Is ROCK960 support planned ?

ne0zone75

As I am a happy user of Rock960 have question here:

Adding board definition, kernel config etc is trivial. But as I understand there is no possibility for continuous integration and verification from Arbmian community side, right?

So if new broad is added, it will be visible as... CSC?

ahh.. these guys which actually have a armbian logo on their website: https://www.96rocks.com/ but never showed up here? Well.. no dev has it.. and they claimed armbian support before the board was even available.. :lol:

On 7/20/2019 at 2:29 PM, Hijax said:

Adding board definition, kernel config etc is trivial.

kernelconfig respectively boardfamily has to be either rockchip64 or rk3399.. Even as csc I don't want to see a third rk3399 boardfamily.. :D look at the related sources files as well.. for atf you'll need to tweak it maybe..

if possible add it to the rk3399 branch, cause it relies on upstream u-boot.. In case ram doesn't allow it switch to rockchip64.. iirc lpddr4 is not supported by upstream yet (but wip).. but ddr4 and ddr3 should be.

56 minutes ago, lanefu said:

that's so not cool. 

:lol:

well that was back in the days where we were really excited about every rk3399 sbc and immediately supported them cause cool devices.. :lol: The board starts at ~70$ (1gb) up to 100$ (4gb) which is okay.. I like that they sell expansion boards for the m.2 slot. the fact that the board has no ethernet without adding a carrier (and I didn't check if a carrier with ethernet exists) is a bummer.. This might be an interesting sort of SOM for small series high price devices but not a casual SBC for the average user here.

But nevertheless, I hope the few hints for @Hijax may help him to integrate csc support for it. As long as he can provide a sane integration of the board into the buildsystem, I don't see a reason to reject such a PR. Obviously it's then up to him and other contributors to keep those patches alive. Otherwise csc support doesn't live long for it.

Reminds me to the idea of having a staging like structure (https://lwn.net/Articles/324279/) in our buildsystem for csc, eol targets so that we can sort out related patches easily in case they break supported boards. But well, that's one for a different thread..  :D

I have been playing with compiling mainline Linux for Rock960 (A) recently. The manufacturer has pretty much abandoned support for these, they only have legacy 4.4 images. It would be great to have recent Armbian versions for those SBCs.

The A board boots fine with modifications for 5.x (including 5.10) mainline, largely works except for (usb) net (bt, wifi). I may need your folks' expertise with the latest mainline versions to craft updates to the defconfigs to get those components working again.

What files do I contribute to https://github.com/armbian as sufficient initial commit for this board? Do you have those boards 'there', available on hand?

config/boards/rock960-a.csc

config/boards/rock960-b.csc

config/boards/rock960-c.csc

config/kernel/linux-rock960-legacy.config

config/kernel/linux-rock960-current.config

config/kernel/linux-rock960-edge.config ?

any other files?

These already exist in mainline but may potentially need to be patched (I guess upstream when we nail down the changes) to get networking working and to differentiate A/B and C:

arch/arm64/boot/dts/rockchip/rk3399-rock960.dts

arch/arm64/boot/dts/rockchip/rk3399-rock960.dtsi

Thnx