Switching Rockchip64-DEV to 5.0.y ...

I've started looking at switching Rockchip64-DEV to 5.0.y ... I've now my RockPro64 under 5.0.y ...

It look much more easier task than the previous one with Sunxi-DEV ! :P

@Igor , I've pushed a "rockchip64-4.20" tag that will allow to bring 4.20.y into NEXT if we wish ...

Also, is there any reason why RockPro64 still using U-Boot SPL 2017.09-armbian (from Ayufan's branch) instead of Mainline U-Boot such v2019.01 ?

If No, I will switch that too ...

2 minutes ago, martinayotte said:

Also, is there any reason why RockPro64 still using U-Boot SPL 2017.09-armbian (from Ayufan's branch) instead of Mainline U-Boot such v2019.01 ?

IDK and haven't tried that yet.

Perhaps @ayufan  @TonyMac32  @Myy know more about ?

Since some other RK3399 boards are currently running v2018.11, I don't see any reason of having all of them switched to v2019.01 ...

For RockPro64, I will give it a try by doing another build with v2019.01, we will see ...

In the meantime, any comment from any other devs will be welcome, since I won't commit stuff until I've ended the tour of my RK garden ! :lol:

I agree that u-boot is modern enough as it stands, but we should work to get all u-boot for rk3399 boards commonized instead of the double work double functionality double headache we have now

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, TonyMac32 said:

get all u-boot for rk3399 boards commonized

That is why I wish to get rid of U-Boot SPL 2017.09-armbian used by RockPro64 and RockPi-4B (the latest was only because the first used as template).

If we can get both RockPro64 and RockPi-4B running U-Boot v2019.01, the issue will be solved forever ... :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, martinayotte said:

since I won't commit stuff until I've ended the tour of my RK garden ! :lol:

The tour was successful ... So, the commit is now done ! :P

I'm now going back to the task of getting rid of old U-Boot SPL 2017.09-armbian ... :o

Just thinking about the task, it remind be all my struggling between the 2 boot mode of Rockchip back in early December :

https://github.com/armbian/build/commit/c3e46a5d863ebc4d00d666b3a19eed00e3d0c17d#diff-ee77e238b43dce4af9e9f0b7d3f9978a

Personally, I like more this single u-boot binary using this method #2 ! ;)

I will see if that can be generalized on every Rockchip ...

Interesting !

That way you only have to

• get into Maskrom
  • flash one image to get the DDR setup correctly and boot the new compiled U-Boot

Without having to resort to some weird rkdeveloptool incantations ?

I'm all for this too !

I plan from my side to bump to u-boot 2019.01, both for rock64 and rockpro64. I used them in the past, but I wanted to have power of using DDR (Rockchip one, as I'm not sure if it still supports DDR4, there was a problem with that for long time) with a custom SPL on top to bring SPI and other support :)

I almost rebased all my kernel patches both for 4.4 and 5.x to be very minimal set on top.

1 minute ago, TonyMac32 said:

Hi@Ayufan, perhaps then I will focus on the Renegade, I was starting to get into the code last night for mainline u-boot. Have you seen my concerns with Rock64 rev 3?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Could you link me to?