Problem setting up Vagrant - VT-x is not available

NicoD

I'm trying to set up a build system, but I ran into a problem that I can't seem to find a solution for. 
I've never done this, so I'm a total noob at this.

So steps I took. Set up a virtualbox with Ubuntu Bionic 18.04.
Then followed this guide. https://docs.armbian.com/Developer-Guide_Using-Vagrant/
Until step : vagrant up.
I get an error: VT-x is not available.

Spoiler

nicod@nicod-VirtualBox:~/build$ vagrant up
Bringing machine 'default' up with 'virtualbox' provider...
==> default: Checking if box 'ubuntu/bionic64' version '20190308.0.0' is up to date...
==> default: Clearing any previously set forwarded ports...
==> default: Vagrant has detected a configuration issue which exposes a
==> default: vulnerability with the installed version of VirtualBox. The
==> default: current guest is configured to use an E1000 NIC type for a
==> default: network adapter which is vulnerable in this version of VirtualBox.
==> default: Ensure the guest is trusted to use this configuration or update
==> default: the NIC type using one of the methods below:
==> default:
==> default: https://www.vagrantup.com/do…/virtualbox/configuration.html…
==> default: https://www.vagrantup.com/docs/virtualbox/networking.html…
==> default: Clearing any previously set network interfaces...
==> default: Preparing network interfaces based on configuration...
default: Adapter 1: nat
==> default: Forwarding ports...
default: 22 (guest) => 2222 (host) (adapter 1)
==> default: Running 'pre-boot' VM customizations...
==> default: Booting VM...
There was an error while executing `VBoxManage`, a CLI used by Vagrant
for controlling VirtualBox. The command and stderr is shown below.

Command: ["startvm", "3a1a6bf8-f9d7-4afb-be26-ac1334a6c80a", "--type", "headless"]

Stderr: VBoxManage: error: VT-x is not available (VERR_VMX_NO_VMX)
VBoxManage: error: Details: code NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005), component ConsoleWrap, interface IConsole

I've got an I5 2500K. Intel Virtualization is enabled in my bios.
This is what's on the intel website about my CPU.

Intel® Virtualization Technology (VT-x) ‡ Yes

Intel® Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O (VT-d) ‡ No

Intel® VT-x with Extended Page Tables (EPT) ‡ Yes

My motherboard should support it (ASUS p8z77-v). I can't find anything about VT-x in the BIOS. But from the other forums I red, it should be on when Intel Virtualization Technology is enabled.

I did change this from the instructions : vagrant box add ubuntu/xenial64    to this -> vagrant box add ubuntu/bionic64
I do not think this has anything to do with it.
I hope someone can point me out into the right direction.
Greetings, NicoD

Didnt you already got a armbian-build-system?

If not - why use vagrant and not only the minimal-18.04 Ubuntu in a VirtualBox?

I do only use Virtualbox and there there the is installed the mini-iso of 18.04 64Bit.

I used this page as information: https://github.com/armbian/build

If you got 18.04 minmal 64Bit installed  (including configuring the network) - all you/I had to do is

apt-get -y install git
git clone https://github.com/armbian/build
cd build
./compile.sh

@NicoD BTW: The "vagrant"-page seems to be old because of VirtualBox 5.1.12 (now we are up to 6.04) and 
Ubuntu Xenial (we are now using 18.04 Bionic) ;)

1 hour ago, guidol said:

Didnt you already got a armbian-build-system?

If not - why use vagrant and not only the minimal-18.04 Ubuntu in a VirtualBox? 

I do only use Virtualbox and there there the is installed the mini-iso of 18.04 64Bit.

I used this page as information: https://github.com/armbian/build

I didn't have one. I always used prebuild images.
Now this seems a lot easier than what I thought. I had tried multiple times in the past to follow these instructions
https://docs.armbian.com/Developer-Guide_Build-Preparation/

What do I need?

x86/x64 machine running any OS; 4G ram, SSD, quad core (recommended),
    VirtualBox or similar virtualization software (highly recommended with a minimum of 25GB hard disk space for the virtual disk image),
    Setting up VirtualBox and compile environment is easy following our Vagrant tutorial,
    Docker environment is also supported for building kernels and full OS images,
    The only supported compilation environment is Ubuntu Bionic 18.04 x64 (no other releases are supported! It has to be exactly 18.04 otherwise default compiler versions might not match so if you’re on an older Ubuntu release upgrade to 18.04 now, if you use a newer Ubuntu version start with 18.04 from scratch),
    installed basic system, OpenSSH and Samba (optional),
    no spaces in full path to the build script location allowed,
    superuser rights (configured sudo or root shell).

