I could to do?

Thank you in advance.

Regards