I thought you needed every bullet point, and I never could run vagrant right. I didn't know what it did, and didn't know why I needed it.

Even this I had done, I was in the build directory  :) If only I had typed ./compile.sh

apt-get -y install git
git clone https://github.com/armbian/build
cd build

Only the last step not. So stupid. Thank you so much, it's clearly a lot more simple than I made it look in my brain. I've now got mini.iso, and started the build process.
It's one of the most simple things, while my autistic brain made it take months just by not wanting to understand it's simple.
Well. Nothing is hard, when you know how to do it.

1 hour ago, NicoD said:

I thought you needed every bullet point, and I never could run vagrant right. I didn't know what it did, and didn't know why I needed it.
Even this I had done, I was in the build directory  :) If only I had typed ./compile.sh

When I did start I also did think I need every bullet-point - you are not alone :)

In the future if you want to be a bit more risky, then you could use

./compile.sh EXPERT="yes"

1 minute ago, guidol said:

When I did start I also did think I need every bullet-point - you are not alone :)

In the future if you want to be a bit more risky, then you could use

./compile.sh EXPERT="yes"

It makes me feel better to know I'm not the only one.
I'll try that another time.
It seems to take a long time to build. I'm building a WiP image for the OPi3. I've overclocked my cpu to 4.2Ghz and it's already more than an hour compiling. I wonder how long this will take.
I'm very glad to finally have this working. But this makes me think I also could use an Odroid H2 for cross-compiling. I hate to have my pc blocked for long. First the N2... :)
Thank you.

I also dont want to block my main pc (AMD 3.0GHz QuadCore) - buildsystem in Virtualbox.

So I do use a Core2Duo 2.4GHz without VirtualBox.

For me it feels faster than the VirtualBox system while building...but really that couldnt be?

If I compile one image for a system the first time it took around 60-70 minutes.

If I compile for the second time for this system a image with small changes it could be low as 20 minutes.

would be interesting to hear your times because your system has more power ;)

3 hours ago, guidol said:

would be interesting to hear your times because your system has more power

Our build server for reference:

[ o.k. ] Runtime [ 3 min ] (kernel ccached)
[ o.k. ] Repeat Build Options [ BOARD=rockpi-4b BRANCH=default RELEASE= BUILD_DESKTOP= KERNEL_ONLY=yes KERNEL_CONFIGURE=no ]

[ o.k. ] Runtime [ 5 min ] (cached rootfs)
[ o.k. ] Repeat Build Options [ BOARD=rockpi-4b BRANCH=default RELEASE=stretch BUILD_DESKTOP=no KERNEL_ONLY=no KERNEL_CONFIGURE=no ]

Our build server for reference:

[ o.k. ] Runtime [ 3 min ] (kernel ccached)
[ o.k. ] Repeat Build Options [ BOARD=rockpi-4b BRANCH=default RELEASE= BUILD_DESKTOP= KERNEL_ONLY=yes KERNEL_CONFIGURE=no ]

[ o.k. ] Runtime [ 5 min ] (cached rootfs)
[ o.k. ] Repeat Build Options [ BOARD=rockpi-4b BRANCH=default RELEASE=stretch BUILD_DESKTOP=no KERNEL_ONLY=no KERNEL_CONFIGURE=no ]
What are the current build server specs?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Still the same 28 x 2Ghz Xeon cores upgraded to 128Gb memory and Samsung EVO 2T NvME (previously SATA 512Gb Transend SSD). Build machine is running in (optimised) KVM virtualisation. Just a little slower than bare metal.

Still the same 28 x 2Ghz Xeon cores upgraded to 128Gb memory and Samsung EVO 2T NvME (previously SATA 512Gb Transend SSD). Build machine is running in (optimised) KVM virtualisation. Just a little slower than bare metal.
Nice.

Ill be inheriting a 20 core/40 thread xeon box with 128G next month. Im brainstorming on what to do with it....

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk